Borderline powergaming with regards to languages

Anton Tszyu

A server I played on in the past actually had a language system. When you made your character you chose their native language. If you wanted to learn a new language you had to "unlock" that language by either buying a language book from the library, or have an admin unlock it for you. Once unlocked, unless set to level 100 by the admin, you had to go around and use the language to "level it up", so to speak. 

So for example, lets say my character has english and spanish unlocked. I can toggle back and fourth between what language Im using with a simple command. If someone with a level 1 understanding of Spanish sees me talk all they see in the chatbox is basically gargled text like "Syrsfh Daailkb Afujs Fue?". But let's say they had worked there way up to something like level 50 spanish, they might be able to understand half of what I was saying. So it would become something like "I hatj wijn it rajnk becahure it floodh the strects". Then at level 100 they would see "I hate when it rains because it floods the streets". 

I suggested adding this in the past and a bunch of people complained that it was "ToO RpG LiKe FoR ThIS SeRvER" which translated to me as "I'm mad I won't be able to metagame". As someone who RPs a character who speaks spanish, it'd be nice to actually be able to not have conversations MG'd/PG'd by people.