Police Volunteers

Just now, radreaper100 said:

its called lasd security officers 

LASD Security doesn't cover the Port of LA, LAX or UCLA. Each has an individual department, which would be overkill for the server, so a unified organization would be better.

As for why I'm not suggesting LSSD or LSPD Volunteers for these positions, it's because it'd basically be Port Security/ULSA Campus Security in a different coat of paint.

9 hours ago, Barbary said:

LASD Security doesn't cover the Port of LA, LAX or UCLA. Each has an individual department, which would be overkill for the server, so a unified organization would be better.

As for why I'm not suggesting LSSD or LSPD Volunteers for these positions, it's because it'd basically be Port Security/ULSA Campus Security in a different coat of paint.

yes but lasd security officers would fill this niche

I like the idea. I think this work the best as maybe a Police/Sheriff reservist. Where they can be activated I don't think it would justify a full time volunteer position. But if there is some sort of event that LSPD/LSSD need to activate some additional help. I'd be the first to dedicate a character slot to it.

Volunteer and police security are totally different things.

Police volunteers are non sworn civilian volunteers who help out with traffic and other non emergency duties.

Police / sheriff security are responsible for guarding police property and vehicles and other amenities.

• Upvote 1

Civilian staff already exists with LSPD and LSSD, port authority covers what is suggested here as well, not to mention public works who do traffic citations and other non emergency duties. Not really needed in my opinion, not only is it not necessary, but there is really nothing for them to potentially do to accommodate themselves with.

The abilities of police volunteers/auxillary swing wildly from state to state, just like everything else involving Law Enforcement in the US.

Be that as it may I still believe that a Security Police Department would be better than expanding on the existing security positions in PD/SD. If you create a situation where you're basically a security guard in a PD/SD uniform, why wouldn't people join one of the dozen security agencies that already exist. People apply to PD/SD so they can become full-on Deputies/Police Officers.

Hell, take a look at SASP. If the Rangers didn't hold Peace Officer status and couldn't arrest/investigate on their own, the faction would probably be a quarter of the size that it is now. But to this day people join the Rangers because they actually get to do things that don't make them dependent on the main two LEO factions.