Allow us to disable the local OOC chat, client-side

onefortyseven

Short description: Add a command that allows us to disable the local OOC chat.

Detailed description: This was a thing on all the heavy roleplay servers I've played on previously, and after hearing that we don't have it here, figured I'd suggest it - Allow us to disable the local OOC chat, with the exception of messages sent by an on-duty administrator still being steamed to the players who have the local OOC chat disabled.

Commands to add: /togglelooc (/toggleb, /togglebchat, /togb)

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? I'm sure that I speak for a good number of players when I say this - We don't want to have our chats blown up by random senseless and mindless local OOC messages while we're involved in a RP scenario. It just clutters the chat, it doesn't look good and it's a genuine pain when it comes to editing screenshots for the people who do that. Please allow us to disable the local OOC chat altogether, with the aforementioned exemption.

Additional information: N/A

Edited by Brian
  • Applaud 1

I can't fully second this, honestly. It might, eventually or not, cause a lot of confusion and whatnot. If you're RPing in a public area, you should be expecting that to happen. Nevertheless, excessive unnecessary use of local OOC is frowned upon and should be treated. With that suggestion? It'd be aswell better to remove local OOC entirely so as to not cause any confusion, which isn't going to happen.

Edited by Jaxium
40 minutes ago, Jaxium said:

I can't fully second this, honestly. It might, eventually or not, cause a lot of confusion and whatnot. If you're RPing in a public area, you should be expecting that to happen. Nevertheless, excessive unnecessary use of local OOC is frowned upon and should be treated. With that suggestion? It'd be aswell better to remove local OOC entirely so as to not cause any confusion, which isn't going to happen.

I mean, I can see your side but if there's something terribly off, any and all confusion can be cleared through a simple /pm. Now, of course, the local OOC chat can be a valuable asset sometimes but it just gets old and boring when you roll up to a scene and expect to roleplay and then moments later you find your chat cluttered with random out-of-character messages that have little to no relation to what's going on, or its someone complaining how they've got scammed over fifteen grams of dope or caught by the cops after gunning down three civilians in broad daylight.

Edited by Brian

I would LOVE this, but the problem I encountered in other servers is that people might use /b for legitimate reasons and then you won’t see it.

People also tend to use /do as a substitute to /b once they realize it’s disabled...

Edited by LennyBE

As much as I like the idea of less /b, I think it would be confusing for people who don't realize it's something that can be toggled on / off. Personally, I'd love if there was no /b all together since I find it ruins in-character immersion, but I doubt that would actually happen.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 5:11 AM, LennyBE said:

I would LOVE this, but the problem I encountered in other servers is that people might use /b for legitimate reasons and then you won’t see it.

People also tend to use /do as a substitute to /b once they realize it’s disabled...

This is why I do not support this recommendation. These incidences rarely happen, on my end, as-well. Report those that breach common courtesy rules by going into "/b" when it it excessively unnecessary. Generally, "/b"-related discussions should be in private areas, not in public, which would disrupt other people's R.P.

-1 Not supported.

6 hours ago, DLimit said:

This is why I do not support this recommendation. These incidences rarely happen, on my end, as-well. Report those that breach common courtesy rules by going into "/b" when it it excessively unnecessary. Generally, "/b"-related discussions should be in private areas, not in public, which would disrupt other people's R.P.

-1 Not supported.

I agree. But, maybe, implement it only for donors?

• Wuhtah locked this topic