The Perfect GTA World

CertifiedKiller
Message added by sevo,

A polite reminder to all commenters to keep the common courtesy rule in mind with your replies to this discussion. Discussions such as these are welcome, so long as they do not become toxic and get out of hand. Keep it civil please, thank you.

1 hour ago, west. said:

In what world is chain robbing not happen in real life? One google search and a little bit of common sense easily disapproves that chain-robbing happen quite frequently in real life. Not sure what country you live in, but in the US it's a common occurrence. To say this doesn't happen is pretty dumb take.

One example: https://patch.com/new-jersey/newarknj/man-robbed-several-people-newark-same-day-found-guilty

Second example: https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/08/08/at-least-6-people-robbed-during-apparent-early-morning-crime-spree-police-say/

I stand corrected, I guess what I meant is it wouldn't be good for our server, maybe a robbery limit would be better? Say you could rob 4 people max?

• Upvote 1
On 12/30/2023 at 6:11 AM, CertifiedKiller said:

There's tons of rules which have clamped down on the things members of Illegal factions can and cannot do, as well as in-game rules of which restrict them in their portrayal of said characters. Let's speak briefly on the rule of chain robbing. Though I think we can ALL agree that chain robbing does not happen in real life. You're not going to get a criminal going from person to person to rob them of their valuables, however - you're going to find criminal gangs that specialize in quick smash and grab robberies, of which are VERY prevalent in cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles in California. You'll get groups of people roaming around areas, breaking car windows and taking anything in view, though when someone tried to portray this very thing on GTA World they were met with administrator punishment.  Rules like this and restrictions like not being able to use cars in robberies and you can see why it might be frustrating to be an illegal role-player.  

3 hours ago, west. said:

In what world is chain robbing not happen in real life? One google search and a little bit of common sense easily disapproves that chain-robbing happen quite frequently in real life. Not sure what country you live in, but in the US it's a common occurrence. To say this doesn't happen is pretty dumb take.

One example: https://patch.com/new-jersey/newarknj/man-robbed-several-people-newark-same-day-found-guilty

Second example: https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/08/08/at-least-6-people-robbed-during-apparent-early-morning-crime-spree-police-say/

2 hours ago, CertifiedKiller said:

I stand corrected, I guess what I meant is it wouldn't be good for our server, maybe a robbery limit would be better? Say you could rob 4 people max?

You're going to run into the same issue that's justified those rules since their inception - there'll never be enough people that have the mental capacity to understand the logistics of a community without those rules. 

Let's revisit one of the better (not best, we'll save that for later) examples in GTAW history that perfectly incapsulates our recurring struggle to trust the community with anything more than plastic cups and rubber spoons when it comes to volume of interaction and community health.

RUN_YO_CRATES_CUH.png?ex=659c76b3&is=658a01b3&hm=4edfef03a76b0a7a02c56489f46a5212a4a99b41d8219dc34e6346c5895c2e6c&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=814&height=458

(At the height of the Logistics Breakdown crisis of GTAW, this meme became a popular media piece exchanged in discussions to humorously address and criticize problematic roleplayers responsible for the increasing breakdown in server functions and the rapidly declining roleplayer population.)

If you've seen this picture, you're old! It's a meme that began doing the rounds in the discord when gangs and criminals decided to start hitting the literal logistics chains that the server advertises as a prominent feature. Bear in mind, the trucking features of the server are not optional. If no truckers deliver to a store, that store eventually can. not. sell. anything. This includes food, water, medicine, phones, and various other essentials to roleplay. This means that a large enough disruption can effectively put roleplay across the server to a halt.

Now, with that in mind, the meme above became prominent when it was observed that gangs and criminals began hitting delivery trucks en route to deliver goods. This started causing disruptions in supply, and began to negatively impact roleplay for the whole community. The server population began to dip, and some efforts were made to inform the criminal community politely that they could tone it down a little, or see a new rule. This went on for literal months before the situation became critical enough that raids of in-transit goods was just outright disallowed. Again, every possible chance to avoid a rule was given, but when presented with those offers, the criminal community just doubled-down and continued. There wasn't any discouragement, any resistance, it was THE meta, so almost everyone did it or turned a blind eye to those doing it.

The same thing is a recurring trend with the "we should be allowed to use cars" and "chain robbing should be okay" loops. Not only did we try that for both, but we even had a dedicated server for it. Liberty City was a fresh and brand new server that offered criminals a place where these rules? Didn't exist. You could go to Liberty City and chain rob in cars to your hearts content! ...or so the theory went. In actual practical application, the server had a stable population for a month before criminals themselves began complaining about the rampant robberies. It was so aggressive that people simply didn't want to play on that server. Liberty City never stood a chance.

But what about here? Same thing. These rules were implemented because criminals just wouldn't show any self-control. They overfished the waters until we suddenly had a bad rash of "Why are the streets so empty?" and, I kid you not, completely 100% serious rule suggestions that civilians shouldn't be allowed to roleplay indoors. 

Every time we have this loop of "Why can't we do..." from people that weren't here to experience a server dying from overfishing. These rules exist because as a community, there's a large enough portion of us that are too stupid to just skip the RPG asset grind and focus on what the server is really about - roleplaying.

Case in point - we have someone in the reports section literally arguing that there's no problem with shooting and killing people in front of a police station.

It's not about fun for some, it's about winning at any cost.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 4

There shouldn't be a robbery limit or any daft rules in my opinion. Instead, they should clamp down on the laws IN GAME. Deal with the situation IN GAME. If there's too many robberies going on? Then clamp down by baiting out these gangs and what not, act on it and deal with it ICly. They could raise the time in prison if caught doing these robberies, which may put a person off a petty mugging. Instead of scaring people with OOC punishments, they should be punished harshly ICly if caught, scaring them ICly. If they get killed whilst performing these crimes? Maybe impose a CK on said character depending on the situation at the time, IE, they pull a gun out etc...

Too many OOC toxicity is brought to this server because everything you do has an OOC punishment. People try to spite other people with OOC punishments, factions hardly war it out in game anymore, it's all on the forums etc. I've seen people taking advantage of these petty rules and making it a big thing just to spite one another. Just play the god damn game and have some fun. 

I agree with rules, I agree that we have to keep realism on point and I understand why the rules of today are as they are. But it really does suck the fun out of the game when you are unsure whether you're breaking a rule or not, because they remain unclear still. 

I have always roleplayed an illegal character, and story telling is my go to when it comes to creating a character. I've seen the rules worsen overtime because the minority like to spoil it for the majority and I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me with my opinions, which is fine. But my opinion is different to most people because I can take a loss in game. If someone comes down on me and I've got stuff to take? I'm not going to stall. I'm not going to /report every chance I get. I'm not going to /b to takeaway the fun out of a good scene. I'd be roleplaying that s**t properly, letting them take my stuff, enjoying the scene and then dealing with it ICly afterwards. It's all part of development, all part of the game and all part of the fun. In reality, you LOSE THINGS. Deal with it. Next time, you won't be so stupid to get robbed. Maybe you'll do something differently to avoid getting robbed. Well done, you developed. 

As long as all these crimes are committed with realism, quality roleplay and character development? Why does it matter if they drove to another block to do it? What's the point in /vehplate if you can't even use it for a crime. I'll never understand the limit on areas. Where I live, people come down from other areas to commit crimes, in cars, one after the other, blah blah blah. 

In my opinion, there is a lot of things that could be changed about this game. Rules should always stand when it comes to MG, PG and all your roleplaying rules. But all these subrules which take the fun out of it? That's something that needs dealing with. Maybe we all just need to change how we roleplay instead of running to the forums. 

As for everything else with the server, it's absolutely top tier. The devs, teams, admins, factions. It has come a long way, and it's got plenty further to go. I just don't want to see the server fall due to lack of fun. 

Edited by Streetsoldier
  • Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Streetsoldier said:

As long as all these crimes are committed with realism, quality roleplay and character development? Why does it matter if they drove to another block to do it? What's the point in /vehplate if you can't even use it for a crime. I'll never understand the limit on areas. Where I live, people come down from other areas to commit crimes, in cars, one after the other, blah blah blah. 

This 💯

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

You're going to run into the same issue that's justified those rules since their inception - there'll never be enough people that have the mental capacity to understand the logistics of a community without those rules. 

Let's revisit one of the better (not best, we'll save that for later) examples in GTAW history that perfectly incapsulates our recurring struggle to trust the community with anything more than plastic cups and rubber spoons when it comes to volume of interaction and community health.

RUN_YO_CRATES_CUH.png?ex=659c76b3&is=658a01b3&hm=4edfef03a76b0a7a02c56489f46a5212a4a99b41d8219dc34e6346c5895c2e6c&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=814&height=458

If you've seen this picture, you're old! It's a meme that began doing the rounds in the discord when gangs and criminals decided to start hitting the literal logistics chains that the server advertises as a prominent feature. Bear in mind, the trucking features of the server are not optional. If no truckers deliver to a store, that store eventually can. not. sell. anything. This includes food, water, medicine, phones, and various other essentials to roleplay. This means that a large enough disruption can effectively put roleplay across the server to a halt.

Now, with that in mind, the meme above became prominent when it was observed that gangs and criminals began hitting delivery trucks en route to deliver goods. This started causing disruptions in supply, and began to negatively impact roleplay for the whole community. The server population began to dip, and some efforts were made to inform the criminal community politely that they could tone it down a little, or see a new rule. This went on for literal months before the situation became critical enough that raids of in-transit goods was just outright disallowed. Again, every possible chance to avoid a rule was given, but when presented with those offers, the criminal community just doubled-down and continued. There wasn't any discouragement, any resistance, it was THE meta, so almost everyone did it or turned a blind eye to those doing it.

The same thing is a recurring trend with the "we should be allowed to use cars" and "chain robbing should be okay" loops. Not only did we try that for both, but we even had a dedicated server for it. Liberty City was a fresh and brand new server that offered criminals a place where these rules? Didn't exist. You could go to Liberty City and chain rob in cars to your hearts content! ...or so the theory went. In actual practical application, the server had a stable population for a month before criminals themselves began complaining about the rampant robberies. It was so aggressive that people simply didn't want to play on that server. Liberty City never stood a chance.

But what about here? Same thing. These rules were implemented because criminals just wouldn't show any self-control. They overfished the waters until we suddenly had a bad rash of "Why are the streets so empty?" and, I kid you not, completely 100% serious rule suggestions that civilians shouldn't be allowed to roleplay indoors. 

Every time we have this loop of "Why can't we do..." from people that weren't here to experience a server dying from overfishing. These rules exist because as a community, there's a large enough portion of us that are too stupid to just skip the RPG asset grind and focus on what the server is really about - roleplaying.

Case in point - we have someone in the reports section literally arguing that there's no problem with shooting and killing people in front of a police station.

It's not about fun for some, it's about winning at any cost.

don't start dude, this isn't a legal vs illegal thread, give it a rest for once.

20 minutes ago, Streetsoldier said:

There shouldn't be a robbery limit or any daft rules in my opinion. Instead, they should clamp down on the laws IN GAME. Deal with the situation IN GAME.

Just like those super lovely helicopter patrol rules. Can't have one helicopter airborn for too long, no sir, not in a setting known for having at least three in the air around the clock.

I agree that there shouldn't be rules, but this is something that needs to be embraced by the whole of the community. I'd love nothing more than for the thrill of a GTA night city approach, where anyone can engage in criminal activity whenever... instead of this current shitty ruleset that doesn't make it fun for anyone.

23 minutes ago, Streetsoldier said:

People try to spite other people with OOC punishments, factions hardly war it out in game anymore, it's all on the forums etc. I've seen people taking advantage of these petty rules and making it a big thing just to spite one another. Just play the god damn game and have some fun. 

Exactly my point.

3 minutes ago, Xantholic said:

don't start dude, this isn't a legal vs illegal thread, give it a rest for once.

Never said anything about which is better, just pointed out why we have the rules. If someone asks, I'll provide the answer.

Just now, Rhelli said:

Wait, so SAHP would make GTA:W perfect? I'm confused about the goal of this topic. The last 9 pages are all an argument for and against SAHP.

I don't believe it would. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Never said anything about which is better, just pointed out why we have the rules. If someone asks, I'll provide the answer.

im sure u can do that without posting pictures mocking illegal rpers lol.

3 minutes ago, Xantholic said:

im sure u can do that without posting pictures mocking illegal rpers lol.

The picture fits with the context of the message, seeing as the picture is from a meme that became popular during the community crisis at the time. I didn't post it to mock, but to give people insight to the growing awareness of the issue at the time and how little that awareness deterred community-killing behaviors until the introduction of new rules became necessary. 

If you'd prefer to hide from the past, you could always just... not look? 

Tell you what, I'll add a tiny little context note below the picture, for you. 

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1