[Discussion] What can improve RP interactions between players and general RP standards?

Mistery14

On 6/30/2022 at 2:39 AM, Power said:

I'm just going to be blunt man. The reason people keep beating a dead horse is because there has been no progress been made or real solutions being presented by management. Like I respect how responsive you have been in these threads but you can't expect this to stop just because you are passively aggressively deflecting these complaints with all due respect. If you are going to close the thread, close the thread but I don't understand why you expect things to change just because you pop in these threads and start deflecting without offering solutions or plans.

I honestly think we might not be taken that seriously. Or that's what it feels like as a regular player. And the thought of boycotting the server as far as donations or even playing on the server goes doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I've encountered many players in the past week who begin being toxic in /b once something doesn't go their way in RP and they report me.

A boycott sounds very rough. But what can we do? These threads aren't helping us. It's so far the best thing we could do as a playerbase to show Nervous and rest of server management that they need to act fast and clearly instead of just "discussing it amongst themselves".

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, MarcusD said:

A boycott sounds very rough. But what can we do? These threads aren't helping us. It's so far the best thing we could do as a playerbase to show Nervous and rest of server management that they need to act fast and clearly instead of just "discussing it amongst themselves".

Thats the problem tbh. It just seems like if you know someone OOC or spend real life cash it tells how far you'll get on here. I personally checked out when banned players got someone who had a huge positive roleplay influence on people got perm banned. But they'll allow the same rulebreakers to continue ruining it for everyone else. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Muerta
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Muerta said:

Thats the problem tbh. It just seems like if you know someone OOC or spend real life cash it tells how far you'll get on here. I personally checked out when banned players got someone who had a huge positive  rolShrug eplay influence on people got perm banned. But they'll allow the same rulebreakers to continue ruining it for everyone else. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Exactly. We've got to remember that the server is a business. It makes money for the owners.

Take away the money, the owners get scared and fix the issue. Or if we take it further, we stop playing on the server. Trust me. A few days of low player counts will drive the change. A change doesn't happen overnight but they've had months now.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, MarcusD said:

Exactly. We've got to remember that the server is a business. It makes money for the owners.

Take away the money, the owners get scared and fix the issue. Or if we take it further, we stop playing on the server. Trust me. A few days of low player counts will drive the change. A change doesn't happen overnight but they've had months now.

I think the most I've seen done was when LSRP was meant to drop LMAO.  

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Should have stayed in the white name gang! Paywalling certain kind of RP, behind real money, is big no no for me.

Also on original topic, soo many ajail messages read that person getting 60 min ajail because of long history of rule breaking. Sounds like a person who doesn't learn from mistakes and also about 1-2 month perm bans... Kinda kills the meaning of permanent and ban... 

Edited by Lindsie
  • Upvote 1

in reality its not really the server so much as the people playing it. there's far too many people that enjoy fucking around and playing rp servers over other servers that actually suit their playstyle and few people actually roleplaying. a lot of people that think they understand roleplay then proceed to have bland 2d characters that behave in ways that dont even make sense and begin and end with 'role' and type as short and character-less as humanly possible. there's a lot of favoritism on every end, there's a lot of unwillingness to coexist and a lot of troll behavior. in the car scene you have a bunch of people rping cat ears lesbians with 0 regard for realism. in the gang rp scene you have everyone fighting eachother oocly and trolling to make the other party mad and incite dm between themselves so they can play tdm. in the leo scene you have personality-less drones that  are simply there to play lspdfr where the other players are the npcs instead of just shitty gta ai. in the normie legal scene you have all sorts of weird shit and stupid clashing behaviors. and in general on gta rp very few people from all sides ever get along properly the way roleplayers should and acknowledge that everyone has a type of char they enjoy portraying, instead you get people shittalking icly with attempts at offending the player rather than the character. people using weird 4chan-esque behavior while playing characters that wouldn't even give a fuck about the topics they're raging about (dont get me started on criminal characters randomly obsessing over an fb char posting something their player doesnt like so they go out of their way to troll lmao).

the root of the problems is literally just the mindsets of a large amount of the playerbase for gta text roleplay. anything else is just adding ontop of that. if we fixed every little inconvenience with the server that players have, it still wouldn't change the experience much at all because the players will act the same which will result in the same old back and forth. the amount of people i've seen that are capable of really good and authentic roleplay sacrifice a ton of their rp standards just to fuck with someone or troll and yet still try and take the high ground as if they're a superior roleplayer than everyone else is crazy. im not immune to it either but ive been observing that shit go on continuously for the past 4 yrs on this server and even longer on gta rp in general. i never have a single issue with RP standards or actually having a good time on the server when im surrounded by actual roleplayers that are just playing to enjoy the experience and develop chars. the moment i start branching out and rping with a lot more people is usually when the problems arise cause of how many people just wanna troll they dont like instead of rp. there's a balance between taking roleplay seriously enough to keep it actually roleplaying and not taking it seriously enough that you can just flow with w/e happens and have fun and majority of the playerbase massively fails at maintaining it. either too serious to the point of bitter elitist that isnt actually even as good as they think they are, or so careless of the concept of the server that they just shit on it and ruin the experience for everyone around them.

tl;dr its the average player that's the root of majority of the issues and it wont change until the average player changes

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, smo said:

in reality its not really the server so much as the people playing it. there's far too many people that enjoy fucking around and playing rp servers over other servers that actually suit their playstyle and few people actually roleplaying. a lot of people that think they understand roleplay then proceed to have bland 2d characters that behave in ways that dont even make sense and begin and end with 'role' and type as short and character-less as humanly possible. there's a lot of favoritism on every end, there's a lot of unwillingness to coexist and a lot of troll behavior. in the car scene you have a bunch of people rping cat ears lesbians with 0 regard for realism. in the gang rp scene you have everyone fighting eachother oocly and trolling to make the other party mad and incite dm between themselves so they can play tdm. in the leo scene you have personality-less drones that  are simply there to play lspdfr where the other players are the npcs instead of just shitty gta ai. in the normie legal scene you have all sorts of weird shit and stupid clashing behaviors. and in general on gta rp very few people from all sides ever get along properly the way roleplayers should and acknowledge that everyone has a type of char they enjoy portraying, instead you get people shittalking icly with attempts at offending the player rather than the character. people using weird 4chan-esque behavior while playing characters that wouldn't even give a fuck about the topics they're raging about (dont get me started on criminal characters randomly obsessing over an fb char posting something their player doesnt like so they go out of their way to troll lmao).

the root of the problems is literally just the mindsets of a large amount of the playerbase for gta text roleplay. anything else is just adding ontop of that. if we fixed every little inconvenience with the server that players have, it still wouldn't change the experience much at all because the players will act the same which will result in the same old back and forth. the amount of people i've seen that are capable of really good and authentic roleplay sacrifice a ton of their rp standards just to fuck with someone or troll and yet still try and take the high ground as if they're a superior roleplayer than everyone else is crazy. im not immune to it either but ive been observing that shit go on continuously for the past 4 yrs on this server and even longer on gta rp in general. i never have a single issue with RP standards or actually having a good time on the server when im surrounded by actual roleplayers that are just playing to enjoy the experience and develop chars. the moment i start branching out and rping with a lot more people is usually when the problems arise cause of how many people just wanna troll they dont like instead of rp. there's a balance between taking roleplay seriously enough to keep it actually roleplaying and not taking it seriously enough that you can just flow with w/e happens and have fun and majority of the playerbase massively fails at maintaining it. either too serious to the point of bitter elitist that isnt actually even as good as they think they are, or so careless of the concept of the server that they just shit on it and ruin the experience for everyone around them.

tl;dr its the average player that's the root of majority of the issues and it wont change until the average player changes

So to get back to the topic, what can we do to improve this situation?

2 hours ago, Muerta said:

Thats the problem tbh. It just seems like if you know someone OOC or spend real life cash it tells how far you'll get on here. I personally checked out when banned players got someone who had a huge positive roleplay influence on people got perm banned. But they'll allow the same rulebreakers to continue ruining it for everyone else. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Can we stop calling donators donators? Let's be real for a minute here, these people "donating" are doing it for a P2P service. I'd like to be treated as a customer for once rather than just some pleb who randomly keeps throwing $50 a month of my irl money down the drain because I want to "sUpPoRt tHe sErVeR". I, like many other donators, pay willingly to get this service so that I can offer the mapping service that I sincerely enjoy doing... because I have to if I want to do something as simple as map an interior with more than the dumbass 50 object limit. I do this so that I can creatively express my character's personality by using a decent walk style to generate deeper immersion into the roleplay experience. So that I can get a decent amount of outfit slots. For namechanges. To be able to do something as basic as open my business and place a /bad! Because of this, and the hundreds of others like me, we bring serious monthly revenue to this community. And let's not kid ourselves, that's what this is - it's a business. I sincerely doubt that any more than 2% of the donators are doing it to simply support the community. Well every once in a while it'd be nice to get some actual customer service instead of this dogshit "i'll look after my friends" culture of the inner OOC circle of friends. I'm not demanding to have my way all the time, but come on, it wouldn't surprise me if between myself and just a couple of other friends have collectively spent close to $2,000 over the last 12 months to access these services that are locked behind a paywall. So far it seems to me that the concerns of the customer base are ignored, while the shareholders are making off with all the cash. This isn't even a shot at Nervous though. He's honestly got his hands full with constant 24 hour development. My hat goes off to him. But the majority of the rest of his administration team leave MUCH to be desired.

Edited by Psychedelic
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
19 minutes ago, Psychedelic said:

Can we stop calling donators donators? Let's be real for a minute here, these people "donating" are doing it for a P2P service. I'd like to be treated as a customer for once rather than just some pleb who randomly keeps throwing $50 a month of my irl money down the drain because I want to "sUpPoRt tHe sErVeR". I, like many other donators, pay willingly to get this service so that I can offer the mapping service that I sincerely enjoy doing... because I have to if I want to do something as simple as map an interior with more than the dumbass 50 object limit. I do this so that I can creatively express my character's personality by using a decent walk style to generate deeper immersion into the roleplay experience. So that I can get a decent amount of outfit slots. For namechanges. To be able to do something as basic as open my business and place a /bad! Because of this, and the hundreds of others like me, we bring serious monthly revenue to this community. And let's not kid ourselves, that's what this is - it's a business. I sincerely doubt that any more than 2% of the donators are doing it to simply support the community. Well every once in a while it'd be nice to get some actual customer service instead of this dogshit "i'll look after my friends" culture of the inner OOC circle of friends. I'm not demanding to have my way all the time, but come on, it wouldn't surprise me if between myself and just a couple of other friends have collectively spent close to $2,000 over the last 12 months to access these services that are locked behind a paywall. So far it seems to me that the concerns of the customer base are ignored, while the shareholders are making off with all the cash. This isn't even a shot at Nervous though. He's honestly got his hands full with constant 24 hour development. My hat goes off to him. But the majority of the rest of his administration team leave MUCH to be desired.

I’ve donated over a thousand dollars to the server and can’t even be afforded the right to a ban appeal 😂 

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

So to get back to the topic, what can we do to improve this situation?

if you want my brutally honest opinion? very little if anything at all. this subject is futile as fuck in 2022 gta rp climate. but i'm pretty jaded so someone else might have better answers than i could give.

there's not much anyone can do aside from keep trying to push people in the right direction, but in today's climate that's easier said than done. this topic in todays gta rp climate is almost useless. a server could be perfect, great administration, great management, a good donation model that's fair and not hyper invasive, literally everything could be the perfect god-sent, ideal fairy tale version we tell ourselves we want - this would still be a topic on the forums and people would still be fighting eachother over it. i guarantee it. the best you can do is just simply try. whether its trying to make a player shift his behavior to a more matured and friendly approach to rp which will naturally cause standards to raise little by little. i noticed this during my couple years warring with bad rpers in the car scene trying to make everyone friends with eachother and rp standards come to more realistic and immersive versions of themselves. it worked with a relatively sizable group but never lasted due to stubborn, narrowminded mindsets of players. myself and a couple others got majority of the car scene to be chill and to focus more on roleplaying and group culture and it was seemingly working but its always temporary, evident in how the car scene is now after we all stopped. that same thing spans pretty much all of gta rp as well.

the only things i could say will help is admins being more involved in helping people get better at a given form of rp. listening to the people in here talking about stuff like ifm etc. i cant talk on that personally since my lurkerisms leave me out of the loop on the interworkings of things like that since i dont do gang rp anymore or really ever even get involved in a lot of the ooc side of the server or faction side of things. i just observe a lot of behavior on forums, ig etc, hence my opinion on where the true root issue comes from. i dont mean to discount the other issues though. they're just as valid, and will likely help a little bit. i unfortunately dont have a good answer for a solution to the issues other than listen and do your best and hope the coin flip lands in your favor in the end. if so many people are complaining about x y or z then maybe its time to analyze those things and experiment with different ways and procedures. there's been plenty of posts in here that imo are echoing a lot of what i've been hearing even since back in the day when we first moved to ragemp. at some point you gotta make changes and see if it works, if it doesnt, make new changes and keep doing it until it sticks. this kinda stuff is very trial and error. there's no right or wrong answer because 1 answer might solve it for only 1 small minority while another could end up solving it for a larger portion and we'd never know.

my only advice would simply be to read the complaints and the posts with potential solutions and just start trying new methods of handling things ingame because its very clear it doesnt quite work the way things are being done right now. there's a lot of shit in place that IMO is useless and does nothing to really stop or solve an issue - and in some cases even just makes it harder for the people with higher rp standards to get their chance. a small and meaningless example of that that i can think of immediately is the car thing with leasing a car. any bad rper can get help writing up something that'll convince people to give them a car. not everyone wants to go crazy on some app just to get a car for their char tho and there's a lot of people that have those crazy rare cars and rp like shit around them. it's not very significant i know, but the significance isn't really the point moreso that there's a lot of shit like that in the server and not all of it is insignificant either.

listen and plan, and dont be afraid to try things or get rid of things in place for new ways of handling it. it might work in a general sense but there's a reason a lot of people complain about it. ifm is a pretty good example. the amount of shit i've seen, heard and been shown while still nothing has really been done. it might be a good place to start. do i have the answers on how to fix it? no, but something definitely ain't right if so many people are fed up with it. the others commenting have had some really good solutions to some of the non-player based issues imo but i feel like they get ignored because of the way they sometimes express their feelings, but it has to be understood that people are highly fed up. patience is needed, if a solution is questioned and someone gives one but their language is a little foul or disrespectful cause of their anger about a given situation and they're just thrown out of the line for consideration due to that, then the problem will never be fixed.

Edited by smo