Bring back name tags in cars

2 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

You're missing the point, I'm asking how seeing MASK111 makes people harder to tell apart than not seeing any ID at all.

Because if I am the driver of a car and everyone gets the MASK_ID, all of a sudden I can't tell who is who, as I legit have to turn my attention to their names instead of driving, but my suggestion would fix that.

It's a good idea to decrease the draw distance of nametags when someone is inside of a car to prevent people from metagaming who is driving or who is inside of the vehicle, yet it can't be too much to where people can't report someone who is driving unrealistically or VDMing. The original distance needed to be decreased, absolutely. But not by this much. 5x or 6x would have worked, I think.

And the idea that only PD and SD want this is absurd to me. If you were DMed by someone inside of a vehicle that was just past the distance for nametags to appear, how would you report it?

I agree with others where we should have masked IDs or some other form or andomly generated number so they can still be tracked but theres just absolutely no need to see their name. Even with how it currently is, I could be pulled over and people will stop their car next to me on the road OOCly just to see my name... I feel like this is evidence enough that people rely on the nametags too much. Even if you're just 'seeing who they are OOCly', which is what tends to happen. There is just no need. So I do not support increasing the tag distance unless under a masked ID or other randomly generated number. There is absolutely no need under any circumstance to ever see a persons name floating above their head. It just helps with reporting players. So change it to random numbers. Problem solved.

Edited by Sotario

I'm late to the party, but the only issue I've encountered so far with this is identifying who is taking actions whilst inside of a vehicle.

Let's say there are 4 people in the vehicle that we've pulled over and one of the passengers emotes reaching for something. I have no way of identifying who is doing that. I know someone is doing it because I can "see" them doing it, but I can't articulate which occupant is doing it. I don't particularly care about nametags and whatnot, but what we desperately need is some way of linking the chat log to the character - whether this a mask id, or some other sort of id I don't really know. My personal experience so far is that this change has caused more problems than the issue it was implemented to fix.

7 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

You're missing the point, I'm asking how seeing MASK111 makes people harder to tell apart than not seeing any ID at all.

One could simply utilize a "/do" to ask which entities are within each part of the vehicle. I.E. "/do Which person would be driving the vehicle?" or "/do Which person is reaching for something"?

Problem solved.

1 hour ago, Lloydski said:

I'm late to the party, but the only issue I've encountered so far with this is identifying who is taking actions whilst inside of a vehicle.

Let's say there are 4 people in the vehicle that we've pulled over and one of the passengers emotes reaching for something. I have no way of identifying who is doing that. I know someone is doing it because I can "see" them doing it, but I can't articulate which occupant is doing it. I don't particularly care about nametags and whatnot, but what we desperately need is some way of linking the chat log to the character - whether this a mask id, or some other sort of id I don't really know. My personal experience so far is that this change has caused more problems than the issue it was implemented to fix.

One could simply utilize a "/do" to ask which entities are within each part of the vehicle. I.E. "/do Which person would be driving the vehicle?" or "/do Which person is reaching for something"?

Problem solved.

10 hours ago, DLimit said:

Problem solved.

Unfortunately, let's say this escalates to a '/me reaches for his pistol, raising it up toward the officers'. The player then immediately opens fire and due to vehicle sync and general rage mp, we don't see who is shooting only bullets coming into officers. There is no time here to stop and ask who is doing what. I'd love it if everyone was willing to wait for /do clarifications, but this is rarely the case in high-intensity situations.

So I'd argue no, not problem solved - simply problem expanded.

• mj2002 locked this topic