[LS Tribune] Mixed reactions as dirtbike and ATV ban bill passes Senate committee stage

books

CUcjRXa.png

LATEST | POLITICS

Mixed reactions as dirtbike and ATV ban bill passes Senate committee stage

As the "Unfit Vehicles Ban from Roads 2021" bill passes a Senate Committee vote, reactions from the public seem mixed

TLyzrsh.png

By PHOEBE HOLTER

LOS SANTOS - Barring two absences and one abstention, the Unfit Vehicles Ban from Roads 2021 passed through the Public Safety Committee last Wednesday with six votes in favor and none in opposition (votes listed at the bottom of article). The bill, proposed by Senator Rudy Benson (R), seeks to ban dirtbikes and ATVs from public roads in the city and according to the wording of the bill, comes after reports from the Los Santos Police Department and the Sheriffs' Department of an increase in crime involving the use of these vehicles. 

Senator Benson (R) also spoke in length on Facebrowser to members of the public inquiring about the bill and explained that the bill also contains a road safety element. “All 50 states determine what is road legal and a majority of them completely outlaw ATVs/dirt bikes from the road”, Benson wrote in a Facebrowser comment. “These are meant to be recreational vehicles and not to be used to commute to work.”

96YiUSO.png

Public roads like these are where ATVs and dirtbikes may soon be banned

“This is something we're trying out. Safety is the biggest issue. A majority of states have banned ATVs and dirt bikes from public roads - even coming out to say it's been effective in reducing fatal accidents.” - Senator Rudy Benson (R), in a Facebrowser discussion with a concerned member of the public

Introduced on August 21st, the bill had caused some debate before it hit the committee vote due to alleged issues with its constitutionality in regards to a clause allowing searches of drivers of such vehicles. District Attorney Melanie Cromwell raised concerns on Facebrowser, stating that this clause “would allow LEOs to search citizens for driving ATVs and dirt bikes within city limits, which is simply against the 4th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States”. 

QJecl9j.png

District Attorney Melanie Cromwell on Facebrowser

Republican Senator Noah Wade, who was one of the six Senators who voted to pass the bill through the committee stage, said in response that the bill was still due amendments and that he would “personally make sure this bill remains constitutional”. It is understood from a later statement from Senator Benson (R) that this clause was “completely removed from the final product that was submitted to the Public Safety Committee”.

“With the recent bill introduced to the Senate by myself, I’ve been accused of being anti-constitutional. I would like to first and foremost state that this is false. I would like to publicly apologize for the mistake I made with the quoted section, however. The intent was for the police officer to use that tool when probable cause was established and not for an officer to use as first-resort when approaching the scene. This line was, understandably, misinterpreted. As a result, the cited portion has been completely removed from the final product that was submitted to the Public Safety Committee.”  - Senator Rudy Benson (R), Facebrowser

Besides issues with constitutionality, respondents to a poll by Democratic Senator Valeria Reyes (who abstained from voting during the committee stage) on Facebrowser had mixed reactions to the news of the bill passing the Public Safety Committee. 

FePBthm.png

Valeria Reyes' poll on Facebrowser gets mixed reactions

“The ban hurts law abiding citizens who drive these vehicles every day“, one respondent wrote. “This ban won't affect them whatsoever, it only affects the legal citizens who own ATVs/dirtbikes and use them responsibly,” another said. “And since they're banned, they're gonna end up in trouble when they mean no harm, and could end up fined/with a criminal record when they're just well intended people who happen to own dirtbikes”. 

However it wasn’t all negative, some voiced their support for Benson’s bill, especially in regards to the road safety element.

“My boy Benson is out here doing some good work for the people of Los Santos. What you don't understand is that this makes vehicles lacking turn signals, incorrect treads, and poor safety features illegal for public roads in the city.“ - Facebrowser commenter, voicing their support for Benson’s bill

Facebrowser's younger demographic may not lend itself to be useful at revealing the bill's true popularity. Clearly, it has some degree of support both in the Senate and with the public, despite the vocal backlash it has recently received online. Senator Rudy Benson (R) mentioned that he may be holding a town hall to discuss the bill with voters before the final Senate vote to hear their concerns, which he hopes will coalesce support for the bill amongst voters.

A blanket ban on dirt bikes and ATVs on paved roads will never gain unanimous public support. But whether or not the negative reaction that has hit the bill so far sustains itself and causes Senators to drop their support for it is still in the balance. Senator Valeria Reyes (D) has already voiced that they intend to vote against the bill during the final hearing. Will others also take that stance? It remains to be seen.  

Committee vote results

YEA:

Frank Ernst (R), Rudy Benson (R), Raul Munoz (R), Noah Wade (R), Gabriella Beltran (D),  Edward Ulf (D)

NAY:

None

ABSTAIN: 

Valeria Reyes (D)

ABSENT: 

Diana Jones (D), Jonathan Spencer (R)

aj4U0lb.png

12LHO78.png

(( /banktransfer amount Phoebe Holter LST Donation ))

What are your thoughts on a potential ban on ATVs and dirt bikes from public roads? Share them below.

Comments are enabled on this article

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by books
  • Upvote 2

Username: Brooklynn99

Comment: I usually like to start a delate reply as thoughtfully as I can. But this is just stupid. 

The fact that these vehicles are being pushed into the dunce corner because individuals decided to ride them with wreckless intent or Rob others. This has nothing to do with these particular vehicles.

So if people start driving over the place at high speeds and robbing people with muscle cars or sports car.... wait a moment, that's already an issue in LS and Blaine. As a proud resident of Blaine County, I can vouch for the harmony and well-meaning of the residents who have to rely on these vehicles on top of 4x4 trucks.

Note; this isn't for recreational use, it's because the roads/routes in the county are beaten all over. We have to get to work, to a friend's home, to go out and have some sense of liberty, which is a key word here I. American I believe? 

If it's a case that we can still use these vehicles on the dirt, them that is at least something. But this just seems wrong, this won't stop people from driving vehicles at high speeds, parking terribly or plotting ill will on others; THAT is down to the individual.

Godspeed everyone.

Username: jackson222

Comment: this is literally the standard in every other metropolitan area in the rest of the united states. except they're ban outright for being unsafe to drive on roads instead of this half-assed shit

congrats on finally... becoming slightly more modern los santos?

just ban off-road vehicles entirely. jesus

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 1