How to create Rag to riches character development

Woozyarth

So, recently these days people like to start a Rag to Riches game play video, but now I want to make Rag to Riches screenshot thread. I need to know how I can start developing a Rag to Riches character and develop them until they become rich. Maybe there are specific steps from BGS (Background story of the character) but there is a step by step development approach. So, if someone made this kind of development once or they have some tips or tricks to develop a Rag to Riches characters I will really appreciate if I get some tips.

18 minutes ago, Cartoonhead said:

What hipsxn said, but don't rush stuff just because you feel like it and use the starter money. Be realistic and have fun with it.

So, what if I don't want to start as homeless? I already have a character that is refugee to USA and I need to know how to develop him from Rag to riches? Or Rag is for mostly who starting from Zero? Also, the big problem here for me is that I don't know how to give a time frame for the character to go to the next step in the development. Say that I started as a homeless person and I stayed Roleplaying as a homeless person for quite some time. Now how do I know it is time to move to the next step in the development? The problem here is the time frame for the next step. Also, is there any Homeless RP guide on forums I can read to learn how the homeless RP goes?

Edited by Woozyarth
19 minutes ago, Woozyarth said:

So, what if I don't want to start as homeless? I already have a character that is refugee to USA and I need to know how to develop him from Rag to riches? Or Rag is for mostly who starting from Zero? Also, the big problem here for me is that I don't know how to give a time frame for the character to go to the next step in the development. Say that I started as a homeless person and I stayed Roleplaying as a homeless person for quite some time. Now how do I know it is time to move to the next step in the development? The problem here is the time frame for the next step. Also, is there any Homeless RP guide on forums I can read to learn how the homeless RP goes?

That time frame is up to you and the IC events that unfold. A homeless man being offered a decent job by a kind person is naturally going to progress faster than a homeless man that can't find employment and maybe has a drug addiction that makes working difficult, for example. I wouldn't see it as steps and more so just gradual progression that will happen naturally as you RP and meet others and have either progressing or hindering interactions. 

A person's life irl isn't defined by a staircase like progression, it's more of a wavy line up and  down. If you want a truly authentic character and a realistic rags to riches progression defined by RP rather than script gain then allow that wave to happen rather than implementing rigid steps with rigid time frames.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 3

Start at whatever starting point you want. A teenager who lives with their parents. Maybe they get in trouble with the law? Maybe they don't. They could be fighting addiction. Your intent shouldn't be for sole monetary gain but more so character development and creating a character that is enjoyable and fleshed out.

You could RP being bad with your money, as a lot of young adults are. Then proceed to learn and overcome it. Build a character that you will enjoy roleplaying. I find having flaws makes a character more detailed and will make the experience more unique to you. 

• Upvote 1

Well, you need to take small steps.

Try finding a part-time job and hustling your ass off until you're able to ICly get a lease business (small thing like a plant shop or coffee shop) and work your way up from there. Find the right connections, or take out a loan with an investment company offering your business or assets as collateral, if you're feeling confident.

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me and I'll answer them, I've done this kind of progression before

• Upvote 1

Answer ads.

- Move in with someone seeking a roommate or rent a cheap place. The pressure of rent will add sense of goal and need for work.

- Join a player-owned trucking, taxi company, or become the lower tier staff at a player-owned business.

- Pick up side jobs that suits you like bartending, bouncer work, chef.

- Hang out at local bars and venues getting to know and befriend people while spending your meager money on beer. 

- Go to a low end gym and buy a membership for same reasons.

- Get a car that suits your low-income image.

- Set yourself restrictions on what you can't do, and can't afford even if your bank account says otherwise.

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 2

There's a good amount of homeless roleplayers at the moment so you could start off and roleplay around them. Your character could go around to in game businesses in hopes of getting a job, or he can try and think of how he could make money himself. After landing on his feet he could try get something to live in, progress to maybe opening a business of his own or finding the right connections and joining up with somebody else and venture off that way. There's so much you can do when starting from nothing. Let it flow and see how it goes. Have fun!

• Upvote 1