The future of medical roleplay

28 minutes ago, Shrekowski said:

As the former Deputy Head of Hospital on LS-RP (both on SAMP and rage) I find hospital roleplay on World to be extremely lacking in terms of organization. For example, on LSRP we had PHMC under ooc control of the LSFD which gave hospital staff a direct link to FD for assistance with things. ICly the hospital was independent of LSFD but OOCly we worked close together to provide a seamless experience from pre-hospital to hospital.

Maybe some folks from PHMC can enlighten me. But I haven't been interested in going back to hospital because if I'm being honest? I didn't know PHMC was an actual hospital faction til around a month ago and I feel it needs a lot more exposure. Whether that's through putting it under juri of FD oocly or just advertising more.

no. As Deputy Commissioner from LSRP LSFD at the time we kept having the debate of keeping All Saints or scrapping it. Having both entities separate was always the plan. Both entities here work far better being on their own.

Gonna put this out there as I havent seen much mention of it from my skim but don't just view medical RP as hospital/emergent care. When there's a whole pharmacology sector to back up PHMC. You want realism? Let people start producing medical grade opiates and actually consider how LEGAL factions can massively help out illegal factions by the intermixing of drug scripts. The example I use here will be on marijuana because im still angry to my core about what went down in 2021. Once again by having legally sanctioned drug production factories and capabilities, you open up both the illegal market to a major increase in supply and quality which can be cut and spread freely without as much reliance on drug labs under chicken shops. You open up an avenue of illegal RP into mainstream legal RP by opening up the main avenue of every day irl citizens experience with the criminal underworld, sweet sweet drugs. Those factories supply the hospitals/fd/clinics and half of the cities illegal demand. Same can go for the opiate script. Where users could both use the aforementioned industrialized RP to create modern day street drugs like Fentanyl.

PHMC will never be the next SADCR or TTCF, it won't be a Rockford plaza style attempt at an RP hub. I can't speak for the current administration of PHMC as I retired months ago. But if you want to see a PHMC more widely utilized, think outside the box on what hospitals represent in our current societies. Both the cure and the creators of modern problems.

Also on the topic of privatized EMS services, the idea itself is not bad. But the very small 1% minority of medical RP players who have a tendency to gate keep, belittle and otherwise detract from the widespread enjoyment of those providing EMS whilst claiming to be hardline enforcing absolute realism. If that issue can absolutely be avoided by LFM, I could see it being successful and working well. 

Edit- Gonna expand here on what I mean with the first and second paragraphs.

To understand why concepts like illegal and LEO RP gain popularity on the server, I believe falls down to the general simplicity behind picking up a spot in the faction and learning. It's not really until the later ranks when you have to really be on it with exact details of American caselaw, civil rights law and other combining factors which build up LEO RP. But with Medical RP, there isn't a grace period like that. Yeah majority of what PHMC does, at least in the internal medicine category can be achieved with googling what symptoms lead to what conditions, warning signs etc.. whilst following the guides we've written based on procedure. For a newbie to medical RP, someone not confident or otherwise.. well that shit's daunting for the players. It's why in my tenure as PHMC's head I took a very aggressive stance on those I saw guilty of gatekeeping and shutting out those who wanted to try medical RP but weren't great initially at it. PHMC never truly grew to prosper under my leadership, but a solid foundation and a stable foundation was created for the new leaders to take it in a whole new direction which they have been.

I know medical insurance is being discussed for implementation once again which is a good sign of features to come.

Edited by Mecovy
  • Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Former HL2RP player here.

One of the issues characters in HL2RP face is when they get randomly sick.

How do they get sick? It's random.

You can either be next to a sick person, you can 'wake up' and feel sick, and the effect is coughing - it's the common cold.

So when your character gets sick, he'll cough randomly every few minutes, with a /melong - it'll alert others, and over time if the character doesn't get any treat - he'll have a fever, making him unable to stand for too long (forced animation or ragdoll every few), it should be treated easily - so it won't force players to skip a day or two with their characters, but it should be a thing to worry about in-game;

When a character becomes sick, he has to visit a clinic and get some medication; he should take this for some time until he gets better.

Illegal roleplayers will be unable to do illegal stuff properly being sick; imagine the 'Nah homie, I feel bad today; I think I have a fever; let's rob that house tomorrow.'

The legal and the SWAT officers can be sick, too, forcing them to take care of themselves before anything.

And the ultimate cure because nobody likes to have the odds of being sick?  

Vaccine.

Admins should be able to (re)set the illness for a character too.

Pros:

+ More RP for the clinics 

+ Characters will be 'forced' to take care of themselves, less robotic RP

+ Imagine finding someone because you heard a cough??? 

Cons:

- I can see gangs attack each other with sick characters

- It'll require an active clinic if we want to do it player-based.

- the vaccine must be super-expensive.

Fuck... no.... simply the fuck not, this is GTA not Half Life/Garry's Mod respectfully sounds cool; but it's not. This sounds annoying as hell to deal with and adds forced RP onto others that really become a hindrance more than anything for somebody to RP with. THE SCRIPT SHOULDN'T MAKE YOU ROLEPLAY, YOU SHOULD ROLEPLAY. If you're RPing sick, simply just don't do anything that a sick personal wouldn't do.

Edit: I've gone through many many sicknesses in my life (trust me I had covid more times than I'd like to truly admit) and only went to the hospital for a severe case of strep throat and covid twice. Any other times I've just thugged it out and took over the counter opioids to help me through the sickness. You don't need to seek medical help each time you have a common cold. Just get some dayquil/niquil and you're good.

Edited by Smurf

I'd love to see a system that tracks and offers a scripted description of injuries. When you are injured, it would say based on what injured you, the type of injury you would have suffered. This would ensure people RP their injuries appropriately and also work as a guide so players know what exactly they should be RPing as an injured person.

• Upvote 1

DMEC should be a division within PHMC, and the coroners should be PHMC's alts. It's too often to see DMEC inactive with PHMC; it's too sad. Both use a direct manual, and their interest is pretty shared; while one saves lives, the other deals with the deceased. 

We can improve PHMC's and DMEC's activity by migrating these factions together, making DMEC a PHMC division; the primary faction will still be PHMC.

I've roleplayed as one of DMEC's executives for a while, and we struggled to keep it interesting. The RP remained the same - you get to a scene, you deal with a deceased who cannot roleplay with you - it's all passive, you try to roleplay with the LEOs around and they're clueless, it's rare to have something interesting. Therefore, people leave, and the faction faces issues with players.

As far as I know, PHMC's players have little knowledge about medical roleplay like all other players in real life (with all due respect and without saying they don't know, they do know - but let me explain); PHMC, FD, and DMEC have their tutorials and internal training for new faction members, they all use the same methods, they asking questions and followed by the answers they can roleplay accordingly. I believe DMEC personnel will find it interesting to roleplay as nurses and paramedics, all along with responding to coroners' calls once in a while, as it happens, once in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

DMEC should be a division within PHMC, and the coroners should be PHMC's alts. It's too often to see DMEC inactive with PHMC; it's too sad. Both use a direct manual, and their interest is pretty shared; while one saves lives, the other deals with the deceased. 

We can improve PHMC's and DMEC's activity by migrating these factions together, making DMEC a PHMC division; the primary faction will still be PHMC.

I've roleplayed as one of DMEC's executives for a while, and we struggled to keep it interesting. The RP remained the same - you get to a scene, you deal with a deceased who cannot roleplay with you - it's all passive, you try to roleplay with the LEOs around and they're clueless, it's rare to have something interesting. Therefore, people leave, and the faction faces issues with players.

As far as I know, PHMC's players have little knowledge about medical roleplay like all other players in real life (with all due respect and without saying they don't know, they do know - but let me explain); PHMC, FD, and DMEC have their tutorials and internal training for new faction members, they all use the same methods, they asking questions and followed by the answers they can roleplay accordingly. I believe DMEC personnel will find it interesting to roleplay as nurses and paramedics, all along with responding to coroners' calls once in a while, as it happens, once in a while.

oh the amount of times that's been tried its almost hysterical at this point. 

• Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Fuck... no.... simply the fuck not, this is GTA not Half Life/Garry's Mod respectfully sounds cool; but it's not. This sounds annoying as hell to deal with and adds forced RP onto others that really become a hindrance more than anything for somebody to RP with. THE SCRIPT SHOULDN'T MAKE YOU ROLEPLAY, YOU SHOULD ROLEPLAY. If you're RPing sick, simply just don't do anything that a sick personal wouldn't do.

Edit: I've gone through many many sicknesses in my life (trust me I had covid more times than I'd like to truly admit) and only went to the hospital for a severe case of strep throat and covid twice. Any other times I've just thugged it out and took over the counter opioids to help me through the sickness. You don't need to seek medical help each time you have a common cold. Just get some dayquil/niquil and you're good.

My intention is not to force players to be hospitalized; they need to be cured; they just can be sick.

I don't mind if the proper solution will be some tables from 24/7, but the 'real' cure will come from the clinics, and the ultimate will come from PHMC with a vaccine. 

I just do think it'll add to the general roleplay, still - and I'll agree thinking out loud, there's quite a few issues with that.

i think the vaccination idea is great. once u get two vaccines, ur immunity stats can level up from level 1 to level 2. for level 3, maybe we can add an xp meter so it keeps track of ur total vaccinations and if u have enough xp, u'll get rank 3 immunity

afaik as ur idea for the player randomly falling, i think whether u fall or not should depend on how much points u put into dexterity/strength when u made ur character.

one good idea is also to add a sleep meter to account for insomnia and whatnot. if u don't sleep every 8 hours at your designated sleep location (house/rental, etc) then u might get a sleep deprivation effect which gives -25% health debuff

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Applaud 2
On 2/15/2024 at 3:30 AM, Anubis said:

Former HL2RP player here.

One of the issues characters in HL2RP face is when they get randomly sick.

How do they get sick? It's random.

You can either be next to a sick person, you can 'wake up' and feel sick, and the effect is coughing - it's the common cold.

So when your character gets sick, he'll cough randomly every few minutes, with a /melong - it'll alert others, and over time if the character doesn't get any treat - he'll have a fever, making him unable to stand for too long (forced animation or ragdoll every few), it should be treated easily - so it won't force players to skip a day or two with their characters, but it should be a thing to worry about in-game;

When a character becomes sick, he has to visit a clinic and get some medication; he should take this for some time until he gets better.

Illegal roleplayers will be unable to do illegal stuff properly being sick; imagine the 'Nah homie, I feel bad today; I think I have a fever; let's rob that house tomorrow.'

The legal and the SWAT officers can be sick, too, forcing them to take care of themselves before anything.

And the ultimate cure because nobody likes to have the odds of being sick?  

Vaccine.

Admins should be able to (re)set the illness for a character too.

Pros:

+ More RP for the clinics 

+ Characters will be 'forced' to take care of themselves, less robotic RP

+ Imagine finding someone because you heard a cough??? 

Cons:

- I can see gangs attack each other with sick characters

- It'll require an active clinic if we want to do it player-based.

- the vaccine must be super-expensive.

Edited by LxLstrix
  • Upvote 7

Civilians seem fairly comfortable going to resturants and RPing meals out etc, without any 'stat' benefits from food/water.

Moving healing benefits from food/water items to medical items you can buy from pharmacy's, like painkillers and the like, would make pharmacies more of a demand and I don't think you'd take away from resturants by doing such.

• Upvote 4