Decrease Boombox placement range

Detailed Description

It would be far better quality of life if we could have the boombox placement range lowered. The volume range is significantly smaller than the placement range, making it very frustrating when you want to listen to your music but find someone a whole street away already has a boombox placed down. You cannot hear their music, and you cannot listen to your own.

When I first discovered this a couple of months ago, I was opening my food truck on the pier while Wacky Waves was open down by the water. We were far enough away from one another that I could barely see him, and yet I couldn't put my own boombox down because he had one already placed. It makes no sense to me, as I then had to RP for over an hour with no music to set the vibe of the service/scene.

Relevant Commands/Items

Not really sure. I guess just the regular commands?
/putboombox

How will it benefit the server?

Adding atmosphere to scenes, giving people the ability to listen to their music with a reasonable distance from someone else's scene. I just think this would be a really nice quality of life edit to the system already in place.

• Upvote 5

THIS ^

No realism involved in it either, more often than not there'll be someone who put up their boomboxes, only to forget they ever placed them there in the first place.

I can't count the amount of times I see people just leave their boomboxes in ideal spots for others to actually use, which as the post reads, limits a lot of stuff. Especially for those who seek to actually use them for their businesses.

• Upvote 2

As the developer of the boombox script, the reason for needing double the range when needing to place a boombox is due to the fact that if said boombox overlaps with an already existing boombox, it'll cause issues with people having their stream cutout/replaced with another stream if they move from the boomboxes location despite likely being in the range of the closer boombox, this is due to the fact that boomboxes operate on what are known as "ColShapes" which are basically invisible spheres that trigger code when entered or exited.

We use ColShapes instead of a range check as range checks require frequent looping which will have a performance impact at server peak times.

The formula for the boombox range check is something along the lines of:

* Look through all current currently spawned boomboxes on server

* check if boombox is within radius X meters (its more complicated but I dont have the code anymore)

* if boombox is within X meters, prevent spawning boombox

* if no boombox is found, then spawn your boombox

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Seanny said:

As the developer of the boombox script, the reason for needing double the range when needing to place a boombox is due to the fact that if said boombox overlaps with an already existing boombox, it'll cause issues with people having their stream cutout/replaced with another stream if they move from the boomboxes location despite likely being in the range of the closer boombox, this is due to the fact that boomboxes operate on what are known as "ColShapes" which are basically invisible spheres that trigger code when entered or exited.

We use ColShapes instead of a range check as range checks require frequent looping which will have a performance impact at server peak times.

The formula for the boombox range check is something along the lines of:

* Look through all current currently spawned boomboxes on server

* check if boombox is within radius X meters (its more complicated but I dont have the code anymore)

* if boombox is within X meters, prevent spawning boombox

* if no boombox is found, then spawn your boombox

Thank you for explaining! I figured it would have something to do with server performance, and I do wonder if there's a way to see how many boomboxes are active on the server at any given time. I'd definitely be interested to know what the average number is at peak times, as I rarely seem to encounter them except for places such as garages (where most of the RP takes place outside of a dim).

10 hours ago, Nervous said:

Range will be decreased drastically on next update

It's definitely helpful as a food truck to have the range decreased, so thank you for this! Super appreciate it!