Los Santos Insider | The Politics of Pride Month: Republicans Lambasted by LGBTQ Allies for Blocking Pride Resolution

QsJRUle.png

image.thumb.png.1590d7c17dda56298b70da3b34ea2437.png

The Politics of Pride Month

Republicans Lambasted by LGBTQ Allies for Blocking Pride Resolution

Written by David Buckley - June 13, 2023

image.png

The politics of Pride Month have stirred up the San Andreas political scene this month. The controversy began when Lieutenant Governor Noah Wade and the state government made no mention of Pride Month as they promoted “The Glorious Month of June: Uniting to Honor Our Heroes and the Pillars of Law & Order.” Critics suggest the campaign, which was unanimously recognized by the State Senate via resolution, was intended to take away attention from Pride Month – a celebration important to LGBTQ+ individuals in San Andreas.

The San Andreas Democratic Party took a clear stance on the issue, issuing a statement to the Los Santos Insider that reads in part:

“While we acknowledge the importance of honoring law enforcement officers and first responders with the Glorious Month of June, we refuse to forget the millions of individuals in our state who have been unjustly silenced. As the Democratic Party of San Andreas, we do not stand with Lieutenant Governor Wade's decision to ignore Pride Month. We join the millions of people engaging in discourse to raise awareness, express their support, and ultimately ensure that the LGBTQ+ community enjoys the same civil rights and privileges as everyone else.”

Meanwhile, Senator Diana Jones (D) introduced a Senate resolution to embrace and commemorate Pride Month, which was promptly blocked from a full Senate vote by President Pro Tempore Adrian Rossi (R). Rossi did not provide a reason for blocking the resolution other than noting that his power to block the resolution was something “I don’t exercise often.”

In a brief comment to the Los Santos Insider, Rossi claimed that “with [Diana Jones and I] being such prominent representatives of our respective parties, there is a discussion I plan on having with [Jones] before it is heard – for matters I find important and beneficial to the state.”

Jones shot back, claiming that “I have spoken to Rossi since my proposal, but he has not stated any reasoning behind his objection to me or, to my knowledge, my staff. I don't know the reasoning behind Adrian Rossi's objection, but I will continue to work with prominent figures in the community with the aim of forwarding LGBT interests, even without the support of the Senate. Adrian Rossi is the chairman of the committee that he sent Resolution 39 to, so he has everything he needs to block the resolution from going further. I will aim to host a hearing as ranking member of the committee, but that relies on Adrian Rossi's authorization.”

Rossi's move is controversial, as the Senate Standing Rules stipulate that the President Pro Tempore must act with impartiality. Critics charge that Rossi's decision is hypocritical since he used the same motion to advance the “Glorious Month of June” resolution a week before without any objections. Meanwhile, law enforcement organizations like the Los Santos Police Department have publicly embraced Pride Month.

"I think it's surprising that Senator Rossi blocked the resolution. The LGBT community deserves recognition," said Senator Isabel Garcia (D), a cosponsor of the "Glorious Month of June" resolution passed shortly before the Pride resolution was introduced by Jones. "One group does not exclude the other. Both can be recognized."

Rossi’s decision and the overall lack of recognition for Pride Month have sparked an outcry from the LGBTQ community in the state. Activists and advocates are pointing out that ignoring the contributions of the LGBTQ community is an intentional snub as cities, states, and countries around the world celebrate. Interestingly, Rossi has traditionally been perceived as a moderate on LGBTQ issues, with him hiring a transgender woman as a Senate staffer. Without reasons for blocking the resolution known to the public and Senate colleagues, it's uncertain what Rossi's true motives are. Nevertheless, they are perceived by LGBTQ activists as hostile to the community.

“A resolution to officially declare June as Pride Month in Los Santos was blocked by Senator Rossi,” said the Los Santos LGBT Center in a statement on Facebrowser. “Don't let this stop you from celebrating Pride Month! June is a time to celebrate who you are and bring the adversity and obstacles the LGBTQ+ community faces into focus. Politics cannot get in the way of that!”

The political maneuvering of San Andreas Republicans over the past two years appears to demonstrate a shift rightward from social libertarianism. After all, just a few years ago, leading San Andreas Republicans described themselves as “fiscally conservative and socially compassionate.” The party that had once campaigned and won elections on civil liberty issues (such as the legalization of recreational marijuana use) and passed hate crimes legislation for sexual minorities has now had its leading members introduce legislation to drastically restrict abortion access and fall silent on LGBTQ issues.

"I think whenever the Republicans stop clinging onto their term limits and hold an election, it won't be a landslide like last time with their new policies. I'd imagine a lot more independent campaigns or Democrats," said LGBTQ activist and Director of Pillbox Hill Medical Center Danielle Bordeaux.

According to activists, grassroots actions in response to the Pride Month snub are expected. According to Senator Jones, Faith Labelle's DIVERSIFY is hosting a Pride celebration on June 18th to make their support for the LGBTQ community heard.

The outcome of Senator Rossi's controversial move to block Resolution 39 and the issue surrounding Pride Month in San Andreas have yet to be seen. While the future of San Andreas politics may prove uncertain, the unity of the LGBTQ community in the face of controversy is something that is sure to remain a constant.

Lieutenant Governor Noah Wade declined to provide comments to the media on the Pride Month controversy.

fhUa09m.pngSr8gyx5.png

EOtivmh.png

Edited by The American Dream
  • Upvote 10
  • The American Dream changed the title to Los Santos Insider | The Politics of Pride Month: Republicans Lambasted by LGBTQ Allies for Blocking Pride Resolution