CCTV Discussion

FatCatTuxedo

22 minutes ago, MafiaO said:

My problem with this suggestion is this.  I drive past the Vespucci PD at 8:50 PM in my Blue Rebla, CCTV logs that data, I commit an armed robbery in front of the Vespucci liquor store that doesn't have CCTV but has an eyewitness at 8:52 PM, I commit this crime using my Blue Rebla and this corroborates the footage from two minutes prior. Now, why is this an issue? I have the personal belief that this is way to overpowered. It can make crime damn near impossible. I get it, shit happens like this IRL all the time but on this game we have to have limitations to not make certain scripts/rules/etc overpowered.

Then be smart about it, right? Don't drive where you know CCTV will catch your character, definitely not in your registered expensive car, and don't get seen by eyewitnesses!

• Upvote 2

Let Admins just see the names. 

I think there would be lots of metagame if the name was shown. 

We've got enough outfits, and facial descriptions where LEOs can hunt / find the people. We keep records, and logs which can be used alongside. 

Love it but I’m fully against needing an admin to pull logs. It’s already hard enough to get an admin to respond to your report to begin with (not complaining, I know there’s many factors that go into that). We need to be promoting the ability to roleplay without needing staff for everything. I’m all for this but without the need for an admin for logs.

• Upvote 2

Ideally, the concept proposed by Adv is the most suitable workaround if it can be accommodated without undue server load.

Many players are suggesting using an admin as a middleman, but I am unsure how this is going to resolve anything - the admin would still have to tell you the name of the person, at which point you could then metagame to your heart's content? That won't resolve the issue?

1 hour ago, Wuhtah said:

We're already accepting reports on CCTV. This gives you guys more information to go on instead of just waiting for us to pick up the report and let you know what you'd see.

It's not creating more issues for us unless it's abused or if you need more information.

It's legit giving you guys more independence without the need for an admin to hold your hand so much. 

However, if we give the characters name, it'll be 500 MG reports instead of a few CCTV reports that just want clarification. 

I mean we’ve already seen the countless forum threads on admin response times, why add in ANOTHER thing that requires an admin to respond? It’d be much more simple to allow LEO’s to see the logs. We already have access to a load of things that could be “abused” but we’re trusted enough not to abuse them therefore there’s no reason for us to abuse this.

Simply allow it although only allow the logs to be checked by a detective? Might be a good compromise

I can suggest creating some script that takes the player's /examine and remove the stop words and store important info? Height Weight Skin color etc. This needs a unified examine somehow among players or a script very well done. I've worked on something like that before (not in a game tho) and It worked

Edited by Kimo
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Then be smart about it, right? Don't drive where you know CCTV will catch your character, definitely not in your registered expensive car, and don't get seen by eyewitnesses!

There's CCTV on a lot of blocks, not just government buildings bro. That's damn near impossible to take into account. And don't take the vehicle I used in my example literally, perhaps I should've said a Stanier as not to confuse you, I know it can be difficult sometimes discerning.

Edited by MafiaO
4 minutes ago, MafiaO said:

There's CCTV on a lot of blocks, not just government buildings bro. That's damn near impossible to take into account. And don't take the vehicle I used in my example literally, perhaps I should've said a Stanier as not to confuse you, I know it can be difficult sometimes discerning.

I just went by what you came up with, I dont believe there was any confusion. There's plenty of ways around these things. You just have to not go around doing these things blindly without any forethought. Try it out and adapt. As for the suggestion itself, I firmly believe we shouldn't put even more pressure on the available administrators. If MG is suspected, then report just like any other rulebreach.

Edited by mj2002
52 minutes ago, violeNt said:

I think most people can agree the ideal best way would be to store some kind of character description, so I second the idea of having the data wiped on a regular basis to help with storage issues. Having regularly described attributes such as height, weight, gender be stored in the same way as age is by the system could also help with avoiding the bloat of saving an entire paragraph of text.

This is a better solution.

We change /chardetails so its the following:

Race:

Additional details:

• Upvote 9