/listendoor

mj2002

Just now, Morrigan said:

MG because it can be abused n any1 can /listendoor to just gain a upper hand, it can be a big issue if u actually do mg where someone lives n just /listendoor, its already bad enough w ppl mging and robbing houses -- if a radius was enabled for this, it'd keep it very small, like literally 3-4 steps from the door for normal talking, as per shouting im fine w that

Just to be clear, that's what the suggestion says. Normal talking only in /low range from the door. Shouting only from normal range. And if you're using /low in range of the door, you wouldn't even be able to make out the words, just that something is being said by someone, but nothing else. As for mging where people live, you can do that without this suggestion. You don't actually get OOC information through this concept, right? So the mg would already have been done beforehand.

1 minute ago, mj2002 said:

Just to be clear, that's what the suggestion says. Normal talking only in /low range from the door. Shouting only from normal range. And if you're using /low in range of the door, you wouldn't even be able to make out the words, just that something is being said by someone, but nothing else. As for mging where people live, you can do that without this suggestion. You don't actually get OOC information through this concept, right? So the mg would already have been done beforehand.

If it's something that can be done properly where the radiuses actually make sense for what's realistically hearable then sure, but there should be an extra level added to it - depending on the wall or door maybe it can't be heard at all, i.e a full brick layered wall with a metal door making it somewhat impossible to hear anyone, whilst a wooden wall with a wooden door can be tied to the radiuses. 

Just now, Morrigan said:

If it's something that can be done properly where the radiuses actually make sense for what's realistically hearable then sure, but there should be an extra level added to it - depending on the wall or door maybe it can't be heard at all, i.e a full brick layered wall with a metal door making it somewhat impossible to hear anyone, whilst a wooden wall with a wooden door can be tied to the radiuses. 

I considered that too, but as far as I know, materials and surfaces like that don't have particular material properties, so this is essentially impossible. The extra level would be taking the proximity one notch down from the shout, normal, and /low ranges, as described in the suggestion. That would represent the barrier.

• Upvote 1
Just now, mj2002 said:

I considered that too, but as far as I know, materials and surfaces like that don't have particular material properties, so this is essentially impossible. The extra level would be taking the proximity one notch down from the shout, normal, and /low ranges, as described in the suggestion. That would represent the barrier.

This seems like a good compromise then, I can understand where you came from.