[PNN] An Interview with two Antifascist "Freedom Fighters"

Username:  MidsummerEvenings

Comment:  I’ll take their word that there actually was a tipster with a rumour, which led to follow-ups and useful leads worth pursuing; so I’ll retract my characterization of PNN’s investigation as “fishing” about. The concern persists, however, that PNN thought it appropriate to publish this despite the risk of misinformation outweighing any benefit that could be had from exposure. There is attendant concern, also, that PNN’s editorial screening produced what can only be called extreme and sensationalistic — possibly the most extreme parts of an interview they admit isn’t presented in whole.  It is reminiscent of tabloid fodder, certainly not a respectable, objective investigation. 

The concern I expressed was not that PNN made a claim; rather, it was that they failed to disclaim — specifically, failed to ensure fair reporting by including a caveat of some sort. PNN says it did not include “large disclaimer” because they intended to leave readers to their own devices.  For a highly-charged topic — one rife with fantastically bizarre ideas of collusion — that is irresponsible journalism. 

This justification also appears disingenuous if one turns to the very first line of the article. It does not describe the group in generic terms as a paramilitary organization, but, instead, expressly fixes the “Antifa” label, as if to announce their affiliation. An objective report would have forgone the label and described the group generically in the opening; followed by, perhaps, a statement to report that  “the organization claimed to be part of Antifa” (or some other statement along that line). The way that opening was delivered was not objective; it primed readers to associate the interview with Antifa. Above all, it lent too much credence about affiliation to an unreliable representation by two masked individuals.

Unfortunately, PNN comes off as a wolf in sheep’s clothing — much like the far-right provocateurs we’ve seen in other places as of late. These deceptive tactics are too familiar to not warrant suspicion. 

The concern about the absence of a disclaimer also persists. I did not expect a “large disclaimer” in PNN’s delivery. An appropriately-placed caveat no more than a single line — perhaps a few words — would have been enough. PNN couldn’t even manage that. And if PNN couldn’t manage to give a caveat, can one be blamed for thinking that they aren’t actually interested in fair and objective reporting? 

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic