Taxi Dispatch - Remove the customer name completely, it promotes Metagaming.

4 minutes ago, jromjeksin said:

Well I did say a PayG phone shouldn't do that, I'm pretty sure that's just how the script was designed and likely wasn't intentional. I just call a random taxi number and get a ride if I feel like paying cash and they usually have my name due to caller ID which is the same type of thing 910 is. I personally don't see an issue with the taxi driver having your name to be honest.

The issue is, Dispatch passing the name over to the driver. Even with caller ID, full name mind you.

1 hour ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The issue is, Dispatch passing the name over to the driver. Even with caller ID, full name mind you.

Same thing happens with mechanic call line.

Can you give us an example in how this affected you other than “might mg”? 

It makes things worse the way you propose it. How would a taxi driver reach an inexistant dispatch to get the info if they needed it?

• Developer

The taxi script is being reworked, though this feature will most likely remain the same and make some more sense under Uber-ish style script. Will leave it open so discussions can be held about the latter. Please keep it civilised. At the same time, same could be said about the mechanic hotline, so I would also be interested to know how MG could be incited out of knowing the full name. Please also let me know, does masking yourself also mask the caller name for the taxi script, or not? If so,  wouldn’t that be enough of a measure should the caller want to remain anonymous?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, nickM said:

The taxi script is being reworked, though this feature will most likely remain the same and make some more sense under Uber-ish style script. Will leave it open so discussions can be held about the latter. Please keep it civilised. At the same time, same could be said about the mechanic hotline, so I would also be interested to know how MG could be incited out of knowing the full name. Please also let me know, does masking yourself also mask the caller name for the taxi script, or not? If so,  wouldn’t that be enough of a measure should the caller want to remain anonymous?

The issue I had when trying to call a taxi from a payphone that by default masks you, that Taxi drivers drop the call instantly because you're masked. Mainly because in the past masked people abused the system to try an rob drivers just for the sake of loot. Removing the name from the current script and leaving a phone number would be ideal until the rework you mentioned is finished and implemented. 

Regarding the rework if a person chooses not to share their name on the script, they should have the choice.

12 hours ago, Coravu said:

Same thing happens with mechanic call line.

Can you give us an example in how this affected you other than “might mg”? 

It makes things worse the way you propose it. How would a taxi driver reach an inexistant dispatch to get the info if they needed it?

Dispatch can pass the number to the driver, if driver arrives on scene but no one is there he can call them up. That's the job of dispatch to keep track what address comes with what phone number.

• Developer

I don’t really see how allowing custom names (that could very well be just “Anonymous”) instead of full name would prevent the issue of the taxi driver not picking up the request. Removing the name completely would not be feasible as the driver would have to somehow identify you, instead of asking each individual in the vicinity whether they called a taxi or to pick up a random person that “claims” the taxi. So this would again range from people either using nicknames (and given your example of taxi drivers not taking masked calls, could again be an issue if the taxi driver is biased due to the nickname), or offering the full name, which again would be the same situation we currently got. I don’t feel like removing the name completely is a solution either because of what I already stated.

2 hours ago, nickM said:

I don’t really see how allowing custom names (that could very well be just “Anonymous”) instead of full name would prevent the issue of the taxi driver not picking up the request. Removing the name completely would not be feasible as the driver would have to somehow identify you, instead of asking each individual in the vicinity whether they called a taxi or to pick up a random person that “claims” the taxi. So this would again range from people either using nicknames (and given your example of taxi drivers not taking masked calls, could again be an issue if the taxi driver is biased due to the nickname), or offering the full name, which again would be the same situation we currently got. I don’t feel like removing the name completely is a solution either because of what I already stated.

I would say its easier to just give the persons first name like it does on Uber.

• Upvote 1

Just think of /taxi as uber/lyft/bolt etc. You have to give your real credentials to Uber. When was the last time you actually CALLED and spoke to a human to order a taxi anyway? That's a rarity now.

In a city where the crime rate is on par with Haiti then it's only natural that some kind of ID checks would be mandatory. 

Is it really such a big deal if your friendly neighbour taxi driver pulls up and is like "Hi Vash? Taxi for you sir." 

What's he gonna go with this information? Rat out all of your criminal enterprise. Kindly get a grip sir.

• Upvote 6
  • nickM locked this topic