Politics, Elections and Voting.

HaveADream

Just now, deanbell said:

Government exists, feel free to reach out here: https://gov-forum.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=181 if you want to get involved. The people currently in charge are very capable and open to bringing in new people, alternatively; you can find government services on this website: https://gov.gta.world/ .

Again, I'm aware of the fact that the government exists. I just think the current government is much more of a civil service than a government. Hence this post and the introduction of elections.

The government is good as it is, don't get me wrong, but I feel it still leaves a lot to be desired. I argue often with people who don't believe the government is active, because they don't see a government, they see what is more of a civil service.

The government does fine at what they do, but in terms of policy, it's unreactive. The site is great and I absolutely love the work you've all put into it. But there's absolutely nothing regarding policy. In reality, politicians discuss ongoing situations, controversies, talk with the public, hold events and debate on, and change laws and so on. This would be the role of an elected government, while the current government does the unelected bureaucratic stuff they're happy to do by staying underground.

I get the concerns, but this could lead to so much good, and if it doesn't what harm does it really do?

Edited by HaveADream

Question before I even attempt to answer a thing. What is your vision of a good government on a server such as this? What are it's roles, duties, and responsibilities that would make it worthwhile to even consider such an overhaul of it's election systems? Simply put, what makes you believe that a majority of people even on a server of this size is going to care much about politics in most regards? 

43 minutes ago, Brett said:

Simply put, what makes you believe that a majority of people even on a server of this size is going to care much about politics in most regards? 

I don't think many people care about the government now so that's not a valid question.

46 minutes ago, Brett said:

What is your vision of a good government on a server such as this? What are it's roles, duties, and responsibilities that would make it worthwhile to even consider such an overhaul of it's election systems? 

Read what the OP put in the benefits section.

9 minutes ago, Critchalee said:

I don't think many people care about the government now so that's not a valid question.

Read what the OP put in the benefits section.

How can you say something isn't a valid question, yet answer the question you don't think is valid to be answered? Doesn't seem very logical. And I see the OP benefits section, but that doesn't answer my question. My question isn't the benefits the system he's advocating for will provide, but rather what he thinks government as a whole should look like and why there would be enough interest to even attempt something of this size of an overhaul. That's why I'm asking my questions. And would like the OP to answer them. 

14 hours ago, HaveADream said:

None of this currently exists. I think (at least most of) the current government was appointed.

I do not think that it will ever change. From my past experiences on other communities Governmental Roleplay always was stale, I've seen Elections done, people voted, upon election the Mayor / State Governor went in-active af and honestly nothing happened beyond that except arguments between City hall & PD about who should do what etc. Trying to get City Hall respond on their own forums was a bust most of the times (99% of the time), so with all due respect Mayoral roleplay is pointless. Especially when shit takes weeks to accomplish.

I also should note that a friend of mine was trying to throw an IC event, wanted to get FD / PD involved to make the thing secure, neither of them replied to his written email(forums). He did contact one FD person who said "I can not promise a unit at the event at this short of a notice, you need to do it in writing", it just shows how much the faction leadership takes note of their own forums. Or shall I remind the fact that in October of 2018 I had to directly contact Field Licensing Department (PD) leader in order to get them moved to make a Renewal form for Purchase Firearm / Concealed Carry Weapon / Guard Card which did not exist until then. Also that if your character gets married IC, you can not Name-change her last-name ICly properly nor there is a form to transfer said licenses to that name as well.

If these smaller departments lack the organization of things and being responsive, you think the Government is important and if elected it will be active? Also the fact that at peak hours we have more Police officers on duty than Paramedics / Firefighters, even at off peak hours is the same. I understand this is a game, but certain player chose to join those Factions, reached a certain rank, they should be prepared to deal with Paperwork. Until issues I've mentioned earlier are resolved(I am sure there are more issues beyond what I have mentioned), I don't think Election for Government / Mayor should not be even a thing.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

Elections would work excellently with the new note, poster, and live news system we have now as well! I'll support, because right now I feel like the only way to change government currently is to sue it.. Which is a valid way to effect change but it shouldn't be the only way.

3 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

I do not think that it will ever change. From my past experiences on other communities Governmental Roleplay always was stale, I've seen Elections done, people voted, upon election the Mayor / State Governor went in-active af and honestly nothing happened beyond that except arguments between City hall & PD about who should do what etc. Trying to get City Hall respond on their own forums was a bust most of the times (99% of the time), so with all due respect Mayoral roleplay is pointless. Especially when shit takes weeks to accomplish.

I also should note that a friend of mine was trying to throw an IC event, wanted to get FD / PD involved to make the thing secure, neither of them replied to his written email(forums). He did contact one FD person who said "I can not promise a unit at the event at this short of a notice, you need to do it in writing", it just shows how much the faction leadership takes note of their own forums. Or shall I remind the fact that in October of 2018 I had to directly contact Field Licensing Department (PD) leader in order to get them moved to make a Renewal form for Purchase Firearm / Concealed Carry Weapon / Guard Card which did not exist until then. Also that if your character gets married IC, you can not Name-change her last-name ICly properly nor there is a form to transfer said licenses to that name as well.

If these smaller departments lack the organization of things and being responsive, you think the Government is important and if elected it will be active? Also the fact that at peak hours we have more Police officers on duty than Paramedics / Firefighters, even at off peak hours is the same. I understand this is a game, but certain player chose to join those Factions, reached a certain rank, they should be prepared to deal with Paperwork. Until issues I've mentioned earlier are resolved(I am sure there are more issues beyond what I have mentioned), I don't think Election for Government / Mayor should not be even a thing.

Well if nothing else at least the monthly activity of key leadership roles in gov shouldn't be 0.00 with this system. My experience is that it mattered as long as players had it as a position that genuinely mattered. People care about positions that have a real impact on what they do. That's the case for legislative and executive positions. 

Just now, Momo's Revenge said:

Well if nothing else at least the monthly activity of key leadership roles in gov shouldn't be 0.00 with this system. My experience is that it mattered as long as players had it as a position that genuinely mattered. People care about positions that have a real impact on what they do. That's the case for legislative and executive positions. 

Honest opinion? If a person goes in-active without a notice of doing so beforehand will get kicked out of his position. This should incentive people to at the very least let others know they will be away due to X Y or Z reason. Also if too many Leave of Absence are taken the person takes it also allows the Management to kick him off his position.

I support what Kalani mentioned about the 'dynamic' roleplay is. Even though it's active through website or others, but mainly new people like me didn't know much about it.

So yeah +1 and I really like how the idea works altogether!

Edited by Ssiregar90
typo
  • Syrike locked this topic