Addition to Common Courtesy: Crime Prior to Server Restart

This is a partial continuation to the following suggestion;

As a law enforcement roleplayer that plays during the server restart layover nightly, it has become abundantly clear that some players knowingly take advantage of the server restart for the purpose of avoiding any repercussions. Server restarts not only clear any form of evidence, but also provide a buffer on log in to run from the situation / avoid retaliation if not already involved in a pursuit. It's not even once or twice a week that we will experience these 'pre-restart shootouts' but maybe once a week that there is not some form of attempted crime around when the 'server restart in five minutes' message populates even when otherwise quiet. This also usually occurs in groups more than single persons. I've had a CK in the past I was unable to investigate as all evidence was wiped shortly after.

My solution until the script provides adequate support for evidence to persist after restart would be to add an additional clause to Common Courtesy stating that no crime should begin within 10 or 15 minutes of server restart, and if a crime is committed within 30 minutes of restart the player should be required to log back in after said restart until 30 minutes have passed.

I believe there is an unspoken section of Common Courtesy about people having to commit to logging back in if the server restarts/crashes etc, but nonetheless I agree with this suggestion on stating that no crime should be committed within 10 minutes of the server restart.

2 hours ago, Wisci said:

no crime should begin within 10 or 15 minutes of server restart

This is essentially impossible, I believe. In certain circumstances, the threat of crime and violence stops characters from making certain decisions, going to certain areas and locations, moving items, etc, etc. This will lead to all kinds of weird situations and players taking advantage of a pre-restart invulnerability, much the same as happens now  but the other way around. It is commonly understood that the 30 minutes rule doesn't suddenly stop being relevant when the server restarts. As for the destroyed evidence, this is a technical issue that should be resolved when possible, rather than using new rules to fight symptoms. Perhaps as a way to prevent serious issues as you described, perhaps CKs near restart time must be admin supervised? That would help a little bit.

6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

This is essentially impossible, I believe. In certain circumstances, the threat of crime and violence stops characters from making certain decisions, going to certain areas and locations, moving items, etc, etc. This will lead to all kinds of weird situations and players taking advantage of a pre-restart invulnerability, much the same as happens now  but the other way around. It is commonly understood that the 30 minutes rule doesn't suddenly stop being relevant when the server restarts. As for the destroyed evidence, this is a technical issue that should be resolved when possible, rather than using new rules to fight symptoms. Perhaps as a way to prevent serious issues as you described, perhaps CKs near restart time must be admin supervised? That would help a little bit.

Nervous has already stated certain evidence such as casings can't be persistent on server restart. That's in the linked post.

I think the consequence of someone deciding to do donuts gang turf because they think its funny, or a person deciding to move a shotgun from point A to point B (who does a planned convoy at 7AM) are less detrimental than people stacking two cars four deep and driving into opposing turf to start a shootout. It's 100% abuse of the need for a restart, and it's very clear as day when you have these crimes nightly.

If characters want to go to certain places or move items only because they have a 'crime free' timer, there's nothing stopping them from just logging in just after restart when the server is dead aside from people running to look at houses.

Edited by Wisci
On 8/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I don't think anything can be really done about it for the aforementioned reasoning provided by mj. While it surely is an issue, it's a technical one & any rule tweaks won't improve the situation, but only make it worse.