Los Santos Insider | Ocean Lifeguard Wrongfully Terminated After Following Orders, Says Husband

Degu

QsJRUle.png

image.thumb.png.1590d7c17dda56298b70da3b34ea2437.png

Ocean Lifeguard Wrongfully Terminated After Following Orders, Says Husband

Written by Gabriel Stone - 12th May 2023

((Above is an audio of the article itself. Names may be mispronounced by the AI))

According to Mr. Cardona, based on his wife's accounts, Daisy had been attending the scene of an injured person. A senior paramedic, Sommer Merline Waldau, was on scene alongside Mrs Cardona and acting as the incident commander, placing her in full supervision of the incident. Due to the patient's injuries they required Advanced Life Support (ALS) treatment. However Daisy was only Basic Life Support (BLS) certified and made her superior aware of this.

According to Mr. Cardona, it was at this point Ms. Waldau specifically ordered his wife to conduct ALS regardless. Allegedly the patient did not have time to spare, so Mrs Cardona proceeded to do as she was told, using her decade of experience to successfully perform the task she was not certified to carry out under the orders of a superior. Mr. Cardona stated that the patient survived as a result of her efforts and was transported to hospital where they are "healthy, well and alive"

His accounts of what happened next are surprising. According to Daisy's husband, her superior Ms. Waldau then went directly to LSFD internal affairs and reported her for the breach of department policy she herself had ordered her to carry out. 

Mrs Cardona was then called for an interview with internal affairs which led to the "immediate" confiscation of her badge and uniform with "No investigation to her side of the story whatsoever". Mr. Cardona "...contacted the LSFD internal affairs and legal board several times. To appeal Daisy's termination, and a complaint on Waldau for shamelessly setting her up for a policy breach and then reporting her." He states that the "crazy part" was yet to come, however. According to him, internal affairs replied stating there had been no misconduct and so the complaint would not be investigated. 

They moved on to contacting the legal board to appeal the termination, at which point Mr. Cardona forwarded himself as his wife's representative as he himself is a former board member of the LSPPL and has the experience needed to support his wife. They were then allegedly informed that they do not accept third-party representatives. Mr. Cardona then requested legal representation for Daisy but was again denied, an act he says is the LSFD "...denying her the right to an attorney"

He expanded upon this point using his own experience, stating that "The right to an attorney, even in administrative investigations, is a common right in all government agencies, including the LSPD. I suppose the LSFD handle their business differently and unprofessionally, however. We're therefore left with no other choice to take this matter to court through all legal channels. Unfortunately, this is having a big impact on my wife emotionally and mentally as she has been serving the LSFD and our community for many, many years."

Mr. Cardona describes his wife as a woman who "loved her job and her workplace" and stated that this had been "very hard for her" the couple are determined to get Daisy her job back. He claims his wife was put in an incredibly difficult situation due to the actions of Waldau "Does she refuse to treat a patient despite her superior telling her to do so, and let the patient die? Or does she follow the orders given to her, and save the man's life while apparently putting her career at risk?" a situation he says is "truly unethical"

Some hope was expressed that Fire Chief Holman may intervene and rehire Mrs Cardona and that the couple are truly disappointed with LSFD's internal affairs following the incident. When asked whether LSFD had their own active union, Mr. Cardona stated that they didn't, however he did say that he is "...therefore working on the creation of a San Fire and LS Fire Union in partnership with the Los Santos Police Protection League and their new President, Jorge Nava. It is essential that employees have proper rights to prevent situations like these."

He maintains that his wife was set up to breach a policy by a senior government worker in order to see her terminated, all the while "playing with someone's life", something he called "predatory termination". Cardona says he hopes to hear from the patient his wife saved that day to be able to speak to him. 

It appears all Mr. and Mrs. Cardona want is for Daisy's job to be given back after a decade with a clean record within the department. He hopes that "LSFD management hears (their) plea for a fair process"

Full Transcript:

Spoiler

Stone: Gabriel stone, interview with Jay beginning at ten thirty six P-M on Thursday the Eleventh of May. Jay please state your consent to be recorded.

Cardona: Yeuh I consent.

Stone: Alright, so why have you brought me here today, Jay? What's going on?

Cardona: My wife Daisy is-. was employed by the LSFD, but she recently got fired. I want to talk about the shameless way she got fired, however.

She's an Ocean Lifeguard, they occasionally do their EMT stuff too as they're all BLS qualified— basic life support. Daisy caught herself on a scene with an injured person. A senior paramedic called Sommer Merline Waldau, was on scene as well. She was ''IC'', which is the incident commander so to say. The supervisor of the scene.

The patient they were with required ALS treatment— advanced life support. Daisy informed her superior that she was only BLS certified, but Sommer specifically ordered Daisy to conduct ALS treatment on the patient nonetheless. So instead of arguing, wasting time and letting the patient die, Daisy followed orders of her superior and successfully treated the person. The person was then transported to the hospital, and they're doing all well, healthy and alive.

What happened next however— is absolutely shocking. Sommer went to internal affairs and reported Daisy for breaching a departmental policy— performing ALS treatment without being qualified to do such.

Mind you, this is the same person that ordered her to do it.

So what does the LSFD internal affairs do? They call Daisy for an interview, have a chat with her, and at the exact same time immediately fire her and confiscate her badge and uniform.

Stone: You say she was called for an interview. Was this a formal hearing? Did it follow the correct LSFD procedures to your knowledge?

Cardona: It did, the interview was part of their administrative investigation, but it was almost as if they already knew what they were gonna do, because she got fired immediately during the interview. No investigation to her side of the story whatsoever.

Stone: So this senior paramedic, Ms. Waldau.... she has received no punishment nor have any investigations been conducted on her, to the best of your knowledge?

Cardona: Correct. We've contacted the LSFD internal affairs and legal board several times. To appeal Daisy's termination, and a complaint on Waldau for shamelessly setting her up for a policy breach and then reporting her. However, the crazy part to this is...Internal Affairs sent me a lazy mail back saying there was no misconduct so the complaint will not be investigated.

Nothing happened to Waldau. So next? We went to the legal board to appeal Daisy's termination. I forwarded myself as her representative as I am a former Board member of the Police Union in LS and have got experience with these things.

I was however informed that they do not accept third-party representatives. I then requested Daisy to have legal representation for her appeal— but again, denied. They're denying her the right to an attorney.

The right to an attorney, even in administrative investigations, is a common right in all government agencies, including the LSPD. I suppose the LSFD handle their business differently and unprofessionally, however. We're therefore left with no other choice to take this matter to court through all legal channels. Unfortunately, this is having a big impact on my wife emotionally and mentally as she has been serving the LSFD and our community for many, many years.

She loved her job and her workplace, so all of this is very hard for her. We are determined to get her job back, however. She was presented with a very difficult situation because of Waldau. Does she refuse to treat a patient despite her superior telling her to do so, and let the patient die? Or does she follow the orders given to her, and save the man's life while apparently putting her career at risk? This is truly unethical.

I am highly disappointed with how LSFD's internal affairs and legal team are handling this situation, so I hope they come to see reason— or maybe Fire Chief Holman intervenes and rehires Daisy.

Stone: I know I wouldn't want to make that call. It sounds as though LSFD doesn't currently have an active union of its own?

Cardona: They do not. I am therefore working on the creation of a San Fire and LS Fire Union in partnership with the Los Santos Police Protection League and their new President, Jorge Nava. It is essential that employees have proper rights to prevent situations like these.

We are talking about predatory termination here. A senior government worker setting their colleague up to breach policy to intentionally get her terminated while playing with someone's life. I am also hoping to find the person that Daisy saved the life of— we'd greatly appreciate being able to speak to him.

Stone: Despite all odds she did save this man. Who is responsible for getting LSFD employees ALS trained, do you know?

Cardona: Their training and recruitment division as far as I'm aware.

Stone: Had your wife been wanting to get this training at all or had she not needed it until that moment?

Cardona: I have no idea. She's got a decade of experience, so she was successfully able to pull it off luckily.

Stone: So last of all, what really is the ideal outcome for your wife in all this? Does she just want her job back?

Cardona: She wants her job back more than anything. She's always had a clean record, never had any issues in the department.

Stone: Anything else you'd like to say before we conclude, Jay?

Cardona: No, that's all. I hope LSFD management hears our plea for a fair process, but it seems we're being obstructed by internal affairs every way possible.

Stone: Thank you for speaking to me today, sir.

rYO8dnH.pngEOtivmh.pngUxQxKsr.pngSr8gyx5.png

Edited by Degu
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1