Hiring advertisers

Entity

Whether this is a pet peeve of mine or a blatant breach of the metagaming/mixing rule, I don't believe it's something that should be allowed on the server. I'm seeing this come up in conversations and adverts quite often and it makes zero sense on an in-character level.

For those who are not familiar, in order to literally put your business on the map you need an active gold or platinum donator status. Since lots of people own businesses but do not have one, they resort to hiring 'advertisers' - advertising IC jobs for OOC gold and platinum donators. It's also a common thing to ask whether said person has an 'active gold or platinum advertiser card or membership'. I've never seen administrators refer to this which I believe to be an issue, nor ever seen it mentioned anywhere as a breach of any rule. I think it is something that should be looked into, added to the rules and enforced from now on.

Moreover, most of the characters filling these 'advertiser' roles have no IC background, story or development in these fields. They're street racers, truckers, car flippers, even gang members and such.

While I do agree that you should be able to make use of someone's OOC /blip and /bad access since not everyone is able to afford buying a subscription, it should be an entirely OOC thing. It should have no connection whatsoever to our characters or to the GTA World lore. It shouldn't be advertised or brought up in conversations. What do you think?

Whilst I agree that its stupid to see what else can be done from an IC perspective? The whole business /bad being restricted on an OOC level almost forces people to be creative IC in order to get people who have access to the OOC command to work for them. 

Unless /bad is made public for anyone who owns a business the best and most realistic compromise is having people who can do "advertising" for a business.

4 minutes ago, K3V said:

Whilst I agree that its stupid to see what else can be done from an IC perspective? The whole business /bad being restricted on an OOC level almost forces people to be creative IC in order to get people who have access to the OOC command to work for them. 

Unless /bad is made public for anyone who owns a business the best and most realistic compromise is having people who can do "advertising" for a business.

True, but that's a different problem. In my opinion, it shouldn't be addressed by allowing people to break the server rules. The problem is that the whole concept of 'advertising' in this case is a blatant case of mixing IC with OOC which more than that has no connection to any character or their backgrounds.

6 minutes ago, Jennie said:

I agree as well as agree to limit "looking for a designer" ads, but we cannot ban these ads due to some OOC limitations

That's different though. There's lots of people who actually role-play as interior designers and some of them are damn good at it too. There's interior and graphic design companies and that's something that happens in real life. Yeah, the actual process of designing a place is OOC but that's totally different.

There's no 'advertising agencies', no character whose characters are solely 'advertisers'. Advertisements are already an extremely abstract concept and in my opinion, should just be abolished but this just makes everything feel very metagame-y.

• 3 weeks later...

I consider myself a good designer, but since I'm not a donator I can't do much. If we were purists, it wouldn't make sense for a character not being able to buy furniture for their homes, or not being able to advertise their business. For the ones who can't or don't want to donate, being able to hire a designer or advertiser is useful. I know that there is ooc/ic mixing, if you want your business decorated or advertised, you can either pay in game money and hire someone or real money and do it yourself, but there's no other choice to be honest.

No, what should be fixed is that anyone has to donate to put a blip for a scripted business that they own or manage. Even as an owner if I hire someone and they wanna work when I'm not around they wouldn't be able to put a blip despite me donating.  

Edited by Momo's Revenge

My two takes.

1. Everyone should be able to do /blip and any command a donator (How do you spell it?) can, That is sneaky pay to win.

2. OOC ads should be banned, No more /ad, /blip and ect. You need to advertise with IC Info markers.

• 2 years later...