Character Kill Application

47 minutes ago, Makkebakke said:

If this comes to pass, I should absolutely be allowed forward my earned assets into a new character. Maybe I want to RP a rich character moving into the city. I, as a person, as a player of GTA:W have put in the work. Why would I not be allowed to do this?

Did you grind IC to become a rich person? What immersion would you get out of roleplaying something you haven't earned? Roleplay shouldn't be scripted like you've stated, roleplay should be developed and roleplaying something off the bat like a "rich character" would only make matters worse, IMO.

Put it this way - if this does get approved, the economy will further be stabilised as will the drug and gun system. Through this method, assets are lost and have to be re-earned, thus removing money and drugs/guns from the server and then recycling them back into the system rather than multiplying what we already have just because we want to transfer them over to another character.

Edited by Nervous
Just now, Maca said:

Did you grind IC to become a rich person? What immersion would you get out of roleplaying something you haven't earned? Roleplay shouldn't be scripted like you've stated, roleplay should be developed and roleplaying something off the bat like a "rich character" would only make matters worse, IMO.

Put it this way - if this does get approved, the economy will further be stabilised as will the drug and gun system. Through this method, assets are lost and have to be re-earned, thus removing money and drugs/guns from the server and then recycling them back into the system rather than multiplying what we already have just because we want to transfer them over to another character.

... that's not multiplication, that's continuation.

Why does every character have to be a "rags to riches" story? Why should I be barred from roleplaying, say, the son of some out-of-game rich person? I (as a player) did earn it. I did put in the work. Why is this particular idea or story inaccessible? Because you dislike it?

I'm not trying to script roleplay, I'm saying that as an established player of this community you shouldn't be limited in choosing/creating your new character after the previous has died.

Also, what if my character doesn't die, but they instead move away? If I now apply a Namechange and become someone else, my assets remain, yet how is the situation any different if said character dies?

What you are not differentiating is the work that you put in OOC and not IC. Did you put the work in IC? I'm not saying that you should be barred from it, I'm saying that it would be much more immersive for yourself if you earned it. 

6 minutes ago, Makkebakke said:

Also, what if my character doesn't die, but they instead move away? If I now apply a Namechange and become someone else, my assets remain, yet how is the situation any different if said character dies?

Well people would use that loophole to constantly avoid getting CKed which would render the system useless. Here's an example.

Player 1 from a poverty stricken area can barely afford to feed his family. He buys a small quantity of cocaine, cuts it down and re-sells it on the street. Player 1 is the victim.

Player 2 wants to kill Player 1 because he's more well-off and his business in the coke game is being threatened by this dealer selling near him which is making him cut his prices lower to compete with Player 1. Player 2 now wants to kill Player 1 because his money's being fucked with despite warning Player 1 that he's playing a dirty game.

Player 2 applies for CK permission and gets it approved. Player 1 gets wind of this and wants to 'move out' of a neighbourhood that he's from despite not even having the funds to do it. What if Player 1 is a felon? How is he going to leave the United States? 

Think of all of this. Would it not be unrealistic for you to suddenly afford to move out of your area despite not even being able to keep up with your rent where you live right now? Despite not even being able to eat on most nights? But to avoid a CK, people would break the immersion and realism aspect just to 1 up their killer. Why not do something that's within realistic boundaries? Try and kill your killer or even pay someone to kill him. Why not even go out of your depth to call the police? Some people do that despite how 'real' they say they are in real life.

Edited by Nervous
6 minutes ago, Maca said:

Think of all of this. Would it not be unrealistic for you to suddenly afford to move out of your area despite not even being able to keep up with your rent where you live right now? Despite not even being able to eat on most nights? But to avoid a CK, people would break the immersion and realism aspect just to 1 up their killer.

What are you saying, exactly? Yes, that is a very real problem that exists right now. Do you want to limit Namechanges? How is this relevant to the current discussion?

6 minutes ago, Maca said:

What you are not differentiating is the work that you put in OOC and not IC. Did you put the work in IC? I'm not saying that you should be barred from it, I'm saying that it would be much more immersive for yourself if you earned it. 

The suggested character literally did not put in the work, but does possess these assets. Why should I, as an established member of the community not have the right to roleplay that character? The point about it being more immersive is your personal opinion. Your opinion should not affect my roleplay.

Edited by Makkebakke
7 hours ago, Makkebakke said:

What are you saying, exactly? Yes, that is a very real problem that exists right now. Do you want to limit Namechanges? How is this relevant to the current discussion?

The suggested character literally did not put in the work, but does possess these assets. Why should I, as an established member of the community not have the right to roleplay that character? The point about it being more immersive is your personal opinion. Your opinion should not affect my roleplay.

To solve the problem of people NCing to avoid being CKed, they should not be allowed to until the situation is resolved. NCing to avoid being CKed is just like avoiding RP. Hide in-game somewhere, sure. But don't physically remove yourself because you're afraid to lose your assets.

Might sound like I'm saying you do this, but I'm not directing it at you. Just your "problem".

Edited by Portz

I apologise if you've misread my post, which you seem to have done. I didn't say you should be limited or you are limited, I asked for you to actually consider if it's immersive enough for you to just roleplay rich with no effort roleplay wise. If that's what you want to do, cool beans, I wish you luck and I wouldn't ever consider saying you were restricted from doing that. 

Anyway, back on topic. Can someone bring up a valid point to my previous post? I'll quote it.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

What Portz, I and a few other players in this thread are trying to push to people is: Stop caring about the assets, the connections and the reputation you have on a virtual character. Start caring about the storyline that you're creating because you're here to roleplay, not farm assets.

If you get killed in real life - do you keep your life? Your assets? Your stockpile of drugs and weaponry? No. Why should it be any different on a heavy roleplaying server? Well, it shouldn't.

If you all really believe that you're here to commit to heavy roleplay and not keep 3 of your most valuable assets on you when you namechange like you just died in the Runescape wilderness, then I believe that we can all commit to a better roleplaying experience for everybody as more realism will be enforced. Nobody is saying that you can be CKed over the smallest of reasons, i.e - your character calling a random passerby a hoe and then she decides to come back later and kill you over minor bullshit. The other side that want to CK you have to provide a huge storyline including screenshots, perhaps months and months of screenshots, to back up their evidence for wanting to take your life. It wouldn't just be a thing that the staff members of GTA:World handed out like giving strawberries to a donkey. It'll be something that would be discussed within the team and then a verdict will be given on whether we think that would be a realistic reason for the offending character to take somebody's life and risk his own or his freedom in the event.

I've took the time to bold some keywords there so people don't jump to the "no I don't agree with this" statement. Please actually consider this, it's something that will make others think twice about killing you over ridiculous reasons and actually make both sides act more realistically because both of their lives are at stake, not a few minutes in a death state and then respawn and play happy families again. Real life consequences occur when you do something stupid enough to get your life taken - why should it be any different here in a heavy text-based roleplaying server?

Just to add to the conclusion of my reply though, it isn't the end of the road for you as a person in GTA: World. It simply means that you have the fun of creating a new character, whether it's in the same faction or another (if you were in one) and then you get to go through the development again of another character that you might even find more fun than your now CKed character. To add to that as well, it's not the end of the road for the killer either. Think about the police investigating that murder, think about the roleplay that you've provided both of those characters by your character dying in the story... Hell, even think about the killer getting caught and permanently being put in prison for the murder if he goes to trial and is found guilty of murdering you. Honestly, think about you providing roleplay and don't think about yourself in the situation - we're all here to provide role play for each other and create a storyline as that's why we all connected to a heavy roleplaying server. You'd be providing roleplay not only to yourself, but to the killer, the police, the coroner, the medical services attending the scene that will fight to keep you alive and the court system who are trialling the murderer if they get caught.

Think about all of that above before thinking about your assets! We're all here to make a better GTA World I assume, we're all here to make the server evolve from the greatness it's at now to something even greater. Don't stall the development of roleplay, help it prosper by enforcing a more realistic environment for everybody taking huge risks on their character that could cost them their lives.

• Upvote 1

PKs are for this.

You have a person who's disturbing your activities and you could fairly and reasonably kill him given the previous context? do it and it's a PK, so they have to, besides forgetting everything about you and the issue why they were killed, stop doing what they were doing to bother you.

So, a person is constantly selling drugs in your gang turf? You kill him and it's a PK, he has to stop dealing drugs on your turf. If they keep doing it, of course it's a general lack of RP knowledge and can be reported.

Think about it, either way killing people would have no meaning if they can keep fucking around no matter what you do.

I'll excuse your implication that the points I've raised are invalid.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

Real life consequences occur when you do something stupid enough to get your life taken - why should it be any different here in a heavy text-based roleplaying server?

I'm getting pretty tired of people under-selling the fact that in a CK, regardless of assets, your character dies. How can that mean so little to you when, as you've stated, you're on a heavy roleplaying server? All relationships are wiped clean. The respect you've accumulated gone. Your character development that may have taken months - if not years of your actual life brought to a screeching halt and tossed away. I have to say, I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, if done properly, I have no issue with the actual suggestion here. What I have an issue with is punishing the players for the actions of their characters, and in some cases even circumstances the character could do nothing to avoid.

If a person is blatantly baiting a criminal faction into hostilities, that's Non-RP Behaviour, and I trust the staff team to act accordingly when such is brought to their attention. If they choose to forcibly delete the character from the UCP after said criminal faction CK's this person, that's up to them. You'll hear no second word about it from me. But treating every CK in this manner? I find that to be absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

Don't stall the development of roleplay

Forcing people (not characters) to go through the establishment phase over and over again stalls the development of roleplay.

33 minutes ago, Portz said:

Might sound like I'm saying you do this, but I'm not directing it at you. Just your "problem".

No, I completely understand. Actually, thanks for being so civil.

Edited by Makkebakke

Regardind the issue about CK ending character development: it depends on the perspective from which you look at character development, but on classic pen & paper RP, like D&D, you can lose your years and years of character development in a troll's mace swing, and it's a drama, but it isn't the end of the world.

If you believe that my opinion is not civil then that is on you and I apologise that you feel that way @Makkebakke - I didn't once dismiss your point as invalid either, if I would've dismissed it I would've simply ignored you but I chose to reply!

The players are not being punished whatsoever, if you believe that killing your character is punishment then I'm a little unsure why you feel this way. Roleplay isn't punishment, I really cannot comprehend why somebody killing your character is anything near punishment - you would've done something stupid enough to get yourself killed and thus pay the price for those actions. People consistently want the staff team to be their knight in shining armour when it comes to somebody fucking with their roleplay, but why not let players take it into their own hands and eliminate your character from the competition if they're pissing you off that bad from an IC prospective? It's not unrealistic to be stupid enough to get yourself killed and this is why I believe a Character Kill system would avoid the useless reports of "it's so unfair that Player A insulted my character this is so retarded this wouldn't realistically happen!!!" when your character could just simply kill them and be done with them as a character.

15 minutes ago, Makkebakke said:

Forcing people (not characters) to go through the establishment phase over and over again stalls the development of roleplay.

You are your character. You created that character, you made that character perform those actions that put their life at risk. If you cannot accept that you are solely responsible for your character's actions then I am a little concerned that you may not understand the meaning of roleplay. You make a character and you make them play a role, the actions that you decide to take are the actions that your character takes!

Edited by Nervous