RP Quality of Life - Available Jobs

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I'd say it is generally lack of interest, I still remember when it was the other way around. Mirror Park tattoo studio was opened and people there were nice and roleplayed everything. Yep that's where I had my back done, given arm was already set prior to roleplaying this character. I see people in general being bored with just standing around behind a counter waiting for customers. Nervous went through for those few interested in such by blocking scripted gas stations or stores whenever a roleplayed one is opened. But the rpg element at fault here is "getting money". Also many people either forget or don't even think about roleplaying the most trivial things in quality of life, like cooking, eating, grocery shopping, or even chilling at the beach or pool or whatever.

I think that is where it all goes downhill. Those simple necessities in real life are turned to a hassle in roleplay and slow people down, not really, no they don't.

Bare in mind that connections between roleplay and real life lack a VERY BIG point - enjoyment. I need to live my life obviously, no matter how joyful it may or may not be. But when I start to cough up 60-100% of my spare time that I have (yay capitalism!) then I have a vastly bigger interest in spending that time enjoying myself. Why would I roleplay with myself cooking in my apartment - I could do the same thing IRL and at least enjoy tasty food in return. This translates into more enjoyment. That's the break even point that I personally follow and while I do also roleplay situations that are disadvantaging me if they come up or I get myself into them, hell will freeze before I start treating my RL-time with such little respect that I start doing meaningless, boring, unenjoyable things on a RP server. 

This argument also lacks power because most people bringing them up barely cover all necessities. How many times do you roleplay taking a shit? When was the last time you roleplayed doing your tax returns? 

I think standing behind a counter, waiting for someone to come and spend RP as well as money with you is way more bearable when you know that people can't avoid you to spare time and money by driving to another location.

It's also extremely unrealistic that businesses operate without employees. The garages don't and I see no valid argument as to why the other businesses shouldn't fall under the same rules as the garage. If anything garages have a way higher customer base due to the nature of the community than the other stores have.

• Upvote 2

I am not arguing about anything, merely presenting my opinion. I am not saying people should roleplay this or that. Only saying that many people don't do that, It isn't bad if they exclude such moments from their roleplay. I do include things like cooking or even a toilet at times just to pass time or when I need to step away from computer I normally roleplay shutting myself in the toilet or something. Garage naturally has more popularity cause people want their cars to be unique, fast, with better locks etc etc, roleplaying a store is more slow paced. Yeah it is what it is. To have everything outsourced by players, rather than scripted ones is way more enjoyable. But the player count does not add up to it.  Also when it comes to roleplaying cooking, I kinda started some time ago when I worked in a restaurant and a bar. I did cook there as well. So it became a habit if I roleplay with someone at home I sometimes include cooking. Also tattoo shops were a thing and it sure could continue, given people are actually getting something after their rp session much like in garages.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, Coni said:

It's also extremely unrealistic that businesses operate without employees. The garages don't and I see no valid argument as to why the other businesses shouldn't fall under the same rules as the garage. If anything garages have a way higher customer base due to the nature of the community than the other stores have.

I wholly agree with this point in particular. Both businesses provide a product and a service, yet only one of them require active employees to make any form of money. Why's that? 

Personally, I don't think allowing garages to also operate without employees would make any form of sense, however I also believe other types of businesses should function in the exact same way. Such business owners aren't motivated to hire people, and why? Because they don't have to! Besides, they're making more money if they don't have to pay any employees anyway. 

As mentioned by someone before, neither of these businesses provide anything that is essential to roleplay, meaning you can easily postpone buying the things you need for a later time. I can only think of gas stations - running out of fuel and not being able to get any is going to be largely annoying, which is why I reckon the /fuel command should function regardless if there's an active employee or not. A station with an active employee pops up? Every other spot is closed. That's the best way of going about this that I can think of.

19 hours ago, Kestalas said:

(something that they should be doing anyways even with no one around, but most everyone simply pulls up, turns their car off and types /refill as if it magically refills itself). 

lol this is a game. i don't want to waste time doing a /me fills car. when I could be doing something that actually enhances my character development. You can apply the same logic to (un)locking your vehicle, or even walking.

40 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

lol this is a game. i don't want to waste time doing a /me fills car. when I could be doing something that actually enhances my character development. You can apply the same logic to (un)locking your vehicle, or even walking.

Because typing an extra line to fill up your car takes so much time right? What’s the difference between that and having to /me pulls out gun from his bag? I’m sure that enhances character development pulling out a weapon, right? Lol please. Takes the same amount of time but one you can get reported for if you don’t do it, the other is just being a heavy RP’er, which is what this server calls itself. It’s just a matter of being consistent with your roleplay whether someone is around or not. 

Edited by Kestalas
23 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Because typing an extra line to fill up your car takes so much time right? What’s the difference between that and having to /me pulls out gun from his bag? I’m sure that enhances character development pulling out a weapon, right? Lol please. Takes the same amount of time but one you can get reported for if you don’t do it, the other is just being a heavy RP’er, which is what this server calls itself. It’s just a matter of being consistent with your roleplay whether someone is around or not. 

and voice rp servers that have squeakers rping as middle aged gangbangers are called high rp too

It's boring RP. I don't play this game for boring roleplay lines no one cares about and has no affect on my character. /me pulls out his gun is obviously going to dictate the result of a concurrent situation

• Upvote 1

The inconsistency starts with the script because you need/can be inside your vehicle while you start the refill. If you would force players to step out of the vehicle in order to refill it, the insentive to drop that /me would be signifcantly higher as they already had to do half the work anyway. 

I agree with both parties but I guess the issue is not that people refuse to RP meaningless tasks it's more that they go out of their way not HAVING to rp those things. That's where the issue arises.

I feel it's perfectly fine for someone not to bother with it when there is no benefit or interaction coming from it with another player and he's essentially just doing it for himself. That's like masturbating without feeling anything - why do it? 

It's a whole different issue when a gas station clerk is actively providing roleplay for this task and people just skip that gas station for another to avoid the RP. Even if it's a meaningless task it would involve a second person and create roleplay as well as justify their employment. Which makes something like refilling a vehicle drastically worth more (even for your character development, @shotgun_sam. Maybe you befriend the clerk, maybe you argue and become enemies, etc.) 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Coni said:

en if it's a meaningless task it would involve a second person and create roleplay as well as justify their employment. Which makes something like refilling a vehicle drastically worth more (even for your character development, @shotgun_sam. Maybe you befriend the clerk, maybe you argue and become enemies, etc.) 

I didn't mean if people were around. I was only referring to when you are alone. If people are around the of course you put the effort in to roleplay

That's where you both find middle ground then. 

Most people here so far agree that those things should not be doable by yourself in the first place. In germany there is a extremely low amount of self-service gas stations. If a gas station is closed, it's closed. You either drive the extra mile to fill up or you plan ahead. There is no magical force allowing you to pump gas, buy cigarettes, get tattoos, shop clothes or repair your car without someone working in one of those positions. 

TL;DR: We want shops to stop being functional without employees. We want business owners to have a need to a.) work in their store, b.) employ people or c.) sell it as it's not making money without the first two. We want tattoo parlors, clothing stores, gun stores, gas stations, 24/7s and barbers to operate under the same rights and rules as the garage. WE! WANT! FREEEEEEDOM! (sorry got carried away).