Remove assets on name change, potentially with a part refund.

Narcan

1 minute ago, damnbrah said:

every character that's created starts with around 200k to get sorted out with a place to live and a car. if u own 3 properties on one character, roleplaying all of them before u decided to NC said character but then rp owning all of them after the nc is just ridiculous. those asset transfers are forbidden for a reason, just cause u nc a character doesn't make it less stupid.

I’m just wondering because in this hypothetical world, Joe gets killed. Whether it’s a voluntary CK or forced is irrelevant, he is killed and is forced to sell his property. Who does he sell it to? How does he get his property back? If he can’t, where is he going to get another property? What will he do, and where will he live while looking for a new property for this character that just plops down in the middle of the city? What about ordinary people that don’t have 3 properties or money to have that many? What about people who are in factions? Should they be kicked out of the faction too? 

3 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I’m just wondering because in this hypothetical world, Joe gets killed. Whether it’s a voluntary CK or forced is irrelevant, he is killed and is forced to sell his property. Who does he sell it to? How does he get his property back? If he can’t, where is he going to get another property? What will he do, and where will he live while looking for a new property for this character that just plops down in the middle of the city? What about ordinary people that don’t have 3 properties or money to have that many? What about people who are in factions? Should they be kicked out of the faction too? 

he doesnt sell it to anyone cause he's dead, lol

On 5/2/2022 at 9:42 AM, Narcan said:

I don't care so much about the properties as it doesn't affect my genre of roleplay that much

Exactly. I’m glad you finally admitted it. You want to adjust the way things work to better suit your RP, without considering others “genre of role play”. 

Let’s say pre-ck I have 10,000 grams of cocaine and then I get ck’d. My new character starting out as an established person with 10,000 grams of cocaine doesn’t affect you or anyone else any differently than it did before I ck’d as the assets were already live on the server. 

As for properties, you suggested a refund. Yeah - no. If I spend 30 hours oocly mapping a property for myself, I shouldn’t lose it because it’s a new character. 

You want to speak to the “lore” of a house and who owned it? If someone dies and the property is defunct and no one pays the IC taxes, it would in theory go up for auction or be foreclosed and resold by the bank. There, my new character bought it at auction. Problem solved. 

-1000. No please. 

Edited by Fergie
17 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

So everyone has to start homeless? 

How many people do you think own their house irl compared to the percentage of those that have to rent? Nobody's saying you have to start homeless at all, it would help if you read the discussion instead of jumping to conclusions. For the last time, you get refunded and keep the money - you just simply have to find a different place to live on your new character. If your argument is still the same then ask yourself, why does every newly made character have to start homeless? It's the same thing.

12 minutes ago, damnbrah said:

hey, unauthorized asset transfers are forbidden! let's just nc a character and keep the assets instead, it's perfectly fine cause irl money was spent for the nc.
i'm totally with you on this one, it's just dumb.

every character that's created starts with around 200k to get sorted out with a place to live and a car. if u own 3 properties on one character, roleplaying all of them before u decided to NC said character but then rp owning all of them after the nc is just ridiculous. those asset transfers are forbidden for a reason, just cause u nc a character doesn't make it less stupid.

Exactly, the argument being that namechanges fuel the server and people buy them to keep their assets is false too. One, namechanges probably make up the pocket change of server income, as a prediction don't quote me. Also, you'll still be keeping around the rough value of your IC assets from before anyway so you don't really lose any money and if you do it's a minor inconvenience. How is that hard for people to just find a new house?

9 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

So what happens to the property then?

0GT83AE.png

2 minutes ago, Narcan said:

How many people do you think own their house irl compared to the percentage of those that have to rent? Nobody's saying you have to start homeless at all, it would help if you read the discussion instead of jumping to conclusions. For the last time, you get refunded and keep the money - you just simply have to find a different place to live on your new character. If your argument is still the same then ask yourself, why does every newly made character have to start homeless? It's the same thing.

Exactly, the argument being that namechanges fuel the server and people buy them to keep their assets is false too. One, namechanges probably make up the pocket change of server income, as a prediction don't quote me. Also, you'll still be keeping around the rough value of your IC assets from before anyway so you don't really lose any money and if you do it's a minor inconvenience. How is that hard for people to just find a new house?

it's hard for them cause everyone gets to keep their shit after a nc lmaoo

9 minutes ago, Fergie said:

Exactly. I’m glad you finally admitted it. You want to adjust the way things work to better suit your RP, without considering others “genre of role play”. 

Let’s say pre-ck I have 10,000 grams of cocaine and then I get ck’d. My new character starting out as an established person with 10,000 grams of cocaine doesn’t affect you or anyone else any differently than it did before I ck’d as the assets were already live on the server. 

As for properties, you suggested a refund. Yeah - no. If I spend 30 hours oocly mapping a property for myself, I shouldn’t lose it because it’s a new character. 

You want to speak to the “lore” of a house and who owned it? If someone dies and the property is defunct and no one pays the IC taxes, it would in theory go up for auction or be foreclosed and resold by the bank. There, my new character bought it at auction. Problem solved. 

-1000. No please. 

Firstly, I'm saying it doesn't affect my genre of roleplay because most people in it do this anyway. They namechange to join a new faction and sell their house, we don't get obsessive over the asset in general. 

You having 10,000 grams of cocaine does affect people. It affects people trying to come up in the criminal underworld, especially if you're selling that cocaine. Players are developing into this avenue and trying to be creative, yet you deem it okay for yourself to just spawn in with an undeveloped name-changed character and move like Pablo. You need to find new IC connections and move into this underworld like everybody else, not just be placed into it because your previous character was.

Lastly, with all due respect if you spent thirty hours creating a house then that's on you. You spent thirty hours on a roleplay server not roleplaying, so I have little sympathy. It's great if you ICly built the interior as a designer or via construction roleplay but guess what? You just name changed so that character roleplaying in that field no longer exists. 

13 minutes ago, Narcan said:

I’m trying to follow you it’s just hard to visualize for me since we have fundamental differences in how we look at and experience the property market. Renting actually never occurred to me. I’ve seen it before, but the concept is weird to me. You have to pay weekly, the prices are extortion and often renters are tied to ERP drama. You have no security or foundational basis and require a constant stream of actively generated money. Renting is also incompatible with casual players who aren’t online every day. And “bought” properties, often apartments, are almost always roleplayed as being rented.

So in the hypothetical you can get (some) of your money back but the property you had is gone, so what property are you suppose to buy? When a police officer is killed they can make a new character, they retain their rank and position within the faction. All they have to do is file a namechange, add a background summary of who their new characters is and how they got to their position and you’re ready to go. But now they don’t have anything, don’t have a place to live or whatever. Are they expected to roleplay sleeping at the homeless camp near Textile City?

And what about other people that don’t enjoy the toys legal factions provide for free? People who had a business, or people who just roleplay a civilian or criminal character. What do they do? What’s the purpose of this? Because I could very easily see someone spending 1000+ hours losing everything and just deciding to quit the server instead of spending the months it takes to find, buy and furnish a property. It took me nearly a year to get a property on my old character after losing one, and many others spend around the same time if not more. I can’t wrap my head around the simplicity of “just get a new house lol”, I’m definitely not seeing something you are. Whether it’s availability among properties or something else. 

12 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I’m trying to follow you it’s just hard to visualize for me since we have fundamental differences in how we look at and experience the property market. Renting actually never occurred to me. I’ve seen it before, but the concept is weird to me. You have to pay weekly, the prices are extortion and often renters are tied to ERP drama. You have no security or foundational basis and require a constant stream of actively generated money. Renting is also incompatible with casual players who aren’t online every day. And “bought” properties, often apartments, are almost always roleplayed as being rented.

So in the hypothetical you can get (some) of your money back but the property you had is gone, so what property are you suppose to buy? When a police officer is killed they can make a new character, they retain their rank and position within the faction. All they have to do is file a namechange, add a background summary of who their new characters is and how they got to their position and you’re ready to go. But now they don’t have anything, don’t have a place to live or whatever. Are they expected to roleplay sleeping at the homeless camp near Textile City?

And what about other people that don’t enjoy the toys legal factions provide for free? People who had a business, or people who just roleplay a civilian or criminal character. What do they do? What’s the purpose of this? Because I could very easily see someone spending 1000+ hours losing everything and just deciding to quit the server instead of spending the months it takes to find, buy and furnish a property. It took me nearly a year to get a property on my old character after losing one, and many others spend around the same time if not more. I can’t wrap my head around the simplicity of “just get a new house lol”, I’m definitely not seeing something you are. Whether it’s availability among properties or something else. 

I can't speak on what police officers can and can't do but I'm more than with you. The issue with that isn't anything to do with property or assets, more the fact they're allowed to do that in the first place.

There's plenty of property around, I'm just assuming they aren't what you have in mind. It's a problem that can easily be taken ICly. Sometimes irl you have to settle for an area because others you looked at didn't have anything, or were not what you were looking for. Where you roleplay well this is happening is completely up to you, it doesn't have to be homeless. There's motels you can roleplay living in as you're looking for a place, or say you're staying with a family member until you can find somewhere.

If it took a year, or over, then the problem is with you and your preference of what property you want. You clearly only want the best your character can afford, since I found a property in my factions territory two days after opening it. My friend then got one a floor down, literally days later. Properties are there, its just the lavish ones that are taken. Solving this is a byproduct of my suggestion. You can afford a great house but there aren't any? Someone namechanges and it becomes available. Do you not think that part of the reason certain properties may be so rare is because when people name change, they keep them and sit on them?

A great point was raised earlier of that, you can't transfer your items without a request. So why can you just namechange and keep them? Because it's the same slot?