Trucking Script Tweaks.

Flow

Short description: Trucking Additions.

Detailed description:

First off, I want to say compared to the previous system, the last revamp has been a major improvement and livelier. While a part of the community still perceives the job to be extremely grinding oriented without any flavor, I can say it’s not bad as some make it to be. That said, I’ll go on with a few additions and tweaks that would really help this take up a notch.

• More Subtasks.

The spectrum of a union based job like trucking goes far beyond simply driving from point A to point B. At Fairheart, we’ve tried introducing more jobs like desk-based jobs such as maintaining all the records, keeping track of who’s doing how, supervisions, cleaning and maintenance of the lot, the building, as well the fleet.
Allowing /startshift payments for individuals working at the depot for jobs like these would be one major help to this issue.

• Driver Based Tracking.

Currently, although the /startshift command works for the trucking script, it’s safe to say there is no purpose or intent behind it. It doesn’t pay, which I figure it was never meant to, though it does show the time somebody’s been doing shifts. Again, as soon as you leave the vicinity of a depot, the time is no longer tracked. 
And I can safely say this too, time tracking will never work for the script even if the range was removed, because one may drive around with a fleet vehicle and do anything they wish.
The solution to this? Having a track of the number of deliveries completed by each trucker during the week, and perhaps the amount of money they made to the firm and themselves from their contribution.
This will give a clear insight to the upper half of the chain, leaving room for incentives, promotions and so on.

• Bugged Location Reporting.

I’ve figured while the PM sets up the custom item and businesses scripts, though in the process there’s a few locations where delivery points are not accurately set. 
A number of such locations have been unreachable, letting the entire run down the drain.
A simple thread or a process to report such spots would be extremely handy, so concerned admins can fix it as soon as possible.

• /lastdriver for managers.

Often times for some reason or the other, one may leave vehicles lying somewhere. IRL obviously people log the vehicles leaving the depot with and sign papers. For the game, we have them radio what plate and vehicle they're leaving with. There are cameras at most of the depots too, so we would realistically be able to figure out who drove the vehicles last, to prevent and figure who's behind some misuse (if any).

These are just a few things I touched up on and thought would be a major help,  I'll tag @Chuck Lee since you've been at this longer and may have more to add.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

The suggestions will certainly bring more essence to this line of roleplay.

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1

Good day, I want to touch on those who work in the trucking industry but do not drive the trucks. I have been doing this for 8 months and have spent hours of my day rping these positions. I have worked in the office as an intern, HR, management, etc. I have held many positions as the company has grown. The only payment I had received while working in a corporate office is the little paychecks you get for 500 an hour. It wasn't until months later when I saw others getting paid for things that I started to question this. It's not a fair system. I worked so hard, spent all of my rp time working to improve the company, bringing in new recruits, signing contracts, showing them around, how to set up their uniform, how to use the radio and how to start their shift in the trucks. I rped every little thing. The short end of this process takes about 20 to 30 minutes but can sometimes take more time depending on how in depth the other wishes to rp. I would get exhausted because of the constant rp and ask someone else to take over. It's difficult knowing the extent of my rp and then walking into a bar and understanding that these individuals are able to use the /startshift payment system with minimal rp. Most of the time when I walk into bars some bar tenders are afk and it takes them a bit before they "see" you standing there. They take my order, prepare it with minimal rp and slide it over expecting payment and a tip. Which most get to keep, so on top of the 4000 an hour they get from /startshift they make their tips. Which is great pay for them. I'd like to see those who work in an office environment be able to make more than the 500 an hour auto checks we receive in game. A way to do this is simple, allow us to use the /startshift payment option. Have the range set inside the office. While they are inside the office, conducting interviews they are paid for their time. For me, this covers half of what I do as the first portion of the interview takes place in the office and the second takes place on the lot. If there is a way to set the script to a tag you must have in order to use the system that would allow one to not only be in office but be on the lot while earning the pay that would be even better. You could have it where if one leaves the area then the payment timer stops. Just suggestions that I do hope are useful for providing a way for those who are working hard and rping to be able to earn something decent.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll add my idea to this thread rather than making another to keep these trucking ideas together.

Short description: Allow private contracts rather than only an open market for trucking orders.

Detailed description: As it currently stands all orders for supplies go to the open market and are accessible by all truckers. I  think it would be very beneficial to allow businesses to have private contracts with individual (or groups of) trucking companies in order to promote competition. Businesses should still be able to source goods from the open market but maybe with a fixed price.

Commands to add: N/A / TBD

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? By promoting roleplay of businesses interacting with one another, rather than anonymously delivering crates, and therefore developing relationships through business workers and truckers, for example. It forces competition (depending on how pricing is set up for this) of trucking companies and also offers some security for truckers who maybe aren't as active or as fast to /startshipment than others.

Additional information: When the amount of orders and crates required becomes low on the open market (as it currently stands) it can be a race for the fastest van to get to the drop-off point - having contracts would limit the number of truckers who can do a shipment and, especially from the same company, truckers are going to be less competition-heavy when going for orders. If truckers have the security of knowing the job will be there, then they should be more inclined to roleplay deliveries more. Trying to promote as much roleplay within the trucking job I believe is vital to its growth as many people grind the job with little-to-no roleplay. 

• Upvote 1

Also the business SUpervisors should be able to  /lastincar. IMO because there's many problems that happen with trucks being left in the middle of nowhere and we have no key masters that can play all day to check when the car was returned, if it were to be returned.

• Upvote 3

I think attention should be focused on two areas, whilst the current script is good it needs fine tuning.

1 - When the server is quiet there may be only one business open. In this case, you have an absolute overload of vehicles turning up to deliver to one business. I came across 6 today, one of which was a Mule and a Semi. This just isn't realistic and can become a drain on those in the area who are legitimately trying to roleplay and are not chasing e-dollars.

2 - More emphasis needs to be made on roleplay throughout the deliveries. An example today; in the time it took me to complete one complete run another player had done 3 runs (the same route, comes back to my point above). They may argue I was over doing it with the RP however I cannot imagine a single /me for 8 crates is adequate.

Edited by Ministry
  • Applaud 1
20 hours ago, Ministry said:

I think attention should be focused on two areas, whilst the current script is good it needs fine tuning.

1 - When the server is quiet there may be only one business open. In this case, you have an absolute overload of vehicles turning up to deliver to one business. I came across 6 today, one of which was a Mule and a Semi. This just isn't realistic and can become a drain on those in the area who are legitimately trying to roleplay and are not chasing e-dollars.

2 - More emphasis needs to be made on roleplay throughout the deliveries. An example today; in the time it took me to complete one complete run another player had done 3 runs (the same route, comes back to my point above). They may argue I was over doing it with the RP however I cannot imagine a single /me for 8 crates is adequate.

Couldn't have said it better. These are the 2 main issues that need urgent addressing.

I dropped a guy from my taxi to a phone store. It took him about five minutes to figure it out since he was new (like setting custom no. and everything). By the time I reversed my taxi out of the store, THREE trucks (two Mules and one Burrito) came to drop crates and were RUSHING since that was the only business accepting crates at the non rush hour because of just one sale.

1 hour ago, ibbi said:

I dropped a guy from my taxi to a phone store. It took him about five minutes to figure it out since he was new (like setting custom no. and everything). By the time I reversed my taxi out of the store, THREE trucks (two Mules and one Burrito) came to drop crates and were RUSHING since that was the only business accepting crates at the non rush hour because of just one sale.

@Dev team please prioritize improving the trucking system ?

• mj2002 locked this topic