UCP Vehicle management insurance

Detailed Description:

We have plenty of features on UCP, but insurance still eludes us. Hopping into the car IG and dialing MORS insurance company in digital age...

Kind of makes no sense does it? Maybe it could be added as Fleeca bank extension? To review your cars and manage insurance.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Skydeluire said:

It'd be cool to be able to pay your insurance through the UCP, not sure if this would take a lot of the interaction IG though. Not everything should be handled outside of the game.

I mean the only interaction in game that we have at the moment is calling the number, giving a number of days and saying yes. It might be one of those QOL that you could do before hopping on, most people check their car insurance online anyway to find the best price and buy it there and then without calling up.

+1 from me!

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, Jolagh said:

-1 It should only be handled in game in my opinion.

While I am often an advocate for things being handled in game, I am not convinced I agree with you on this particular instance. When you /c 207 and state a number of days for your car to be insured, who is actually benefiting from that interaction? It isn't the player, and it certainly isn't anybody else in the immediate vicinity.

The call system is troublesome on a number of levels:

• It's a script, meaning you interact with nobody
  • It's full of metagaming, whereby the NPC call handler knows exactly who you are and what car you're driving
  • It's unrealistically hassle-free; normally insurance companies want to know everything about you and your history. This is two lines;
  • It allows for powergaming; whereby a cop can pull you over for no insurance and you have a full 365 day policy in place before you even apply the handbrake.

If anything, the call system that's in place is a detriment to roleplay, and not a benefit. I get why you've went against it, but I think that if we want to encourage things to be in-game, they have to be a lot more meaningful than t/c 207{ent}365{ent}yes{ent}.

• Upvote 1
On 9/13/2023 at 1:47 AM, Paddy said:

While I am often an advocate for things being handled in game, I am not convinced I agree with you on this particular instance. When you /c 207 and state a number of days for your car to be insured, who is actually benefiting from that interaction? It isn't the player, and it certainly isn't anybody else in the immediate vicinity.

The call system is troublesome on a number of levels:

• It's a script, meaning you interact with nobody
  • It's full of metagaming, whereby the NPC call handler knows exactly who you are and what car you're driving
  • It's unrealistically hassle-free; normally insurance companies want to know everything about you and your history. This is two lines;
  • It allows for powergaming; whereby a cop can pull you over for no insurance and you have a full 365 day policy in place before you even apply the handbrake.

If anything, the call system that's in place is a detriment to roleplay, and not a benefit. I get why you've went against it, but I think that if we want to encourage things to be in-game, they have to be a lot more meaningful than t/c 207{ent}365{ent}yes{ent}.

So my challenge to you would be how does putting it via UCP change anything that you have highlighted?

• Lots of things ingame utilise scripts which don't have any interaction
  • NPC is a NPC so not sure how it would be metagaming.  Often when you call an insurance company, they already have your details up simply from the phone number, the only reason they confirm your details is because of data protection.

• I agree with you on the point about being hassle free, but I suppose what would be the point of entering a load of details via the phone, aside from being cumbersome and how would switching it to UCP change that?
  • The powergaming point I agree with, but often cops will just tell you to register it there and then, otherwise, my understanding is that the car will be impounded and yourself fined or whatever.
  • Upvote 1
On 9/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, Jolagh said:

So my challenge to you would be how does putting it via UCP change anything that you have highlighted?

• Lots of things ingame utilise scripts which don't have any interaction
  • NPC is a NPC so not sure how it would be metagaming.  Often when you call an insurance company, they already have your details up simply from the phone number, the only reason they confirm your details is because of data protection.

• I agree with you on the point about being hassle free, but I suppose what would be the point of entering a load of details via the phone, aside from being cumbersome and how would switching it to UCP change that?
  • The powergaming point I agree with, but often cops will just tell you to register it there and then, otherwise, my understanding is that the car will be impounded and yourself fined or whatever.

You're right in the sense that NPC is NPC, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have MG nested into it's fabric. Sure; an insurance call centre may have my name, phone number and address. They sure as shit don't know what car I happen to be sitting in when I call them, yet that's how the system works. At least if it's on the UCP, it's like setting up insurance on a website, and you pick the car.

The key difference in the hassle freeness of it is that if you move it to the UCP, it might still be hassle-free, but it doesn't impose itself on others around you. People aren't then forced to acknowledge "Hey! That guy just insured his Ubermacht Sedan in nor point four seconds in a telephone call where he didn't provide them a single ounce of detail other than how long he wanted to insure it! Curazy!"

• Applaud 1