BRAND VS. GTA LORE/NO BRAND clothing

Tennplugg

Just now, bidi bidi bom bom said:

Gucci would do that if GTAW uses it for promotional usage or financial gain, which they wouldn't. GTAW has their own clothing line, that has nothing to do with Gucci. So Gucci wouldn't give a damn.

It doesn't have to be financial gain or promotional usage. Even free to play games need permission from the Intellectual Property (IP) holder to use their copyrighted and licensed products. Why would GTAW be any different? It is still a service that users can play. This is even more so important due to GTAW taking donations/payments from its playerbase.

Edited by Marksman
2 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

Gucci would do that if GTAW uses it for promotional usage or financial gain, which they wouldn't. GTAW has their own clothing line, that has nothing to do with Gucci. So Gucci wouldn't give a damn.

You don't seem to understand how copyright law works. You cannot use any companies logo on your website, game, TV show or movie at ALL, it doesn't matter if you're using it to promote your product or not you cannot use someone else's IP in your IP at all , period.

Just now, Marksman said:

It doesn't have to be financial gain or promotional usage. Even free to play games need permission from the Intellectual Property (IP) holder to use their copyrighted and licensed products. Why would GTAW be any different? It is still a service that users can play. This is even more so important due to GTAW taking donations/payments from its playerbase.

There you go, you proved everything I said right. "Donations". They're counted as donations, not anything else. 

2 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

There you go, you proved everything I said right. "Donations". They're counted as donations, not anything else. 

Are you not reading or paying attention at all? It doesn't matter if you're giving the game or movie away for free, you CANNOT legally use another companies logo in it at ALL. If you went and made a F2P game today and had Gucci branded clothing in it you'd receive a cease and desist because it's ILLEGAL.

Just now, Torlo said:

You don't seem to understand how copyright law works. You cannot use any companies logo on your website, game, TV show or movie at ALL, it doesn't matter if you're using it to promote your product or not you cannot use someone else's IP in your IP at all , period.

That's why LSRP never got sued with the mods with irl brands? That's why GTAW hasn't been sued because of people using irl brands as clothing mods? That's why both servers haven't been sued because of weapon and vehicle models being RPed as their irl counterpart? That's why Rockstar Games didn't get sued by the US for using New York and shit within New York as references for RDR2 when the US gov or NY State could've sued em, which I can guarantee R* didn't get permission for. That's also why god knows how many other games and TV shows haven't been sued for the same thing? Yup, my point exactly.

4 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

That's why LSRP never got sued with the mods with irl brands? That's why GTAW hasn't been sued because of people using irl brands as clothing mods? That's why both servers haven't been sued because of weapon and vehicle models being RPed as their irl counterpart? That's why Rockstar Games didn't get sued by the US for using New York and shit within New York as references for RDR2 when the US gov or NY State could've sued em, which I can guarantee R* didn't get permission for. That's also why god knows how many other games and TV shows haven't been sued for the same thing? Yup, my point exactly.

I'd like to point out at SAMP did not have server side mods at all so if people ran around in modded clothing it was client side, as is modded branded clothing in GTAW, it's client side, Gucci cannot sue GTAW because people use their own mods to play on GTAW. You also cannot sue people for using New York in your game, New York is not IP and neither is the United States.

Edited by Torlo
33 minutes ago, Marksman said:

This is a fantastic point I haven't even BEGAN to consider.

With all of the clothing we have currently, you're free to RP it as whatever the fuck you want because it doesn't have any real brands on it. If suddenly there is a bunch of Nike, Gucci, etc clothing items in the game, you're now LIMITED to RP'ing it as such, because that's what it says. Branded clothing would only limit a players ability to RP what they want.

Say it with me. Branded clothing mods limits RP.

why are u limited to rping it as such? u realise the mod wont replace existing shoes? 

Just now, bidi bidi bom bom said:

LMAO WHAT. Those mods were all player made. They were never put in by the server. If the server DID put them in, you bet your silly ass they'd get a letter, minimum, cause LSRP's made a few million $$$ over the decade and a bit. Do I need to re-tell the story of the Hells Angels faction on LSRP that got a CEASE AND DESIST letter from the real Hells Angels?

Hey, you know how Rockstar uses locations like Liberty City and San Andreas instead of New York and Los Angeles? That's the reason why, lmao. Rockstar games are parodies, they don't need licensing permissions. If they started using real shit then they would need some degree of permission from whoever holds the copyright to it. That's. How. The. Law. Works. If you're unable to comprehend this then I don't have any desire to continue this debate with you.

Just now, Shekh said:

why are u limited to rping it as such? u realise the mod wont replace existing shoes? 

Because if a shirt says Nike on it, you can't RP it as something else? I'm fully aware what we can and can't do, I'm on the modding team. But if you start adding branded clothing, that clothing can't be RP'd freely by players like all of our current clothing can. That's limitation.

• Syrike locked this topic