How do you guys feel about voids?

kane

To put it frankly, it's one of my least favourite things of the server. There can be clear death match, poor portrayal, or anything else deserving of punishment that have a whole police scene involved and everyone around affected and I see it get voided a lot.  I think small misunderstandings of the opposing party being fairly new or ignorant to their actions can be voidable. A car crash because someone's internet or texture loss. But some of these situations being voided just makes me side eye the admin's judgement. 

Edited by perico princess
  • Upvote 1

The issue is there no punishment for a void. While a void is meant to make players happy, some sort of issue usually occurs and is not addressed which is the real problem, I would say. If a player caused hours of roleplay to be undone, there needs to be at least some sort of talk to reinforce the concept that what happened was not acceptable even if unintentional.

At a certain point, people need to be held accountable for their mistakes because they're smart enough to learn from them and not repeat them. 

And when a scene is voided you have to remember it may be an inconvenience to LEO but the rippling effects of an investigation stemming from a scene that was not valid can topple factions, disrupt politics, and permanently kill character's not even involved. 

On 12/10/2023 at 9:00 PM, Astralsomnia said:

So, in conclusion, I prefer it if nothing is voided, but I don't think GTAW can really support that yet with its culture.

I think that in servers like GTAW, the structure in which voids are dealt with is kinda necessary. From experience, I noticed that this is an issue not exclusive to GTA RP servers. But when a server has two factions that act as the illegal faction on one side, and the law enforcement on the other, no matter the setting (for example, prior to GTARP, I played many years in serious HL2RP servers on gmod), if voids weren't moderated by admins, everyone would be PKd at least once every three months, for those who are most involved in these conflicts.

I believe the current administration of voids is a direct result of the restrictions applied in the rules, whether through ROE or anything else. The more complex the rules are, the more often you'll have voids, since they have to satisfy all the requirements of the rules.

Now, I would agree with you that for those factions that are by nature in constant conflict it would be best if nothing is voided. The reason people have problems with voids is simply because their effects resonate with a third neutral party that is not involved with the conflict, and this adversity towards voids is also a consequence caused by the perception of either party that they're held to a different standard compared to the other. This perception is caused due to the different rules that apply to the opposing factions, since they act in different ways.

To determine if one faction is receiving better treatment than the other we should not take into account the judgement of any of those two parties, since their version would always lean towards their favor and diminish their rival. Instead we should focus on the impact that those two factions have on the third, neutral party..in the case of this server, the civilian population. The neutral party is not held by the same restrictions that the two opposing parties are subjected to, and they often migrate towards one end or the other but always without fully joining them.

By watching the results of the conflict between the two opposing faction on this  third neutral party will determine whether one or the other is currently at an advantage rule wise. I velieve this is the best approach to deal with voids. 
While sure, removing voids altogether would put everyone in the same level, it would also create an environment that's not appropriate for the server and what has been trying to be since its conception. What you are proposing is more akin to anarchy servers, which is something that GTAWorld is not and never intended to be.

Edited by Padex
  • Applaud 1
On 12/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, josef said:

Just to clarify (unsure whether your comment is in jest or not), admins will not void situations just because players want it voiding. While this may be something that has taken place in the past, it certainly does not happen anymore.

This right here. I've denied multiple people's requests to void if it effects more than just them or there has been an egregious rulebreak.

20 hours ago, Beholder said:

The issue is there no punishment for a void. While a void is meant to make players happy, some sort of issue usually occurs and is not addressed which is the real problem, I would say. If a player caused hours of roleplay to be undone, there needs to be at least some sort of talk to reinforce the concept that what happened was not acceptable even if unintentional.

At a certain point, people need to be held accountable for their mistakes because they're smart enough to learn from them and not repeat them. 

And when a scene is voided you have to remember it may be an inconvenience to LEO but the rippling effects of an investigation stemming from a scene that was not valid can topple factions, disrupt politics, and permanently kill character's not even involved. 

Voids normally come with a punishment on someone. Sometimes misunderstandings happen though, and stuff can get out of hand. Cant punish people for that.

Voids often do not deter a person from breaking the rules. 

I for one, would prefer to see voids paired with heavier OOC administrative punishment to act as a heavier deterrence to those who decide to RP and act outside of the rules. If someone's actions ruin a bunch of RP? They should be held accountable for that.

Edited by Nullish

Again, law enforcement factions are meant to provide a roleplay experience to other players, not to police the community / server. That job's done by server administrators.

Per server rules, you are able to continue roleplaying until an admin processes the void request. And depending on how far the roleplay went, sometimes parts of it will get voided or sometimes it won't. It is what it is at the end of the day.

• Upvote 2

The only voids I've really seen was people misplacing and punching someone (which happens multiple times a day) or someone is driving 200 miles an hour and slams into another car, which promptly is sent flying 50 feet. There's no reason to roleplay either situation because they were both unintentional. 

When it comes to traffic collisions there's usually no point in roleplaying them as cops usually don't give a fuck unless someone's been put into the downed state, which is not too often unless they're on a bike.