Useable TVs to play movies, shows and videos via YouTube (or other SFW links)

Xatalic

Detailed Description:

Not entirely sure if it's been recommended before, I tried searching through the forums to see if it has but couldn't find anything. I think the useable TVs around the city that play the same couple shows from single player are neat but not very useful. Almost everyone's house, property and other indoor areas have TVs one way or another but they're all turned off with a black screen. If people were allowed to play YouTube videos (or other links) on it instead, that would not only increase immersion but would allow people to bond over things IC. People could actually watch things together in character instead of, say, "/do Lord of the rings is playing on the TV." even though the screen is turned off. I remember when playing on RP servers on Garry's Mod, this was an implemented system and was lots of fun since people could actually watch the same things. Internet overlays are already a thing on the server, this would just go a step further. I understand that livestreaming is already a a thing, this may not be too far off from that. It could also open doors for creative people to create advertisements for their characters/services/businesses that they could display. News could also be livestreamed from it, showing a police chase, an interview, etc. Similar to /setstation for music stations, people could maybe do /hidetv or /showtv as well. Maybe it could be a donator only option similar to the custom radio station that donators get. There are endless possibilities.

Examples of it being used on Garry's Mod:

Edit: Found this video where it's being used in RageMP as well:

Relevant Commands/Items:

/tv [setchannel] [pastelink] 

/settvchannel

How will it benefit the server?:

It would allow more immersion and the creation of better RP. We could also hear movies and shows being played as well similar to hearing music outside of people's houses/properties. I can't see it being negative in any way other than maybe annoying to some and people using it to troll and play silly things. People can turn it off and keep it as it is now which is just a blank screen if they don't want to use it. 

Edited by Xatalic
  • Upvote 1
  • Xatalic changed the title to Useable TVs to play movies, shows and videos via YouTube (or other SFW links)

Would love to see it if it's possible. But I think it's been said before that it's hard to implement a tv script on RageMP, but I think instead of making a tv that works with custom links, we could do it like how cinemas used to work in-game before, if possible. +1

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Steeled said:

Would love to see it if it's possible. But I think it's been said before that it's hard to implement a tv script on RageMP, but I think instead of making a tv that works with custom links, we could do it like how cinemas used to work in-game before, if possible. +1

Ah had no idea it had been suggested before and never really saw how cinemas worked. I did however just find a YouTube video that I posted above where someone did implement it into RageMP. Hopefully we can get something similar it would definitely improve the quality of life on GTA:W.

• Upvote 1