Media RP Improvements - LEO Radio / 911 dispatch

14 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

+1 for 911 calls -1 for dispatch

Could you elaborate further on why you feel dispatch shouldn't be available?

Based on my understanding of law enforcement both 911 and dispatch would come from the same source. I welcome someone to prove my understanding wrong just as Joshua did with making me realise how valuable the in-game dispatch is.

911 information would be transmitted via a dispatcher to all units
Units would then respond to the dispatcher to let them know who is responding.

I can't see why one should be accepted and the other denied considering both avenues of information come from a single source.

Edited by Peat
2 minutes ago, Peat said:

Could you elaborate further on why you feel dispatch shouldn't be available?

Based on my understanding of law enforcement both 911 and dispatch would come from the same source. I welcome someone to prove my understanding wrong just as Joshua did with making me realise how valuable the in-game dispatch is.

911 information would be transmitted via a dispatcher to all units
Units would then respond to the dispatcher to let them know who is responding.

I can't see why one should be accepted and the other denied considering both avenues of information come from a single source.

Because I can see a lot of this being abused despite being locked behind a wall of a rank. It'll be a question of time before there are corrupt media personnel leaking it to criminals and Los Santos turns into a bigger heist where the criminals listen in over the radio to what you're doing.

At the same time, it'll be a nightmare for specialized units that realistically use a different dispatcher such as covert detectives. And it's just adding a whole lot more hassle for factions because someone wants to listen in.

And honestly? You'll be dead bored with 911 calls, as they're either help he's here, or there's a dead body, I think it's dead.

Instead? I genuinely suggest going for some ride-alongs, befriending deputies and officers, and building relationships that way it'll fetch you far more than watching our radios will.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but most if not all LEO factions have a media division with at least one person that's able to be contacted, perhaps they could contact them for information on what's going on? I've been on a few scenes where media has been present and I've spoken with them or people from SanFire have?

13 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

Because I can see a lot of this being abused despite being locked behind a wall of a rank. It'll be a question of time before there are corrupt media personnel leaking it to criminals and Los Santos turns into a bigger heist where the criminals listen in over the radio to what you're doing.

At the same time, it'll be a nightmare for specialized units that realistically use a different dispatcher such as covert detectives. And it's just adding a whole lot more hassle for factions because someone wants to listen in.

And honestly? You'll be dead bored with 911 calls, as they're either help he's here, or there's a dead body, I think it's dead.

Instead? I genuinely suggest going for some ride-alongs, befriending deputies and officers, and building relationships that way it'll fetch you far more than watching our radios will.

I can see the cause for concern, but that same theory can be applied to anything. Guns in legal factions can be abused, ability to arrest and detain other players can be abused.

We as a community entrust certain faction leadership to manage these risks alongside their administrative counter parts (LFM and IFM). As such I argue the point, why can't Media factions receive that same level of trust after countless work to get to this point?

We in LS Insider already have rules against burning our sources. This would fall under such rules meaning anyone doing such RP would get kicked from our faction when found out and lose the ability to see police radios basically rendering them useless to any criminal that wanted to get information from them.

Furthermore, rather than being sceptical why not be supportive, we can suggest an OOC corruption rule just as other factions utilise to ensure people don't get too crazy with the features our server provides. 

0bwDi0t.png

Edited by Peat
14 minutes ago, Survivalmaster said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but most if not all LEO factions have a media division with at least one person that's able to be contacted, perhaps they could contact them for information on what's going on? I've been on a few scenes where media has been present and I've spoken with them or people from SanFire have?

This already exists. We share a radio with public information officers from all departments. Sadly it is barely active, I've seen around 3 transmissions on there in the past few months.

Edited by Peat
33 minutes ago, Survivalmaster said:

There is a Media frequency which is overseen by LFM, it includes LSFD, LSSD and San Fire (And any other factions can request they're added). But, it relies on people who are assigned to San Fire PR (So me), LSFD's CLO or LSSD's SIB or whoever can talk to media to be online.

3 hours ago, Mahiko said:

My character has tried your approach these past few months. Of the 29 posts that my character has done, less than 5 of them is because of shared information from a source within SD. I assume it's because no one dares to share info about ongoing calls.

As has been previously mentioned, everyone refers media to the PIOs, who are very often not available, and even so, asking them for information is kind of too late. Everything has already happened and you have no footage. So it kind of works for newspaper journalists, that write articles for the following day, no pictures or video needed, but it doesn't work for stringers and the like.

Then also, on your point of the possibility of it being abused: what is stopping police officers from sharing information to criminals, just as you suggest media leaking information to criminals (which would be a death sentence for the media company, might I add)?

Edited by BaBulie
1 hour ago, BaBulie said:

Then also, on your point of the possibility of it being abused: what is stopping police officers from sharing information to criminals, just as you suggest media leaking information to criminals (which would be a death sentence for the media company, might I add)?

corruption rules mandated by lfm. if u leak shit without getting permission from fac leadership u get absolutely obliterated & instantly removed + probably banned

tbh I don't really think there'd be much to leak if the only things revealed are the main frequency of LEO facs. you could even remove ooc names from the radio so that there's no potential for metagame. the main dispatch frequency should not have any sensitive info in it for both SD and PD. if there is? then that fac member is misusing the frequency. you save that shit for in person, on the phone, or on a side local frequency.

edit: on reconsideration, i dont agree w revealing 911 calls. callers may say things that the dispatcher wouldn't divulge on a main frequency where there's the potential for it to be monitored by the public. the main frequencies i still think are OK

Edited by joshua
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Reece? locked this topic