Different Language Color in Chat?

MinuteMaid

• Ever roleplayed a character that can speak a different language, but didn't want to use (Spanish) or (French) at the beginning of your sentences? Some players know different languages more than others and tend to actually use it against other players that don't know the actual language when it's being typed out at them. It can break the immersion when a player does this because it can cause OOC confusion and can make someone feel like a noob. It's the same as someone using street slang on a hoodlum character on someone who is roleplaying their character is from that environment but does not know the slang OOC when their character should easily identify the terms.

• Diving into other cultures with a character can be difficult when you aren't from that culture or lack solid knowledge of its language and terminology. Could there be a way to introduce a script to the server that can replace the use of (Spanish)/(French)/(W.E Language)? Like for example, with GTA IV when characters in the story would use other languages the subtitles would turn grey. 
     4d1f0db73b9df6b3750be3f523db2530.pngb84bbc7851355cd78ce67c7911fffdae.png
  • Could there be a way where it can be added in that when the player types [RUS]/(RUS) or [SPA]/(SPA) at the beginning of their sentence that it turns their dialogue into an off white color?  I'd understand why some players probably wouldn't want this, but why not? When a player uses a microphone their dialogue color changes, when a player whispers their dialogue color changes, when a player uses /low the dialogue color tones to grey, when a player uses /cw it turns yellow. Why not make blue-green (or whatever is decided) the color for different language dialogue to eliminate the parentheses in chat?

Like for example, if I were to type "(SPA) Niggas got shot bro!" instead of the " (SPA) " part showing up, my character's dialogue would pop up a different color instead. For example: Top line = (SPA) at beginning  / Bottom line = No (SPA)

4f65eb63d199df7f61ad9b071e06bd44.png

And as my character says what she says an /ame could pop up over the top of her head saying "Renata Valasquez speaks [Language]." It could be a neat feature to use in game, but not a mandatory feature. It could be used only at the beginning of dialogue not in the middle or the end, like if one were to type:

"Yeah and if you see him (SPA) tell him I'll beat his ass." it should still appear how it is now rather than the language color, just to keep the way we type from being too clunky with this language system. 

Examples of how the languages will look in the chat as well as the /ames that will appear above one's head when using this:

• "(SPA)" - Regular chatter -> the color used {a6d2d2}  (/ame speaks Spanish)
  • "/low (SPA)" - Low volume chatter -> the color used {4f9d9d} (/ame speaks low in Spanish)
  • "/s (SPA)" - Shouting -> the color used {a6d2d2} (/ame shouts in Spanish)
  • "/cw (SPA)" or "/w (SPA)" - Whisper chatter -> the color used {88c6b9} (/ame whispers in Spanish)

b66640676f47ee9ff4a065d4e5c2c9ec.png

How would this be a benefit in game? When someone uses the different language dialogue system in the chat, it will appear a different color and will likely be noticed by the player with the English speaking characters and will provide a stronger language barrier IC. It will show up better than "(Spanish) What's going on?" in the chat.

How can other players identify what language is being used by other players' character? Ask ICly or ask with a /do.

What languages could be used for this system? To be honest? As many languages as we can fit into the system with their abbreviations [the realistic modern day languages of course] (SPA) / (FR) / (RUS) / (KHE) / (MAN) etc.

• mj2002 locked this topic