Unecessary Escalation of Trafic Stop

Glunar

2 minutes ago, RoamPT said:

So Officers can't roleplay being irritated with someone and go the full length of the law? My character will be the chilliest cop sometimes, but if he's irritated by your actions he will go all out on you. Me personally I would have issued him a SHAFT code violation as well in this scenario. You are not putting the puzzle pieces all together. Reckless driving, not informing an Officer of being armed, plus using the old "be quick/hurry up" remarks. That will be enough to trigger many characters. He lost his licenses and he can re-apply later on again, that will be decided by FLD when. This mentality of when a cop acts the full extent of the law being called robocop is really irritating to say the least.

Imagine destroying someone's career because he told you to be "Quick please"

14 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

I don't know man, I still don't think any officer would have bothered to go through that process and paperwork when faced with a perfectly compliant, law abiding individual. We throw around the "it's IC" excuse way too often to excuse this kind of thing. Sure sure, I get it... It's IC, it's not against the rules. But take a step back and consider whether the fact that it falls within the rules means that it's actually within the scope of the game. Are you providing quality roleplay? No, you could have literally been replaced by an NPC at this point and no difference would have been made whatsoever. What about giving him a stern scolding? What about reminding him the process? So if he was slightly sleepy IRL and forgot to mention that he's carrying, that's reason enough to ruin his life? That's just a silly thing to propose.

Also he's clearly dressed like a guard, in front of the club DT... There was no threat to her life whatsoever. That excuse is just petty tbh.

And of course, he still has the option of disputing the charge and the revocations by going to court ICly, but what happened to "we're all here to have fun and help each other roleplay?". To force him to go through all that shit for nothing, literally nothing, is beyond cruel and inhumane.

Well it's definitely not a good thing for a security guard (which in reality takes actual learning for u to become, you dont just get a CCW and GC and claim you're a security guard in real life, you have to know these things otherwise you're putting yourself into a dangerous situation, and also endangering the lives of those around you.

Sure, it's reasonable to think that maybe Hannah Kai should've maybe scolded him in character, given him a warning or something of that nature. but in my opinion it's unreasonable to expect her to take any OOC shit into account during the IC situation. Maybe Hannah sympathized with the player OOC, but ICly she realized he was a security guard and thus should've known this, so she did as an officer is meant to do and made an arrest.

Yes, we're here to have fun and roleplay and to assist each other with our roleplay, but the assisting part isn't an in character obligation and should never be thought of as such. I definitely don't see Hannah's actions as cruel and inhumane, they were IC actions coming from an IC character.

15 minutes ago, Dalekfodder said:

I guess the point here to consider is simply the fact that this person lost the character development he has been building, and practically put on a freeze for 3 months (provided that the SHAFT violation isn't dropped) based on a tiny bit of technicality. The only real complaint I could make here is the lack of care and sympathy on officer's behalf from an OOC perspective. When you approach it with an utilitarian approach, there's nothing the officer (or the community overall) gained from this except another quick "zinger", as I like to call it. The same point could have been made with a slap on the wrist and a warning and it could have been built into something better, rather than the destructive outcome this interaction had. There's Officer's discretion on purpose.

I can't find myself agreeing with this on this instance because when you think about it, his intention wasn't ever to hide that he has a gun. He simply didn't know when to tell. I would reach out to claim that this is obvious to most that reads this. If he had taken any action to escalate this further rather than trying in his best to cooperate, your point would have made complete sense. And intention matters, a lot.

From an ideal point of view I will agree that there's no point in claiming what's realistic on how a person would react but it's in my firm belief that, we as players should contemplate the OOC consequences of our actions to a certain degree and display some empathy in sacrifice of realism to produce a fun environment for everyone.

Despite his intentions probably being good, I still stand by my statement that it's an IC issue. If Hannah's character isn't the type to have sympathy for someone who realistically in that situation should've known the rules, she's that type of person. There's nothing more to it imo.

2 minutes ago, Glunar said:

Imagine destroying someone's career because he told you to be "Quick please"

In the end it just sounds like you are upset over a IC issue, and trying to express your sour feelings in this "General Discussions".

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

I fail to see any issue here.

Let's take an example out of real life here

Here we have a traffic stop involving a simple turn single violation. This eventually esculated to the point of a lawsuit filed in court for violation of the couple's constitutional rights, it was a turn signal violation.

If you go down this rabbit hole, you'll notice a trend in traffic stops, cops don't really care too much about traffic violations, they'll pull someone over at first for said violation, but they're looking for other misdemeanors or criminal offenses first and foremost. Why? Because American policing is a complicated, hot-buttoned issue, and it also depends on results. More tickets and arrests looks good.

Why did I bring that example up?

It's perfectly reasonable to pull someone over for RECKLESS driving, an issue in LS that has killed and maimed thousands of people due to horrible drivers not caring about others lives while on the road, so thats an IC issue. Next up you're a guard with a loaded, legal firearm, that cop is gonna test you on that knowledge, so combined with the fact that you failed to drive safely, you also don't fully understand the laws of the SHAFT code, and could, in the cops mind, recklessly endanger the public's life by carrying a legal firearm that you may not use responsibly.

In my eyes, this is a perfectly valid use of escalation on the cop's part from an OOC perspective. From an IC perspective? Kinda scummy, but that's not an OOC issue. You got played, should've driven safely.

I actually watched that video when it was first released, this is a very very poor example on your end.

First and foremost, the police officers in this video were biased as fuck. Just cause he was black, they were paranoid from the get go.

Secondly, for anyone that actually lives in the US and has had interactions with the various law enforcement agencies, this isn't standard behavior. I've been pulled over with my 20% tints and the cop literally told me "nice tints", even though I'm 15% below state legal. On GTA:W they would have pulled the mighty tint meter and given me a ticket :D.

There's a huge trend in the PD where everyone is a fearless, by the book badass. Not everyone is like that, there are multiple (in fact perhaps the majority) cops that enjoy the casual aspect of police roleplaying and have well thought out characters, but this robocop "hur dur imma take your licenses away" kinda behavior borderlines routine at this point.

This is an entirely in-character situation that stemmed out of your character's own wrongdoing. You character can decide to contest this decision in character, and claiming that someone's behavior "is robotic" is unnecessary, especially if that's your first and only interaction with that character. Anyway, I will be closing this thread before spirals into another witch hunt. IC is IC. If a character is an asshole, you make a fuss about it in-character, not complain on a thread and accuse the player of something.

• Upvote 1
  • Bombie locked this topic