Hide name tags and set player names manually

Blu Moonlight

Let me start with this: I really like GTA World but I've also tried the Eclipse RP server and one thing I really enjoyed there was how player's names weren't visible. All they had is an indentification number and you have to manually give them a name with a command (/alias). After that the identification number would get replaced by your own manually set nickname.

I think this should be implemented on GTA World as well. It stops intentional and unintentional metagaming since you cannot know someone's full name unless someone told you or you've picked it up somewhere else IC (listening to another conversation). This would also stop people from recognizing you even though you are wearing different clothes and never disclosed your name to them. What if you don't want to give your real IC name to someone you don't trust? Right now the other party would find it out immediately. I know it's OOC information but I still believe many people might intentionally or unintentionally recognize or know people just based on the OOC name tags. You cannot trust everyone to self regulate themselves and it's very hard to regulate this as a 3rd party, that is why it should be helped and midigated with in game mechanics, that's what they're for. The IDs you get when joining could be used as indentifiers but having the player list with names kinda defeats the purpose.

PS: Also make it so that name tags/other types of hud indicators are blocked by solid game objects or at least reduce the range. It's a bit silly how you can "see" people through walls.

Edited by Blu Moonlight
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, 3Aces said:

No... it'll just cause more issues then benefits... keep it the classic way.

What issues do you think it would bring? It would require some minor readjusting of existing features like the player list but it has worked on other servers quite well without any long term problems. Everything will always cause short term issues from the adjustment but we can't let that stop us from improving the server. I believe this would decrease metagaming a lot and make the experience more immersive. I try to keep track of all the people I know and their names so I dont accidentally call them by their full name when they haven't told me that but all this becomes quite a mess. You don't have to do this in the real life and we should help our players immerse into the world.

We have a game so let us use gameplay features and mechanics to enhance and support the roleplay experience. This would also reduce HUD clutter in busy areas. There have been too many times where I've accidentally recognized someone because of the name tag which I've seen somewhere else.

Edited by Blu Moonlight

This gets suggested every few months and it always gets turned down because 1) it doesn't work all that well, 2) it makes reporting harder when somebody breaks a rule and therefore makes admin work even harder and 3) every unique nickname for every character from each person who sets that nickname would have to be saved in the database and continuously synced back with that player which'd probably cause even more lag.

The metagaming name rarely happens and if it does then that's what /report and forum reports are for and the ability to see nameplates through walls is a RAGEMP thing afaik

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic