Buyable Radio Item(s)

Schadler17

Well, there was a report earlier about people using radios "in a non RP fashion" so my idea is basically make them an inventory item that you could buy so that its no longer a question whether or not you can ACTUALLY use it. If you've got it in your inventory, then it shouldn't be an issue, even if its not a physically shown item on your person..

That being said, it fixes the "Roleplay" aspect of it.. But to add onto that..

There could be multiple variants of radios, some more "advanced" than others..

You could have unencrypted, encrypted and possibly even police scanners. This would open up a bunch of RP possibilities and aspects behind radios that aren't currently being implemented. If you're doing crime and using 2 way radios, you probably don't want to be doing it on an unencrypted channel.. But if you're solely doing work as a trucking company, why would you need to encrypt your communications? Distance is another factor to come into play, you could make some radio types transmit further. Ones that don't transmit as far could pick up interference and lose parts of the transmission over long distances.

Certain vehicles could also be equipped with radios, including long range radios that a person wouldn't necessarily be able to carry in their pockets.

Just adds an entirely new aspect into the communications between players.

Edited by Schadler17
  • Upvote 7

Yes. I think you should need a radio item in your inventory to be able to use /r.

Allows for stealing someone's radio to prevent them from communicating (in case of kidnapping, for example), or even to know the victim's radio frequency, etc etc

+1

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

Bumping this.

I would love to see police radio scanners, giving access to the LEO frequencies to civilians so we can see news media outlet chasing scenes, alike LA.

That would promote more civilian roleplay and interactions.

If I remember correctly, this was in the to-do for developers back in my day, I'm not sure if this is still the case but this is something that developers (back at the time) wanted to do and I believe I made a prototype of where you needed a "walkie-talkie" on localhost but never got far into it due to other higher priority tasks.

1 hour ago, Seanny said:

If I remember correctly, this was in the to-do for developers back in my day, I'm not sure if this is still the case but this is something that developers (back at the time) wanted to do and I believe I made a prototype of where you needed a "walkie-talkie" on localhost but never got far into it due to other higher priority tasks.

Could it not be worked similarly to how "/anim smoke" is locked behind having consumed a cigarette or marijuana in the last ten minutes?

"/r" doesn't work unless radio/walkie-talkie/whatever is found in the inventory? 

10 minutes ago, Dan Silverstone said:

Could it not be worked similarly to how "/anim smoke" is locked behind having consumed a cigarette or marijuana in the last ten minutes?

"/r" doesn't work unless radio/walkie-talkie/whatever is found in the inventory? 

Honestly, it could do. I just never got around to finishing the prototype or even pushing it to the git repo.

• Upvote 1