Responding to ads with the sole intention to set up robberies.

The OG Juicebox

I always make the meeting spot for the transaction at a bank or by a police station. Not that hard. If you respond to an ad saying "I got a cool car, come down to this alleyway in Davis to check it out" you deserve what happens. As for properties, if I think something is up, I tell them to meet in a place like that before I show them the property. So they can't just pull up in a mask and do a quick one.

Edited by PunishedCosby
13 hours ago, Exploits said:

I also guarantee that if you ask most of these people to meet you at a rules bound crime-free zone, most would buck the deal for sudden and wholly invented reasons.

I really don't recommend anybody folly themselves with the idea of 'handling this ICly'. 

But what you just described happening is literally handling the situation ICly? A robber won't come meet you at the police station, so you don't get robbed. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1
On 12/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, The OG Juicebox said:

Thoughts on this? There's nothing in the advertisement rules to prevent it. People use the ad system and respond to players selling cars/houses/looking for mechanics/etc. with zero intention to actually go through with the transaction, only to rob them instead.

Too many robberies in general.

The server has six times the murder rate of Venezuela. There's a problem with that, and for some reason everyone seems terrified to address it with harsher risks involved for robbers.

Even if you forbade it via the rules, you'd just have robbers coming up with a new, creative, and shitty way to target people.

The problem should be solved IC. I also do not think much of such raids, but why do you have to intervene OOC now?

More patrols by the Police Department, if someone has a lot of money with them and wants to make a transaction, they can assign someone from security to protect them for the period, meet in busier places, there are so many options....

1 hour ago, Smilesville said:

The server has six times the murder rate of Venezuela. There's a problem with that, and for some reason everyone seems terrified to address it with harsher risks involved for robbers.

I don't think cherry-picking one particular aspect of the server to compare it's proportions to real life gives a very fair view of things. Yes, the crime rate on the server is way higher than it is in real life. But so is the ratio of LEOs to regular civilians, so is the percentage of people that are truckers, etc. The fact is that in real life, the VAST majority of people lead pretty uneventful and boring lives. Most people don't come on an RP server to RP going to work sitting at a computer all day, then go home and play video games for a few hours, eat dinner, and go to bed. They come to have fun, and make interesting stories and experiences with other people. The effect of this is a much higher proportion people having more 'exciting' or interesting lifestyles than you would see irl. This falls on both sides of the legal spectrum.

I think that picking out random stats to compare their ratios to real life is kind of pointless, since almost every stat like that is going to be very different to actual life. And in general, that's what makes RPing fun.

Edited by Ellix
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Ellix said:

I think that picking out random stats to compare their ratios to real life is kind of pointless, since almost every stat like that is going to be very different to actual life. And in general, that's what makes RPing fun.

"Fun" isn't the vibe I get from this thread.

I'm pointing out that in our eternal struggle to balance fun with realism, we're achieving neither until we address the elephant in the room - robberies are more lucrative than most anything else achievable a comparable timeframe (poker is an exception, which is why you don't see much RP there either, but at least you're consenting to being dicked over with no RP.)

This should not be the case, but for some reason, it's tolerated.