Removing the serial numbers off the gun

VULn3R

Short description: Add a scripted job that would allow criminal roleplayers to remove the serial number off guns.
Detailed description: Filing the serial number off a gun has been a common felony over many years. It is mostly done by 'dealers' or distributors so that if the possessor is caught, the gun won't be traced back to the main owner and all the owners in-between. However, there are still ways to get the serial number back by using some acids, but usually, the police won't jump into that much shit unless it is a bigger case.

My suggestion is there should a job, which players would be able to get by applying on forums, once selected, they would be able to use a command as /fileserial, there would be chances in %, as in the hotwiring system, if you're lucky the serial number would be wiped off. The percentage would depend on the players level on the job, which would increase with the number of guns a player has worked on.

Commands to add: /fileserial

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? This will provide more roleplay opportunities to criminal roleplayers, give a platform for strawmen job etc.

Additional information: Feel free to give your ideas about this.

I do agree if there's gonna be a serial number system on weapons that there should be a way to remove it, but I don't believe it should be a job to file the number it gives off a nooby feeling. If anything make it so a admin has to approve it and watch over the role-play like how admins have to approve home robberies.

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
35 minutes ago, WirelessMind said:

I do agree if there's gonna be a serial number system on weapons that there should be a way to remove it, but I don't believe it should be a job to file the number it gives off a nooby feeling. If anything make it so a admin has to approve it and watch over the role-play like how admins have to approve home robberies.

I totally agree! 

16 hours ago, WirelessMind said:

Brought it on point. Let illegal RP expand in some appropriate manner. I am new to all this, but this overall just makes sense and gives somewhat of a benefit to criminals.

The issue is that the locations in which the serials are stamped means that if you scrub it away with acid, file it away, etc to the point where acid can't be used to recover the serial, that typically compromises the structural integrity of the weapon.

I'd just combine a function to remove serials with the current metallurgist job by allowing them to expend metal parts in order to remove a serial number - which would be RP'd as their replacing the specific parts of a weapon that contain the serial number (slide, barrel, parts of the frame in some cases, etc.) Perhaps individualize the expenditure of parts based on how modular the weapon is - a Glock or AR would be much easier to work with than, say, a 1911 style weapon.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

The issue is that the locations in which the serials are stamped means that if you scrub it away with acid, file it away, etc to the point where acid can't be used to recover the serial, that typically compromises the structural integrity of the weapon.

I'd just combine a function to remove serials with the current metallurgist job by allowing them to expend metal parts in order to remove a serial number - which would be RP'd as their replacing the specific parts of a weapon that contain the serial number (slide, barrel, parts of the frame in some cases, etc.) Perhaps individualize the expenditure of parts based on how modular the weapon is - a Glock or AR would be much easier to work with than, say, a 1911 style weapon.

Best suggestion so far.

It's not too far a stretch from what we have at present, unfortunately - we could argue the opposite way as well and ask why everyone who's a metallurgist is also a master locksmith. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it is much more realistic and permanent than using acid or just filing the serial number off.

Add three different items

• File - Exhaustible tool that has a chance to break or wear down to the point it breaks. (Like the lock pick)  
  • Angle Grinder - Electric version of the file that rapidly allows you to remove metal.
    • Must be used indoors(plugged in) and must be stationary. Requires at least one grinder wheel to start. Goes much faster than the file. 
  • Grinder Wheel - Exhaustible portion of the Angle grinder. Like the file they wear down or have a chance to break.
    • Purchased at hardware store along with the File or Angle Grinder.

Implement a system that requires players to decide and monitor their removal

Add variability to the visibility of the serial. This visibility can be reduced a number of ways as listed below but may have adverse results...

1. Player uses a file and grinds a Combat Pistol serial for 5 minutes reducing the visibility of it by 18%; maybe enough for that player but not the PD.
  2. Someone else using a file could take the same pistol, grind it for an hour... visibility is 5% but the gun no longer functions as well.                       Consider a happy medium, too little it can be found, too much you run the risk of damaging the gun. 
  3. The Angle Grinder and Wheel can grind faster with less control. - 75% faster than hand filing but could easily overdo resulting in reduced accuracy or failure of the weapon entirely.

The hard Part 

There needs to be a risk! This could lead to people sitting in houses just grinding away all day on weapons for a faction and i think we all want to avoid that!

Take away

• Filing is the most common way in the US because all new firearms since the 80/90's required a stamped serial to be legally produced and sold. Removing these deep punched serials is not easy with acid and I personally feel those who are removing a serial number don't have access to acid and would go buy a cheap $5-10 file any day of the week.
  • Weapon degradation is currently only an idea, this would also need to be implemented at some point but I feel would work hand in hand with serial removal. 
  • Laws in place prevent the tampering and modification of a firearm with the intent of removing identification are met with strict penalties as they should be.  This would definitely be a felony and the ATF/FBI would be kicking your door in with a truck load of friends who are just as happy to see you as you are to see them.

• Upvote 1