Using real life brand/model names in-game

Aquila

13 hours ago, Aquila said:

Gun brands exist, like Hawk & Little, Coil (also car manufacturer) and Shrewsbury, though I recently found out that Power Metal and Vom Feuer are also gun manufacturers. Most people call guns by nicknames or alternate names anyway, so it doesn't matter. The performances of the guns differ to real life though if I'm not mistaken.

But Hawk & Little, Coil, Shrewsbury, Vom Feuer and Power Metal are not fleshed out manufacturers.

Pistol, Combat Pistol, AP Pistol, Assault Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Carbine Rifle. These aren't exactly the most specific names. Bravado Buffalo, Bravado Buffalo S, Karin Sultan, Karin Sultan RS. 1st and 2nd Generation Gallivanter Baller's - LWB, SWB, unarmored & armored versions of the 2nd gen.

The vehicles can be roleplayed around properly without resorting to a confusion of real life makes and models. It was almost neccessary to do that in the past with SAMP simply due to the lack of universe that surrounded the vehicles. We don't have that problem with cars anymore, but very much still with almost everything else.

I don't find this an issue except for vehicles. 

I believe people should refrain from saying stuff like "nice mustang", since I might roleplay it its lore equivalent or heck, even another vehicle. Even then, I don't find this so immersion breaking. There are a bazzilion other things that could irk me, but I don't think this is one of them.

Should people be more careful with vehicle brands? Yes.

Is this an issue for anything else but vehicles? No.

7 hours ago, Lance said:

OCo82aC.png

Topic not really about the law, it's about brands. R* gave us their own brands, yet people use IRL ones. Laws are the same IG and IRL. GTA is based on real life afterall. We can change traffic laws, drive on a red light and stop on a green ofc if you wish. And it doesn't affect too much, however for some people(I'm one of them) mixing up GTA brands and RL brands is just confusting and slightly immersion breaking. I don't mind if people mix brands of cigarettes that much, but mixing vehicle model names...too much.

@Insanity It's a general discussion, not a suggestion thread to just throw in a support/unsupport and leave. Add reasons. Discuss.

Don't really see how such thing will confuse you. It's not like you're a five year old who can't differentiate between a Bufallo and a Mustag, if that's what'll get you confused.

Immersion breaking... If you let such small detail ruin your immersion then I don't want to know what other micro details will ruin your immersion. 

I don't use IRL car brands myself but it doesn't bother me one bit. 

Also, guns got in-game brands too, and I'm pretty sure you've used some IRL gun brand more than thrice. This whole discussion is rather silly imo, is it specifically irl car brands and alcohol brands that ruin your immersion?

As others have said, this really isn't an issue. Let people be free to build and create RP as they please. Sure, you might find it a bit odd when someone tells you their Sultan is a Subaru Impreza, but it's really not a problem and for the player it's most likely allowed them to go far more in depth with their car and its parts and generate more roleplay.

If people were making adverts for their cars with the real life counterpart and not clarifying the brand or identifying other players' vehicles as a real life brand that's more problematic, but it's really not a big issue and not even occurring at this point. The focus on an RP server is simply to create interesting, compelling and consistent characters and stories, and if using real life brand cars helps enhance that in the player's eyes then all power to them.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Rheotic said:

It's not like you're a five year old who can't differentiate between a Bufallo and a Mustag, if that's what'll get you confused.

I can't differentiate between a Buffalo and a Mustang, mostly because I don't live in the US (so muscle cars are just literally not a thing here) and I don't think I should be supposed to know, by heart, what every single RL brand and model and year of car looks like in order to play here. And before you ask (or make a demeaning comment like the "five year old one", I like it, it's very 5RP ^^), I'm well over 5. 

2 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

I don't think I should be supposed to know, by heart, what every single RL brand and model and year of car looks like in order to play here.

You don't - just like you don't need to know every car in GTA V - which many of us don't know either. All it takes is for a car to be referenced and then a quick Google search to figure out what it is.

A related point though... If we're using RL car brands, why are we against using RL car mods? It would solve the entire problem with one swing. A Buffalo's a Buffalo and if you want a Mustang, just use a Mustang from one of the (many) RL car mods available no? Looks like it would solve the entire problem at once.

I always tend to use content within the GTA universe when I RP. Since GTA 5 launched they really fleshed out the state of San Andreas as we know it and added tons of additional content in terms of vehicles, companies etc.

Since the GTA universe often base its content on real life stuff, but with a certain twist, I don't really see why we need to search for content outside the GTA universe. In regards to the topic of this thread, the vehicles or companies in question when RPing already has an established name and has quite some story behind it (GTAWiki). For example, if I sell a Buffalo, I don't call it a Dodge. If I mention I studied at college, I tend to say Greenglass College rather than Cambridge or any other famous schools.

I think it eliminates confusion when we ALL draw our content from the existing GTA universe rather than picking stuff from IRL that other people might never have limited knowledge of. It limits irregularities in roleplay, I think.

Edited by Arnzeal

Boy this got tedious real quick.

I agree with the latter, it doesn’t affect immersion at all, it can just cause some mere discrepancies which are easily solved. My solution? Roleplay cars as their GTA name and don’t mind everything else such as cigarettes. If we were to go full GTA V “lore” then we’d be in trouble.

People are just getting silly now. “Ok well how about THIS!” Nah. Crisrko basically hit the nail on the head for me. People need to stop nit-picking.

Edited by Nervous