Predatory Practices & RP by LEOs/DAs

Doom slayer

6 hours ago, liq said:

Corruption displayed nowadays is also off the wall. There's realism talks left, right and center but you got a cop selling meth out of a cop car and talking about murdering someone and how easy it is to do so in 2023 and we're meant to believe that's realistic. They beat you in alleys, don't let you record them, try to put you in jail if you somehow "don't comply" and that's called role-play.

Additions to SanGang nowadays are made based on anything and if you complain about the quality of the interaction or the role-play exhibited, you're supposed to take it In Character, for people to get salty when you take it In Character because "well your criminal character wouldn't do X."

There's a common misconception across law enforcement role-players nowadays that being a gangbanger (or any kind of criminal, really) = being dumb as fuck, that being an illegal role-player = (M) and rule-breaking in your name, and that the trolls and idiocy they might deal with on a daily basis = a resemblance of the quality of the illegal scene. This bleeds in their behavior with illegal role-players et al. and you get what the OP is talking about: good role-players fucked over by practices meant to deal with ridiculous 'criminals' that are left to do as they please.

And I'm saying this as someone who's role-played all iterations of a cop for the better part of my time spent here and on other communities.

Law enforcement role-players should be leaders in how they deal with interactions across the server. They should be people that a regular player looks up to for quality role-play, not to see the personification of a polaroid taken in the 80s and 90s about the Department they struggle so hard to portray.

People only use terms like "realism", "fairness", "portrayal" when it proves their point. As soon as it stops serving their agenda, it's out the window. This is known as rules for thee but not for me.

Not many know, but SD deputies receive automatic corruption perms once they done with probation, these perms are unchecked by factions leads and management at all. So what you explain would fall under that type of behavior. I've had far more pleasant experience with LSPD than SASD, before SASD was formed (hell knows WHY!) LSPD held a very high standard on recruitment for Roleplayers. SD shows up and has lower bar, there you have it.

12 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Not many know, but SD deputies receive automatic corruption perms once they done with probation, these perms are unchecked by factions leads and management at all. So what you explain would fall under that type of behavior. I've had far more pleasant experience with LSPD than SASD, before SASD was formed (hell knows WHY!) LSPD held a very high standard on recruitment for Roleplayers. SD shows up and has lower bar, there you have it.

I'd just like to be the voice of reason as an LSSD command member and provide some context to this statement.

We have four tiers of corruption permissions. Tier 0 is not corrupt, tier 1 is moderate, tier 2 is major, and tier 3 is outright criminality. Tiers 2 and 3 require explicit permission from faction leadership to role-play.

What you refer to as deputies receiving automatic corruption perms once they are done with probation is our tier 1 corruption level. Examples of what constitutes tier 1 corruption include:

• More inclined to "write off" calls and disregard common complaints;
  • Hesitant to jump into fights, will prefer to wait for all parties to tire each other out;
  • More likely to rough up suspects in the sense of throwing a few extra unnecessary punches or kicks, especially when out of the public’s view;
  • Due to length of time spent in department and rapport built with other deputies, will be more likely to follow blue code of silence, regardless of personal differences among one another;
  • Minor abuse of drugs and narcotics (i.e. marijuana or prescription painkillers), alcohol abuse, arriving at work inebriated or still whilst under the influence.

Anything beyond these examples is deemed major corruption and requires explicit permission from the faction's leadership team. I would like to add that the LSSD values its recruitment standards and holds applicants to a high regard. Role-play is scrutinised in an invaluable way with the newly incorporated academy session, to gauge player's role-play abilities and immerse them in scenarios which they may encounter in the field. We are taking steps to better the experience for our members and the server as a whole, and if you have any specific feedback you would like to offer I would be grateful. You can reach out to me here or on Discord josef#0002 if you wish to discuss this further.

• Upvote 12

There's a lot of misinformation and speculation within this thread. I can understand the general consensus around the AIR units — it is honestly such a powerful tool within legal factions but it's hard to manage and 'police' so to say. Helicopters can see the majority of everything (from a game perspective) but that doesn't mean the players within those AIR units should (for the sake of fairness) role-play seeing everything. There's an awkward line in-between that sometimes does border the boundary of unfairness, but then strays on the line of staying within the game rules.

AIR is great for a multitude of reasons, but can negatively affect the majority of the player base for other reasons. Ultimately, the impact of the AIR unit depends on the flyer themselves and if they want to role-playing seeing what they see or let the person go.

Vash Baldeus, you have recently had the tendency to just type things without having any actual information to back your points up. Spreading disinformation like how you are causes unnecessary headache and frustration, something which ultimately won't end well for any party. You obviously have a negative impression towards the faction, it's apparent in your tone and lack of substantial claims. Joe summed it up. The LSSD has a fantastic sifting process on recruitment, and then a rigorous monitoring and executive staff team leading the faction. 

Legal factions (every single one) need to be accepting of newer players and difference in quality. There's people who are joining with no prior legal and or role-play experience — we must be the pioneers to teach people and correct their mistakes. People do (sometimes) act out of rules and regulations to which are then handled internally via our rigorous executive staff team but I understand you have absolutely zero understanding or knowledge about it, because you're not in one.

Liq's point on corruption is some-what accurate. I think corruption (at certain times) is over-exaggerated and exacerbated to a point where it borders on the bridge of a movie-like character. This, by nature of allowing individuals the freedom to role-play a character can never just 'change' or 'stop' as we allow rigidness and creativity. I think the important part of internal regulation of corruption is the context of why characters become corrupt because seeing a screenshot of a concerning corrupt-esq scene can look silly and unrealistic. Every faction has had people that stray from the 'norm' and go over the top — it's human nature and this just takes regulation. We aren't here to police people, we're here to make sure they're providing a fun, realistic and fair experience to the community. 

The initial poster's concern about the skipping of a bond is completely understandable and from first look (without any consideration) is concerning. Legal factions when cooperating with illegal players have always had this awkward divide because to make crime feel impactful, we must provide a deterrence and feeling of sub-punishment when a crime or restriction is broken because without it there's no substance in a character (who commits these crimes) to develop or come to the understanding and importance of how a legal faction needs to respond. 

The bond prices are quite high and yes that is a realistic amount, I'd agree with the poster and say it'd be best if the prices were revised to a slightly lower amount. (Albeit the JSA have already stated it was accidental, so probably null now) I do think it should be high, but not in the millions. But it is imperative that we all feel impacted by breaking a law from an in-character perspective, otherwise there's no weight or substance to anyone's actions. 

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
4 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The Sheriffs Department does have tiers of corruption, can you elaborate on what you meant a little?

11 hours ago, jromjeksin said:

That's not actually how bond works. When you pay bond, you usually pay it through a bail bond agency who will guarantee your return to court for future appearances and are the ones who are held liable if you do not show up. The defendant only pays 10% and any money the bail bond agency has to pay for the defendant's failure to appear is re-collected through CIVIL MEANS (seizing cars / property signed as collateral). DOJ/Courts do not fine defendants for the full bail amount if they fail to appear.

thanks for educating and correcting me /srs

On 3/22/2023 at 3:00 PM, OliHaydes said:

We now specifically have practices in place in the DAO to prevent things like this happening. 

Thanks for commenting; I appreciate the stance you're taking as a faction lead. 

However, the exorbitantly priced fine is incredibly recent. You say you've prevented it from happening, but clearly this is not the case. We can discuss more in PMs about this if you'd like. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, pogoyo said:

Bumping this for some more discussion.

OP still has all assets seized and a pending fine for over a million dollars. AIR units continue to do stuff that is downright silly.

image.png

Are there /two/ air units in the skies in that image?

• Upvote 2

I feel like there definitively should be more transparancy on the whole ordeal regarding the use of air units - back in my hayday on MTA, you would get a /district where you would be aware that there was a helicopter hovering/in motion over you when a helicopter was in the area. This was benefitial as the helis stop rendering way before they would realistically be out of your view.

• Upvote 1
  • Reece? locked this topic