"GTA: World" Season II or "Thoughts on Wipes"

Rekhoem

Alright, so hear me out.

Many communities out there have things like wipes, some of them calling it 'Seasons'. 

Wiping a server and thus all characters, assets and developments seems extreme, but brings several advantages...

For one, it frees up the server load by deleting everything. At the moment, we have tens of thousands of characters, their cars and funds and inventories, hundreds of properties with their individual inventories, perhaps quite a few dormant files just clogging up everything... From a technical point of view, a wipe might be a good idea, especially after seeing how long GTA:World has been running now without a single wipe.

For another, it allows the dev team to perform changes that are currently not possible due to it possibly fucking up severe technical things, like account and character links and the like.

For a third, it completely resets the current power structures - and brings everyone back to zero, a clean slate and world for everyone to have equal chances in establishing themselves.

What do you people think about wiping servers and completely starting anew? Is such a thing even eligible for this kind of Server? 

This is not a suggestion thread. Just a discussion about the general concept of wipes.
Be nice to each other, kids. And discuss. Nicely. Without flaming or insulting. ?

Edited by Rekhoem

I think it's more targeted onto RPG and MMORPG communities where grinding is a main focus of the game. Also, if we speculated and lets say a wipe happens in GTA:W. I think it will enforce grinding even more, everyone would start anew, complicating the job of staff with property/lease requests and such and other aids that staff provides in order to give roleplay opportunities. 

A wipe would remove all current and past characters from existence. That's not a pro, that's a huge con. Lots of characters have been here for a long time and are deeply intertwined with server lore. They're part of what makes the server fun and engaging.

As far as power structures, there are ways to climb those and get your char's time in the sun.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, Daylong said:

I think it's more targeted onto RPG and MMORPG communities where grinding is a main focus of the game. Also, if we speculated and lets say a wipe happens in GTA:W. I think it will enforce grinding even more, everyone would start anew, complicating the job of staff with property/lease requests and such and other aids that staff provides in order to give roleplay opportunities. 

Well... Grinding -is- a big part of things here as well, actually. The starting funds run out rather quick. Yes, you can make money by RP, but not as much as you'd like.

The property request thing is a good point actually... noone would want that job.

Just now, arrdef said:

A wipe would remove all existing characters from existence. That's not a pro, that's a huge con. Lots of characters have been here for a long time and are deeply intertwined with server lore. They're part of what makes the server fun and engaging.

As far as power structures, there are ways to climb those and get your char's time in the sun.

Well, but they are still just characters. Files on a server which -will- inevitably get lost at some point. But I agree, the lore built by the characters makes a huge part of what the fun is here.

Just now, Rekhoem said:

Well... Grinding -is- a big part of things here as well, actually. The starting funds run out rather quick. Yes, you can make money by RP, but not as much as you'd like.

The property request thing is a good point actually... noone would want that job.

If you really need that money and wish to grind, you could make a character, grind according to the rules and namechange to dedicate yourself completely for role-play, with wipes it would become useless time sink.

Just now, Shaderz said:

You pointed out the supposed advantages of wiping assets and characters but you failed to answer this: why would we need to do that?

Two answers to this. A) You didn't properly read point one above, it gets as close as it gets to "Why". B) No particular reason. This still isn't a suggestion, just a discussion on the general idea.