Logging 30 minutes after a crime has been committed.

Hastangz

Just now, TNG said:

Okay, so your response to all the valid points that were just brought up is your subjective opinion that it should fall under something else? The rule is very simple and it's very beneficial, and at the same time there are no cons. Exceptions to this rule can be surely up to the handling administrator of a specific situation if the player had a serious excuse to log out, but that's just common sense.

And so is common courtesy where logging to avoid falls under, it's not harder than putting it under that specification.

Just now, Mahiko said:

And so is common courtesy where logging to avoid falls under, it's not harder than putting it under that specification.

You've made your point already, please stop repeating yourself. Keep this post as clean as possible.

25 minutes ago, Flluroz said:

You should have to wait 30 minutes post crime so that all parties have their time to react to it. You gunning someone down, getting followed for 30 seconds, losing them and running around a corner and finding a quiet alley to log out in is stupid. You're now safe from retribution. If you can't wait a simple 30 minutes to make it fair for everyone, don't do the crime in the first place. Plus that arguement is terrible in the first place, what happens if you get caught by police? You'll be stuck in game for a lot longer then 30 minutes getting put in jail.

If you get caught by cops or a the avenging party during this 30 minutes then there should be a option for you to postpone the RP and log off if you really need to and continue another time. But only from a surrendered state. So you don't have to wait 30 minutes more in the cop car and in the cell while the crime report is being written or go through a rival gang's interrogation. Something on those frames.

39 minutes ago, aldo said:

lol what? what if the person has to go? 

also, how will this make a difference, the person can still stay in their house...

Maybe the rule can be that you can only log off and /vpark your car when at your house. Otherwise 30 minutes after a crime at any spot.

Totally agree with this. As a RPing police officer we encounter these criminals constantly that commit a crime and log out right away. I have witness many of them. I was involved in something of those sorts where the "criminal" shot me and logged out right away. I saw two guys running towards another police officer one of them punching him and then logging out once he entered this complex, literally one minute. So yes I'm a big supporter of this. +1.

5 minutes ago, TNG said:

So I'll explain how this is really necessary. Let's say that you're a criminal who has just committed a crime, your name was made known and the police arrives and they're told your name. You go to your house and hide there then instantly log off, the police looks up your properties on the MDC and they find trails of you outside; giving them exigent circumstances to actually just breach in and take you. But, this is not possible because well you just logged off and there are no consequences for it, and this is how this rule comes to be extremely important. 

Notice that this rule is only being suggested for crimes, you shouldn't be committing a crime if you have to go soon in the first place. A smart criminal plans out their crime properly and they're ready for any swings that the situation may take, but if you don't have half a clue what you're doing and you're just logging off instantly once you've gotten out of their sight, that's just plain stupidness and it should not be tolerated.

Forensics are coming in to the server supposedly which will help combat this issue that you describe above, and aren't homicide detectives / criminal investigators the people responsible for this? If you're just a police officer, your job is to patrol your assigned areas, continuing your job after the fact and that whole investigation and situation is now is out of your boundaries so long as you didn't catch the people responsible in the heat of the moment and detectives aren't asking you questions as you arrived there before them so you likely have some information that they could be using, because that's their job, not yours.

Unless i'm wrong and police officers on the servers are also SWAT and are also professional homicide detectives or criminal investigators on their own time as well. 

1 minute ago, Ylva said:

I've had numerous scenarios where I've tried to handle a scene as PD and have to PM the person involved for facts, simply to find they logged off the moment they bolted from a shooting. So, not only does a persons murder goes unsolved as an example but no real evidence can be collected from an IC standpoint as we're totally unaware as to what occurred and it's up to most of the time, this being the perpetrator of said crime to describe the scene for us. But, when they've simply disconnected under the guise of them feeling they're 'safe' then all of that goes out of the window.

It just sounds like PD has all the fun. Leave that detective work to detectives. Detectives should be doing detective work and police officers should be standard police work. You telling me you participate in all the fun as a police officer and also work as a homicide detective on your own time as well? 

I can't imagine realistically how much of a toll that would take on someone, all of that paper work with police + homicide, i mean how do you get the time for all of that? Interviewing or asking questions from potential witnesses, locating any potential surveillance footage and studying it, canvassing the crime scene for any evidence, + a shit ton more work load while being a law enforcement officer on top of it all.. you must have one hell of a life. 

Homicide detectives need to start doing their jobs better and murders need to start being taken more seriously and all of this wouldn't be the issue. There wouldn't be no "If he logs out and we don't catch him within the next few minutes he's gone for good" mindset. You want to start catching people responsible for murders, then they first need to start being taken more seriously. 

Just now, 1357 said:

Forensics are coming in to the server supposedly which will help combat this issue that you describe above, and aren't homicide detectives / criminal investigators the people responsible for this? If you're just a police officer, your job is to patrol your assigned areas, continuing your job after the fact and that whole investigation and situation is now is out of your boundaries so long as you didn't catch the people responsible in the heat of the moment and detectives aren't asking you questions as you arrived there before them so you likely have some information that they could be using, because that's their job, not yours.

Unless i'm wrong and police officers on the servers are also SWAT and are also professional homicide detectives or criminal investigators on their own time as well. 

It just sounds like PD has all the fun. Leave that detective work to detectives. Detectives should be doing detective work and police officers should be standard police work. You telling me you participate in all the fun as a police officer and also work as a homicide detective on your own time as well? 

I can't imagine realistically how much of a toll that would take on someone, all of that paper work with police + homicide, i mean how do you get the time for all of that? Interviewing or asking questions from potential witnesses, locating any potential surveillance footage and studying it, canvassing the crime scene for any evidence, + a shit ton more work load while being a law enforcement officer on top of it all.. you must have one hell of a life. 

Homicide detectives need to start doing their jobs better and murders need to start being taken more seriously and all of this wouldn't be the issue. There wouldn't be no "If he logs out and we don't catch him within the next few minutes he's gone for good" mindset. You want to start catching people responsible for murders, then they first need to start being taken more seriously. 

What does this have to do with the initial suggestion? You don't need to be a detective to be investigating crimes, and this rule applies for any crime that is committed; whether it requires investigation or not.

1 hour ago, Mahiko said:

And what puts you in a position to deem how the rules are interpreted?

From own experience, from being both PD and the smoking gun that has been chased down. You're fairly certain when PD or whoever is chasing you has lost track, often you know that you left your phone off and that there's no helicopter above you keeping track of you. Seeing this 'Oh but if they log.'

Do you have any idea how slow breaches can be in PD? I'd rather see it being added under common courtesy as something for players to consider instead of flooding the server with unnecessary rules, and most of all it sounds like you can't take a loss from someone getting away as most people wouldn't give a flying fuck and just deal with it ICly.

You say this after making an assumption based on your own interpretation of a rule. \/

1 hour ago, Mahiko said:

I believe it falls under this too, I don't see a reason to add another rule to the book just because some people can't understand they shouldn't log instantly. Instead of people just report them and have them punished as it's common courtesy to give people a chance to at least find you if that's the case.

No player can look at the common courtesy rule and instantly know "oh jeez, for pre-meditated crimes I need permission to log off from an admin if I want to log within 30 minutes after committing the crime"

I support the rule, as long as the crime is premeditated. This could be added as an amendment to the common courtesy rule.

• mj2002 locked this topic