Enforcement of RULE 17 - Advertisement spam

Kappaurel

13 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

If I understand correctly, you suggest that if there are no or very few active ads being posted, it may be inappropriate to post your own ad even after the cooldown period has lapsed. However, if there is a substantial presence of other ads, it might be deemed acceptable to post yours after the designated 5-minute interval to ensure its visibility to others. This solution seems reasonable in theory, provided we can establish a clear demarcation between what constitutes an objectively excessive number of ads and what does not. Unfortunately, it's a line that is difficult to draw definitively. 

I'd argue that due to the continuous influx of players logging in and out every minute, it may be necessary to repeatedly post ads if someone wishes to consistently attract players to their business. While I cannot provide precise statistics, I wouldn't be surprised if approximately 50 players joined the server every 5 minutes, particularly during peak hours. Drawing from my personal experience as a former player running a business, it was quite common to open it with around 300 players online, only to witness a significant surge to around 600 or more within a span of two hours when I closed, thereby doubling the initial count, and unless these players that just logged in check the business map (which often doesn't work due to blip bugs), ads become the sole means by which they can ascertain whether a business is open, which is why it becomes very important to persistently disseminate ads in order to maintain visibility and attract players.

I ran a business myself, and despite being Platinum, at the Koreatown club I ran I posted in-game ads every 30 minutes, or 4 ads every average open (on top of Facebrowser ads), mostly to refresh the blip. Rest assured that people found their way to the business if they wanted to and that the club was quite popular at the time. Regardless, spamming an ad on cooldown to try and have every small uptick in population see your message is most definitely spamming for everyone who didn't just log in (as much as donator benefits allow for it).

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Shaderz said:

If I understand correctly, you suggest that if there are no or very few active ads being posted, it may be inappropriate to post your own ad even after the cooldown period has lapsed. However, if there is a substantial presence of other ads, it might be deemed acceptable to post yours after the designated 5-minute interval to ensure its visibility to others. This solution seems reasonable in theory, provided we can establish a clear demarcation between what constitutes an objectively excessive number of ads and what does not. Unfortunately, it's a line that is difficult to draw definitively. 

I'd argue that due to the continuous influx of players logging in and out every minute, it may be necessary to repeatedly post ads if someone wishes to consistently attract players to their business. While I cannot provide precise statistics, I wouldn't be surprised if approximately 50 players joined the server every 5 minutes, particularly during peak hours. Drawing from my personal experience as a former player running a business, it was quite common to open it with around 300 players online, only to witness a significant surge to around 600 or more within a span of two hours when I closed, thereby doubling the initial count, and unless these players that just logged in check the business map (which often doesn't work due to blip bugs), ads become the sole means by which they can ascertain whether a business is open, which is why it becomes very important to persistently disseminate ads in order to maintain visibility and attract players.

I've never had an issue attracting people to my open business by running an advert every thirty minutes, and it's not like I'm running a bar or a night club. You can check the map or you can also look at the open business tabs. I only see spam adverts on weekends really, during my playtime as an American, we're lucky to have one or two businesses open during our night time. 

6 hours ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

I've never had an issue attracting people to my open business by running an advert every thirty minutes, and it's not like I'm running a bar or a night club. You can check the map or you can also look at the open business tabs. I only see spam adverts on weekends really, during my playtime as an American, we're lucky to have one or two businesses open during our night time. 

It's not that you're unable or have an issue attracting people to your business if you only post ads every 30 minutes. Rather, it resides in the recognition that a higher frequency of ad postings, such as every 5 minutes like I mentioned, undeniably garners a greater number of people to your business, and let's be candid for a moment here, as a business owner, the desire to attract a larger influx of people naturally prevails.

7 minutes ago, sio said:

Who cares. Even looking at the advertisements is optional.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, Raindance said:

I mean you can choose whether or not you want ads to pop up in your chatbox, so personally I don't think it's a big deal. Its a donator feature, so it seems fair to me people take advantage of that.

As I said, it drowns other businesses heavily in those ads. Shoves them down the /ads window.

While they can only put up two /ad's an hour, there is people shoving 12 ads an hour, every 5 minutes.

It's just plainly wrong.

• 6 months later...