In-game lock pick advertisements

K.Dot

I have a question regarding in-game lock pick ads. 

First, I fully understand that lockpicks picks are illegal in game. Edit: *To use for stealing*

Though I’ve seen several in game ads selling lock picks and have been able to buy from those ads without the seller being kicked. I’ve also seen multiple buying lock pick ads, as well as posting those buying ads myself with no problems. But I ran into another player on discord who was kicked for posting a buying lock pick ad. 

Earlier I posted my first for sale lock pick ad and was immediately kicked by Bjork. I haven’t been able to get an admin to clarify the rules behind advertising lock picks for sale/buying. Again, understanding lock picks are illegal in-game (*To use with intent of stealing*) but ads with lockpicks seem to be walking a fine line of sometimes okay and sometimes not. 

The only thing I’ve heard is that is at Admin discretion. 

Edited by K.Dot
  • Upvote 2

I think this generally depends on the context. Without any, lockpicks are illegal under 307. of the Penal Code.

307. Possession of Burglary Tools

Any person(s) having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent to breach a lock without possession of proper licensing.

The key here is without possession of proper licensing.

Pawn Shops and locksmiths will have these licenses, which, meaning if these advertisements are given that context, then it would be legal.

I have a pawn shop as well (illegal one tho :D) and I constantly post such ads, lockpicks are generally legal unless you are caught walking around with it pointlessly - same with knifes (imo knifes should be fully illegal same with lockpicks). I dislike people advertising they sell knives. It ruins roleplay for a lot of people. 

So in this scenario I did not have my license. I don’t think that should constitute for me getting kicked. If anything an RP situation should of happened like a police investigation to see if I had one. 

This is where I don’t understand the rules, and it seems to be a fine line of “maybe I’ll kick them if I feel like it” situation. As Zaxer. Just stated he makes these ads constantly as an illegal pawn shop. And I assume he hasn’t been kicked because of it? 

Zaxer., do you advertise as a pawn shop? Maybe that’s the way around it? 

As under 307. At the end I read “with intent to breach a lock without possession of proper licensing”  So I ask if there’s no intent to breach a lock and they are just posted for sale are you breaking code 307? 

Edited by K.Dot
9 hours ago, Westen said:

I think this generally depends on the context. Without any, lockpicks are illegal under 307. of the Penal Code.

307. Possession of Burglary Tools

Any person(s) having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent to breach a lock without possession of proper licensing.

The key here is without possession of proper licensing.

Pawn Shops and locksmiths will have these licenses, which, meaning if these advertisements are given that context, then it would be legal.

How exactly is it "realistic" for lockpicks to be illegal? Is there anywhere on Earth where lockpicks are? I understand using them for illegal purposes being illegal. The thing is, people without licenses are posting to buy them as "Pawn Shops" but not getting kicked, but if you just post you're buying them, insta kick. 

IG there is no script for locksmiths. Not to mention there is no need for a locksmith as you never lose your car/house keys. So how would one know if I was a locksmith or not? What I’m gathering is it’s only legal for pawn shops to sell them?

I believe that they should be fully illegal, meaning completely black market (so no individual or pawn shop/business can post lock pick ads for sale/buying) or completely legal. No In-between.  

20 minutes ago, K.Dot said:

IG there is no script for locksmiths. Not to mention there is no need for a locksmith as you never lose your car/house keys. So how would one know if I was a locksmith or not? What I’m gathering is it’s only legal for pawn shops to sell them?

I believe that they should be fully illegal, meaning completely black market (so no individual or pawn shop/business can post lock pick ads for sale/buying) or completely legal. No In-between.  

I agree, either make them Illegal or legal.