Gunshot Detection Sensors

On 8/13/2019 at 11:09 AM, zUgg zUgg said:

He's 100% correct, the system was tried and wasn't really well received. It costed on average 70 to 90k USD per square mile to install and is way too costly. Beyond the fact PD is an a faction that supports voice communication I feel that it isn't needed. The police department should use its existing resources to coordinate better patrols. I feel this would lead to a bunch of PD huddling around waiting for some "sensor" to go off to promote RP. 

I don't see much reason for this system to be used if the real life equivalent doesn't use it. Beyond that, though, I wouldn't object to a "gunshots heard" system if you were in X proximity to an area, albeit I'd like to see distinction between loud/silenced weapons if that were the case.

9 minutes ago, Bospy said:

I don't see much reason for this system to be used if the real life equivalent doesn't use it. Beyond that, though, I wouldn't object to a "gunshots heard" system if you were in X proximity to an area, albeit I'd like to see distinction between loud/silenced weapons if that were the case.

You also gotta think in reality there would also be 10s to 100s of thousand of people spread out in every part of the city, at least one person would call it in anonymously if there was a massive shooting in the middle of the street.

• Upvote 1
On 8/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, Bospy said:

I'm supporting a version like this instead.

That sensor system was way too expensive to keep using or spread through all of LA.

But a "Gunshots heard" notification that pops up if you're within a 3 block radius sounds doable, and it'd promote PD actually patrolling. It also keeps it fairly balanced and gives gangs a chance to dip, or get lucky that no cops were around and no one in the area was that surprised by the sound to call 911.

Haven't went through much of the comments but, I'm for it ONLY if:

- It only detects shots within the city
- Which means shots outside the city wouldn't notify cops
- It doesn't give a precise location on where the shots were fired, only a district name
- It only send the notification to PD a minute or so after the shots
- I say shots because I think a single shot shouldn't notify the police, reason for that being, a single shot can sound like a lot of other things, a tire popping for example, which is usually a one time noise, so single shots shouldn't notify the cops IMO

I'd only like this system if these criteria were met, and even then I'm on the verge about it.

Cops already have advantage over illegal roleplay. This would just serve as toxic and could probably never be implemented. You've got miss clicks and everything else and yes it is unrealistic. Not all gunshots are reported, especially within 40 seconds. People a lot of times disregard shots and something else. This would basically make it to where anytime you shoot someone youd have people leaving immediately everytime because they would know about the alarm OOC. No go from me.

1 hour ago, KarMagick said:

Haven't went through much of the comments but, I'm for it ONLY if:

- It only detects shots within the city
- Which means shots outside the city wouldn't notify cops
- It doesn't give a precise location on where the shots were fired, only a district name
- It only send the notification to PD a minute or so after the shots
- I say shots because I think a single shot shouldn't notify the police, reason for that being, a single shot can sound like a lot of other things, a tire popping for example, which is usually a one time noise, so single shots shouldn't notify the cops IMO

I'd only like this system if these criteria were met, and even then I'm on the verge about it.

I agree also think I should add it shouldn't count for interiors either...

56 minutes ago, KEEHU$TLE said:

Cops already have advantage over illegal roleplay. This would just serve as toxic and could probably never be implemented. You've got miss clicks and everything else and yes it is unrealistic. Not all gunshots are reported, especially within 40 seconds. People a lot of times disregard shots and something else. This would basically make it to where anytime you shoot someone youd have people leaving immediately everytime because they would know about the alarm OOC. No go from me.

That's why everyone's saying for multiple shots not just 1 shot which could have to be a mc.

1 hour ago, 3Aces said:

I agree also think I should add it shouldn't count for interiors either...

That's why everyone's saying for multiple shots not just 1 shot which could have to be a mc.

I just don't see it happening. If someone calls the police, they call the police. We haven't incorporated NPC's on anything else, why start with NPC 911 calls. PD is set to patrol the entire city. If not receiving enough 911 calls is the issue, it's an IC thing, not an OOC thing.

• mj2002 locked this topic