/listendoor

mj2002

Detailed Description

/listendoor as an addition to /doorshout and /peephole. This command would allow a character to stand directly on top of a property door location, and use the /listendoor command to hear what is bring said on the other side. This can work like any other distance-based hearing restrictions. It would be nice to have an additional level though. When someone is speaking in /low near the entrance on the inside, it could be transmitted as hearing whispering, rather than the content of the conversation. Normal chat can be heard within what normally would be /low range, and shouting could be heard in what is normally 'normal' range. 

Optionally, this can work both ways. Being able to listen what's going on from inside a property-, but this may conflict with the proposed /peephole command.

Optionally, voices can be made anonymous rather than with name tags, in order to create more interesting roleplay.

Relevant Commands/Items

/listendoor, perhaps with a forced animation?

It may also need to work between indoor smart teleports, be disabled to outdoor to outdoor smart teleports, and be integrated into apartment menus. Being inside an apartment with a lobby could allow occupants of an apartment to listen into the relevant lobby. Our setup makes this part a bit sketchy, but better than nothing?

How will it benefit the server?

Be able to listen in on what's happening!

Edited by mj2002
4 hours ago, BLUE HUNDREDS said:

Sure if the proximity is done correctly, I don't want to be in my property's basement which should make my voice un-hearable and still have people hear my character's voice talking. 

Totally agreed! I would envision that the proximity is based upon the teleport location, and basically dialing everything back one step:

• /low becomes "whispers can be heard".
  • normal chat can be picked up from /low proximity
  • /shout can be picked up from normal proximity

An alternative suggestion is to have this simply be effective at all times, without the command, but I'm not sure what the implications of that might be. It would definitely have to be disabled for apartment complexes with menu doors in that case. It could be interesting though!

• Upvote 1

Nice suggestion in theory, but the apartment side of things would definitely be difficult. Also, standing in front of a door and trying to listen to conversations taking place would be difficult to do. Maybe raised voices/shouting but just a regular conversation would be almost impossible to hear through a house door. I don’t think it’s needed in my opinion. 

• Applaud 1
Just now, mj2002 said:

Can you explain this? I dont get it.

allowing any1 n every1 to /listendoor to any single property door = abuse n room for mg, I'm sure it's fairly obvious how that is a issue, the only way I'd agree to this is if it was a option for /s to be heard, but definitely not normal talking, irl I can talk normally and someone outside my apartment door cant heard a word I say unless i literally roar

Just now, Morrigan said:

allowing any1 n every1 to /listendoor to any single property door = abuse n room for mg

I just dont understand this. What about is this mg? You're not getting any OOC information, right? Also, keep in mind that this would only cover stuff said near the place where'd you'd enter from. Not the entire property.

Just now, mj2002 said:

I just dont understand this. What about is this mg? You're not getting any OOC information, right? Also, keep in mind that this would only cover stuff said near the place where'd you'd enter from. Not the entire property.

MG because it can be abused n any1 can /listendoor to just gain a upper hand, it can be a big issue if u actually do mg where someone lives n just /listendoor, its already bad enough w ppl mging and robbing houses -- if a radius was enabled for this, it'd keep it very small, like literally 3-4 steps from the door for normal talking, as per shouting im fine w that