Country farming with Gloria Green

Maybe Tonight

Glori's palms planted on the bar, moistening from beer spillages. Her sepia reflection met her gaze from the liquid surface, eyes shining and lips curved in a grin. Taking a gulp of amber fire from the lipstick smudged glass, emptying it. The offer of a refill was given. Whiskey, neat the answer, shouted over the noise of the juke.  The bar was crowded with bodies leaning up against it, a group of lads taking up a worn table to the back and the roaring of motorbikes outside.

Sliding up closer to the gruff looking man, she’d been whispering with, Glori’s cheeks blazed as he hung an arm around her shoulders. His weight and her intoxication, resulting in a stumble. Bellowing laughter deafening her as she clung to him. Gloria had held on to another the night previously. She’d liked him enough, like all the men she slept with. The trouble, feelings developed to quickly and left a hollowness in Glori, so here she was falling anew. Moving quickly on a tidal wave of whiskey.

Her appetite had ended her ill-fated marriage, helped by her husband’s distance. Phillip’s absence was a product of a high-flying career and a feeling of completion, once he had convinced Gloria to marry. Both parties disinterested once the ink had dried.

Drinking had painted thin veining across her ruddy cheeks but bestowed confidence. This she used to approach men, like the one beside her, promising his time and attention. Don’t believe him she’d think as his heat washed over her. It’s not that he would purposely deceive but she knew the over recited line off by heart. Please, let it just be fun, no promises and no disappointing each other. All Gloria wanted was not to be forgotten.              

Meaning of the word

Glancing up the road, Gloria could make out a black SUV idling. The ranger’s voice faded away into the background. She couldn’t concentrate on his words, feeling her blood pounding in her ears. Why was he still here, was it him? They had met in the city, spotted each other at the bar and driven out to her RV. As he dressed, pulling on his boots, Gloria lit a cigarette and let the smoke curl out between her parted lips. “You know this is it, I don’t do seconds.” Turning his head at her words, the bald man replied, “You’re not going to let me take you out?” Pulling a top down over her shoulders she contemplated her reply, his gaze unwavering.

“Ma’am, are you alright?” Another ranger had joined, noting that the girl before him was bare foot. Flustered she fanned her trembling hands at the ranger, shushing both. A small Panto, blocked the road and needed unlocking to move. “We can talk inside, if you’d like ma’am.” Throwing another look up the street to the red glow of tail lights, she followed inside the ranger station. Illuminated by white fluorescent bulbs were a couple of black seats, positioned beside the Rangers desk. Perching on one of these seats, Gloria rubbed her temples, figuring out how to explain.

“You don’t want me tying you down.” She answered, she didn’t think he’d be the type to want a attachment. The man’s burly figure, towering over her, his body plastered with white supremist tattoos was evidence she’d not thought this through. It wasn’t an uncommon occurrence for her to drink till she became reckless and rowdy but this night’s events had spiralled. The couple had left The Heat nightclub in a rush. Another man had been shot and her companion had not wanted to stick around to see the cops show up. “I’ll give you my number baby” He wasn’t taking no for a answer. “I don’t do seconds” she persisted watching him take his phone out. He dialled. A hollow buzzing emitted from under the bed. In her drunken stupor she had forgotten passing him her number at the club. Reddened her cheeks burned as the man smirked, satisfied he would be seeing her again. The door clattered shut, leaving the RV much emptier. Slumping down on the crumpled bed sheets,the ranger had rung.

How do you explain, that you are fearful of a meth headed white supremist, that you willingly slept with? This wasn’t what rangers should have to deal with but when the ranger had called, she’d seen a way to maybe get help. Yesterday, she had refused to believe she had a drinking problem but tonight, no one could have denied Gloria Green needed help. Both rangers exited to check her RV. Staring downward, with folded arms clamped between her stomach and thighs, wishing she’d gone home after her meal with Al at Casey’s. Minutes passed and the rangers reported back informing her that the SUV had left. One Produced a piece of paper with the Pillbox Health number scrawled on it and motioning to pass it over to the doubled over girl. Noticing the number out of the corner of her eye she reached out, accepting the help gratefully.    

Switchblades - Part One

In the sunset, the reflective surface took on an orange hue. Something this dangerous should feel heavier Gloria pondered. Could she even bring herself to use it, even in self-defence? Hearing a car pass, abruptly cut off her thoughts, she slipped the blade in her back pocket, continuing across the bridge. The Blue Lion was the only place she could think of, where Al might be. Striding for the doors a familiar face appeared on the sidewalk. Glori and Carl had met the night she had made her biggest mistake, how different it would have been if she had stayed dancing at the Casablanca and not made her drunken way to The Heat. “Carl?” She checked she hadn’t been mistaken. Recognising her he questioned as to why she was heading into a pub, he was somewhat aware of her attempted abstinence. “I’m looking for my friend, Al, he knows the owner.” She informed Carl. He quickly offered to assist in the search.

The Blue Lion was an English Styled pub, a few slot machines, beer rings on the table tops and a group of punters gathered at the bar. Without stopping Gloria scanned the crowd, whipping her head to search the booths and tables. With no Al in sight, she Pressed herself against the side of the bar, rocking on the balls of her feet, she asked the bar tender if the owner could be reached. Another man perked up “He’s stocking up.” Carl trailed behind, less agitated than Gloria. Behind them the door to the back room was exited by a man with a distinctive flat cap. Some relief swept over Gloria, maybe Barry would know or at least, have heard from Albert. Barry’s answer was not what Gloria had hoped, he hadn’t seen Al, not today. She needed Albert to know, know everything. The idea that she wouldn’t be forgiven had been shadowed by her determination to tell Al the truth. “Trouble, is our Albert” Barry chuckled, maybe in an attempt to ease her concern. “Just tell him, tell Al, I’m looking for him” her words came out pleadingly. Hearing this Barry promised he would and returned to the back of his pub.

Resting against the bar, waiting with Carl in case Al would walk in. Whispering to each other, Gloria explained to Carl the events of the past couple of days, every so often feeling her phone buzz in her jean pocket. “Ready to order?” inquired the young bar tender. For the first time in years, alcohol didn’t even tempt her, it wasn’t the real temptation. Gloria waved the young man away, “no, not me, I’m waiting for someone” Instead she reached for her phone, a barrage of messages had waited for her. An invitation to drink, to indulge in drugs, a concerned question and finally a small threat. “Don’t make me drunk call you, missy.” The anxiety she felt increased. Maybe in a crowded place with a chance to defend herself, she would be able to convince him to leave her alone. Letting him know where to find her then shoving her phone back into her jeans, Glori gripped the bar. Sure enough, not long after this, a group of skinheads stumbled in. Unmistakable because of the pride tattoos littering their white skin. One was instantly recognisable by the swastika inked onto his forehead, the off-white wife beater and black boots were the same as the night they had slept together.

“Here we go” Gloria stated quietly, watching Eugene and his boys cautiously. A tension between the Northside Skinheads and the original crowd instantly turned to hostility as they hassled a pair of eastern European guys, who in turn baited them. A scuffle broke out between them, the bar tender getting caught up in the fight. It ended as quickly as it had started, the Northside boys ceasing with the bartender being helped off the floor by Eugene and Barry, who had come to see what the ruckus was. “You can’t control them for five seconds?!” In her rage, Glori had stepped up to Eugene but regretted it as he towered over her. His face was bruised, an open slash, freely bleeding down his face. “That wasn’t my boys, been having trouble all night” Eugene Ray stared fixedly, trying to obtain eye contact with Gloria. Ignoring his look, both terrified and troubled by the sight of blood she inspected his face. “I’d damn your ass if I’d died” as he said this, his eyes left her face, flickering to Carl. “Whose he, he’s looking at me oddly.” Panic setting in, not wanting anyone else getting hurt, she led the bleeding man to a quiet corner. Carl had headed out as she did, promising not to run away, she followed her friend.

Outside, on the pub’s doorstep, night had fallen and Gloria was refusing to stray from the pubs light. “Why don’t you leave?” The question made her bristle, Carl didn’t know how scared she was, if she left now, would a furious Eugene find her, alone. “He’d find me.” She whined. “You’re not where’s Wally, this city is huge” he reasoned. Carl had a valid point but Gloria couldn’t shift the feeling she held responsibility for what had happened. “Unless you want to be found.” That hit a nerve, she faltered, she had wanted Eugene’s attention but only for that one night. Now he wouldn’t be shaken, no matter how much she’d begged him to go. “I can’t get into this” her voice came out stern as she turned on her heel re-entering The Blue Lion.  

Edited by AbigailGreen
Spelling