Why is there a double standard surrounding VOIP Metagaming?

Trupiano

3 minutes ago, joe said:

I'd just like to remind you that virtually the only time VoIP is used in PD/SD is to communicate during a mobile vehicle/foot pursuit.

In the 7+ years of LEO RP I've been involved with that phrase has always been repeated but has never been further from the truth. Like I said before; You get banned if you have your own discord and talk to friends while you roleplay, meanwhile you have cops that sit together in the same car and don't speak a single IC word to each other IG and that's considered perfectly acceptable because they need it for pursuits.  

9 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

In the 7+ years of LEO RP I've been involved with that phrase has always been repeated but has never been further from the truth. Like I said before; You get banned if you have your own discord and talk to friends while you roleplay, meanwhile you have cops that sit together in the same car and don't speak a single IC word to each other IG and that's considered perfectly acceptable because they need it for pursuits.  

Well I'm sorry but your 7+ years of LEO RP must be on some pretty substandard role-play servers, because this sort of behaviour is not acceptable, and you must surround yourself with some low-quality role-players. This sort of behaviour is not considered "perfectly acceptable" as you say, and is actually completely unacceptable. Behaviour like this is what blurs the lines between "policing the server" and providing "quality police role-play". The latter should always be the case, not the former.

10 minutes ago, Daquan Kingston said:

I was on a bike, and I've had LSPD chasing me while my partner was evading on food, in order to separate each other. Whilst PD was chasing me, they were constantly using voice to update the location and everything else to the dynamic of the roleplay, while I had to stop my bike in order to sendlocation to my friend, or text them that I was going to go at X-location. This thing gave the PD members the unfair advantage to catch up, shoot me, and arrest me just because I had to stop in order to type, while they did never have to do so.

Hence why I'm saying; If LSPD is allowed to use voice in such dynamic situation, the other party should be allowed to use voice in the same type of situation with PD, or do the best thing: force both sides to type as it's a text server.

I can understand this from your side and I apologise that you feel unfairly disadvantaged as a result of this. I don't have an answer or a counterargument for this, other than that systems like this are required and are necessary for role-play to continue.

11 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

1) What means "fluid and continuous" role-play first of all? I mean, I will use VoIP also, because I want fluid and continuous role-play. Everyone joined the server and saw the big white message "Text Based". So what is the issue here, if the situations take longer to handle? We all know that people need time to write, and this is, in my opinion, fine. Same rules for every player, exception ONLY admins or staff.

2) And you say "ensure role-play flows without hindering performance" - uhm, that is exactly the same point Daquan made from the other side: why can the PD/SD use it to ensure role-play flowing without hindering performance, and the other side can not ENSURE role-play FLOWING without HINDERING performance? Like I said - you yourself point out the double standard. 

Allowing role-play to continue and pan out without unrealistic disruption. I understand how you may wish to use VoIP in this situation as if you were using a mobile phone, and I agree that it would be fairer for the other party to have access to such a means of communicating.

3) Sorry, but this "these channels are moderated by faction..." is totally out of order, ya know why? Are they only allowed to use those channels, when staff or the named persons are Online? Yes/No? I guess not, and this leaves a gray area, where metagaming can be used. 

Yes there is a grey area, but me mentioning that there are faction members who moderate these channels is besides the point - they don't need moderating for them to be used, faction members are expected to treat this privilege fairly, and considering as much as I've witnessed they do.

"If illegal and non-LEO..." - well, make a illegal faction TeamSpeak channel then?! What is the issue? Have one for legal, and can not do one for illegal? This is kinda funny argument, to be honest. 

That's not up to me. Make a suggestion.

I feel like a fairer option to completely eradicate any possibility for metagame via VoIP outside of TAC channels would be to remove player-to-player channels/duty channels and only have TAC channels, or make it so that LEOs do not have TeamSpeak privileges to use their microphone in any channel other than TAC channels. But this is something that will receive a lot of uproar and backlash, as these channels are used by LEOs to communicate with each other and chat to each other on an OOC basis.

Edited by joe
  • Upvote 1
Just now, joe said:

Well I'm sorry but your 7+ years of LEO RP must be on some pretty substandard role-play servers, because this sort of behaviour is not acceptable, and you must surround yourself with some low-quality role-players. This sort of behaviour is not considered "perfectly acceptable" as you say, and is actually completely unacceptable. Behaviour like this is what blurs the lines between "policing the server" and providing "quality police role-play". The latter should always be the case, not the former.

My LEO RP has always followed the same parameters regarding VoIP, and you can declare there is enforcement but this isn't what's actually happening and people see through that. Those 7+ years have been on the exact same servers where the current leadership base their models and experience on. And my experience on the GTA W legal teamspeak hasn't been any different. The server has a ridiculous amount of channels for every single thing conceivable and people pile together, mixing as they please under the guise of sanctioned VoIP. The lack of enforcement is ridiculous, this goes for all factions that use TS and not just PD or SD. You have people finding it acceptable to jump off ledges while updating. Not to mention blowing back shots after being dumped on and landing on your face, their first focus is not to roleplay it's to check Teamspeak because it didn't work. This isn't singling out one person, the sheer carelessness and total lack of self-awareness demonstrates that they had absolutely 0 problem doing this, pointing to the evident structural acceptance. As long as you have people that do this, and people who use VoIP to operate IG, people who patrol together with 0 roleplay and people on scenes not talking to each other but magically communicating you'll be hard pressed to find people who understand why they need it. 

Just now, eTaylor said:

My LEO RP has always followed the same parameters regarding VoIP, and you can declare there is enforcement but this isn't what's actually happening and people see through that. Those 7+ years have been on the exact same servers where the current leadership base their models and experience on. And my experience on the GTA W legal teamspeak hasn't been any different. The server has a ridiculous amount of channels for every single thing conceivable and people pile together, mixing as they please under the guise of sanctioned VoIP. The lack of enforcement is ridiculous, this goes for all factions that use TS and not just PD or SD. You have people finding it acceptable to jump off ledges while updating. Not to mention blowing back shots after being dumped on and landing on your face, their first focus is not to roleplay it's to check Teamspeak because it didn't work. This isn't singling out one person, the sheer carelessness and total lack of self-awareness demonstrates that they had absolutely 0 problem doing this, pointing to the evident structural acceptance. As long as you have people that do this, and people who use VoIP to operate IG, people who patrol together with 0 roleplay and people on scenes not talking to each other but magically communicating you'll be hard pressed to find people who understand why they need it. 

It upsets me that this is what you are reducing all law enforcement role-play to. I am not oblivious to the fact that these things can occur, and I understand that TeamSpeak is a platform which allows metagame to such an extent to take place, but it is not fair for you to pin this label against all legal role-players who have access to TeamSpeak. Your own experiences clearly speak for themselves, as does the aforementioned video link, but these are individual experiences and do not account for all legal experiences. I have not had experiences like the ones you have mentioned in years of role-play. These are 2014 LS-RP era role-play standards and I wasn't under the impression things like this were still commonhold today. Regardless, it does not happen everywhere, and it's not something I have personally witnessed in the LSSD since my time on GTA World.

If the things you have mentioned really do occur on a regular basis, then legal faction management need to step in and enforce some very strict TeamSpeak usage rules.