Vehicle maintenance & mileage

holle

Short description: Add vehicle maintenance and vehicle mileage

Detailed description: Add a vehicle mileage system, which would indicate how many miles the vehicle has driven (obviously) and using that, players can do basic maintenance on their cars. So far, mechanic garages have only done modifications on cars, and it would be a lot more realistic if players were coming in for basic inspections and repairs, oil changes, alignments, etc. The oil would need to be changed every XXX miles and if not changed, it would harm the engine and cause it to lose health (which could be indicated in /vstats). Not doing maintenance on your car and harming your engine will lead to your car occassionaly either not starting or having troubles starting (depending on the severity of the engine damage). If your engine went down below, let's say 20 health, the vehicle would rarely start, the engine would have smoke coming out, and it would need to be towed to the mechanic to be diagnosed. There'd be a certain point of the severity of damage, where players are better off buying a new car, or having the engine swapped in a garage! It wouldn't be cheap and after the engine had been swapped, its health would return back up to 100 health.

Commands to add: The options for vehicle maintenance would be in the mechanig garage's menu(?)

Items to add: Engine oil, basic toolbox

How would your suggestion improve the server? I think it would improve the realism of vehicles in many ways, mechanic garages IRL are mostly for repairs but the ones on GTAW are quite the opposite and it would be interesting to see people having repairs done on their cars in mechanic garages.

Additional information: Maybe even allow people to do oil changes themselves, using the items mentioned above? I need the community's thoughts on this.

Yes, yes and yes! I have desired this since GTA World launched. 

The script in question is identical to that of LSRP and does provide additional depth to the second hand market. It also adds to realism, that owning a vehicle not only has an initial cost, but is expensive to run as well. 

It is my opinion that the prices for vehicle maintenance should be scaled along with the value of the vehicle. Cheap cars should not be too punishing to own, while the expensive sportscars should.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, going in depth with this car maintenance is just hyper realism that would put people off and it really isn't that necessary. If people wish to RP maintenance, they can do that. ( Mind you, a lot of people do, from what I've noticed, and I RP a mechanic. ) Introducing engine health seems kind of silly and not very much needed.

The system would be tricky because, if people do modify their cars, you need to realize that some cars are built with forged internals that can handle lots of abuse which pretty much negates the suggestion put down. Personally, going into mad detail about car maintenance isn't really needed because if we're talking realism, maintenace depends car to car and some might break after a while, some might not. I'd personally just let people RP maintenance if they want to, but keep it optional other than that. People build some cars for maximum performance which ruins maintenance, and some people build cars for maximum reliability which I'm not sure how you'd implement that. Either way, I'd let people decide what they want to RP.

Edited by JustAnM43
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Arnzeal said:

Yes, yes and yes! I have desired this since GTA World launched. 

The script in question is identical to that of LSRP and does provide additional depth to the second hand market. It also adds to realism, that owning a vehicle not only has an initial cost, but is expensive to run as well. 

It is my opinion that the prices for vehicle maintenance should be scaled along with the value of the vehicle. Cheap cars should not be too punishing to own, while the expensive sportscars should.

Yup, lower end vehicles are obviously going to be able to run more without an oil change and be cheaper to maintain than some high end sports cars.

Just now, JustAnM43 said:

Honestly, going in depth with this car maintenance is just hyper realism that would put people off and it really isn't that necessary. If people wish to RP maintenance, they can do that. ( Mind you, a lot of people do, from what I've noticed, and I RP a mechanic. ) Introducing engine health seems kind of silly and not very much needed.

The system would be tricky because, if people do modify their cars, you need to realize that some cars are built with forged internals that can handle lots of abuse which pretty much negates the suggestion put down. Personally, going into mad detail about car maintenance isn't really needed because if we're talking realism, maintenace depends car to car and some might break after a while, some might not. I'd personally just let people RP maintenance if they want to, but keep it optional other than that.

While I do agree with most of what you said, I don't think oil changes are really that in depth. It's not that hard to get an oil change every two weeks or so?

Just now, holle said:

While I do agree with most of what you said, I don't think oil changes are really that in depth. It's not that hard to get an oil change every two weeks or so?

I could 100% agree with oil changes, but the thing is, on what someone else said above, just because a car is cheap, doesn't mean it'll run better or need less maintenance. Most low end cars are hoopties that are mechanically terrible. Other than that, I'd be OK with oil changes, but not every two weeks. If we implement mileage, which I'm 100% for, you have no idea how much I'd like to see mileage, we could set vehicles with maintenance as to how many miles needs to pass before a vehicle needs an oil check.

The engine health system, I have to disagree with, because unfortunately, if you've ever played LSRP, car sales go OOC almost instantly, with people refusing to buy vehicles under a certain engine/battery percentage. This system was really flawed and messed up the economy a lot, which is why I'd probably just implement mileage (this is really really really needed), and oil changes, depending. Other than that, I'd let people RP as they wish because it all depends on the build of their car.

Just now, JustAnM43 said:

I could 100% agree with oil changes, but the thing is, on what someone else said above, just because a car is cheap, doesn't mean it'll run better or need less maintenance. Most low end cars are hoopties that are mechanically terrible. Other than that, I'd be OK with oil changes, but not every two weeks. If we implement mileage, which I'm 100% for, you have no idea how much I'd like to see mileage, we could set vehicles with maintenance as to how many miles needs to pass before a vehicle needs an oil check.

The engine health system, I have to disagree with, because unfortunately, if you've ever played LSRP, car sales go OOC almost instantly, with people refusing to buy vehicles under a certain engine/battery percentage. This system was really flawed and messed up the economy a lot, which is why I'd probably just implement mileage (this is really really really needed), and oil changes, depending. Other than that, I'd let people RP as they wish because it all depends on the build of their car.

The two weeks was just a guess, each car would, let's say, have a driver's manual of some sort (just a notification on the hud indicating you should change your oil soon, maybe?). 

Now, about the engine health thing, you're totally right and I don't know how I didn't think of that. Maybe it'll be better to add in a script that, when you miss your oil changes, certain parts will break/get worn out, which can be diagnosed by mechanics, and later on, repaired.

Having this type of system for vehicles would be great! It would entice people to regularly get their vehicle's maintained and repaired. Also, as leader of a faction that maintains/repairs emergency vehicles, this kind of feature would be a great supplement to our operations.

51 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Having this type of system for vehicles would be great! It would entice people to regularly get their vehicle's maintained and repaired. Also, as leader of a faction that maintains/repairs emergency vehicles, this kind of feature would be a great supplement to our operations.

You're forgetting that not everyone goes to a mechanic to get their vehicle maintained. You can easily swap out oil in a driveway, same as do an engine check. It won't add any RP to it, not everyone on GTA:W is into cars. They'll simply swing by the shop, use the scriptwise command to maintain or change the oil in a car and be out the door five minutes later. I know this as a person RP-ing a mechanic on GTA:W and it most definitely won't get better. People aren't interested in being forced to maintaining a car. 

As I said in previous posts, engines are unpredictable. Some can run long without proper maintenance, others can not which is why I'm saying this system would never work. Let people RP what they want.