Mapping Suggestion: add multiple layers.

Naru

Detailed Description

The situation now is that when you map, every item is stored in one single layer. So when you want to manage your furniture, every item, walls to rugs are in the same list.

When adding multiple layers to choose from, you can categorize your furniture into important layers, making it easier to manage and more transparent in the future for yourself or future owners of your mapped property.

An idea is to add 4 different layers to choose from:

Constructional: A layer for all the walls, windows, doors, stairs. Everything for your properties skeleton as it were.

Furniture: A place for all the tables, couches, chairs, basically everything you can buy in an IKEA.

Decorative: A smaller layer for all the decoration items like plants, painting, toilet paper etc etc..

Miscellaneous: An extra layer for your needs where you think all the rest don't match, like electronics, your blowup doll, ...

Relevant Commands/Items

I'll leave this for the dev team to find a way to add this option in a user friendly manner.

I was thinking of an extra shortcut when an item is selected (the moving and rotating menu), in which layer you want to have it placed, scrollable with + / -.

How will it benefit the server?

Will make it much easier for mappers to find a particular item because it will be organized.

I, for example, love to work with existing interiors but I want to have it look renovated. So I want to delete every furniture, decorative or other item that is not a wall or window etc.

When you have different layers, you can choose to delete a whole layer with a single click and have the construction remained.

Follow-up suggestions are welcome!

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2

+1 I also think all trim and  glass objects should go to the construction layer if this suggestion is implemented.

I also would like to suggest adding tags to items in the furniture system. I didn’t post a suggestion for this personally because I realize how much work would have to go into it, but basically the idea is to have tags for pieces of furniture to make it easier to find objects you’ve never seen before. For example, a speaker can have two tags “indoor” and “sound”. The idea is to tag objects by object type, and other defining features so that you have multiple ways of searching for furniture, with /sf and with the tags.

• 7 months later...