Random FPS drops/stutters

AceS|

Something I still haven't figured out. I randomly get FPS drops/stutters driving around and about. (150 -> 90 FPS, -> 30 and back up). It fluctuates and freezes and stutters. A lot of times it happens near water, sometimes when near water and some areas it just stutters so bad you can barely drive.

Sometimes, also, driving around the land literally just randomly disappears, like this:

4d1513eec700a2f0e8ed95514c5bb6d8.jpg

Also, the FPS drops happen really bad around water for some reason and my water quality is on low.

I'm running:

16 GB of ram

980TI

i5 7600k

Any suggestions would be nice. I got the basics off like MSAA, game pause on loss is off, only AA I have on is FXAA.

Edited by AceS|
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Westen said:

I'm starting to get stutters too. I think the road thing can be solved by putting your game on an SSD.

It is on an SSD, forgot to mention that. Game's on a SSD and my W10 is on an M2 Stick SSD then I also have a harddrive.

Move RAGE on SSD as well.

Increase Virtual Memory from your PC settings. X2 of your ram size. Should fix it!

The steps:

• Control Panel -> System -> Advanced

• In the "advanced" tab, find "performance", and click "properties/settings"

• Click advanced in the window that opens.

• "Virtual memory" -> "Change"

Here is when it gets complicated. GTAV will use the page file that is on the disk it's installed for, if there is one. If there isn't, it will use the system page file. So if you have GTAV installed on a different partition/disk, make sure to create a new page file on the partition GTAV is installed.

Either way, the pagefile on your system is probably determined automatically. Instead, enter manual values. There are two: the "initial" size and the maximum size. Set your "initial" size to what is the "system recommended settings" and the maximum size to double of your RAM - so if you have 8192MB of RAM, set it to 16384 MB. If you have GTAV on a non-system partition, you can keep the system pagefile as it is and just create a new one with these values on the partition where GTAV is.

Another thing that you should do.

• Open up notepad

• Enter the following code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\GTA5.exe\PerfOptions]
      "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\gtavlauncher.exe\PerfOptions]
      "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\subprocess.exe\PerfOptions]
      "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000005

• Save the file, rename it to .reg instead of .txt

• Run the file once, as an admin, Windows will ask you if you want to add it to the registry. Yes you do.

• You can delete the .reg file afterwards.

This will make the game run on high priority! These fixes helped me a lot. I barely stutter now.

Edited by Zayyy