Lower the reach of /low

I think this could be halved, range now is about 5 units (5 meters/ map units if u do /whereami or 1,5 walls high roughly). It's too far.

There's no good way to talk quietly to people close. People will hear you on the floor below, through walls etc.
This affects mapping too if you want to try and take this into consideration when designing..

It would also be very cool but maybe stupid in some situations if the range got a multiplier based on if the character was in visual range (just like how nametags hide behind objects now)
That could help a lot with the wall / different room problem. But could be bad in some situations but still worth I think.

so if you are not in visual range, then the range is calculated for example RANGE * 0.5, making it even shorter.

TLDR actual suggestion
Lower the range of /low by 50% 
Lower the range of all normal talking AND /low by an additional 50% when behind an object (based on when the nametag would hide if possible) 

Edited by bricksbricksbricks
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bricksbricksbricks said:

At least lower the range of /low by 50%
Lower the range of all normal talking AND /low by an additional 50% when behind an object (based on when the nametag would hide if possible) 

I just want to add that the idea of a listening field of the /low reduced by an additional 50% if behind an object or a wall is brilliant. 

Maybe even add a character randomization feature that changes the text, for example if the person is behind a wall, send "Hell woh ae you?" instead of "hello how are you?", to simulate the difficulty of understanding if ever heard while being on the other side of the object the person is talking behind. 

• Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, Lena said:

I just want to add that the idea of a listening field of the /low reduced by an additional 50% if behind an object or a wall is brilliant. 

Maybe even add a character randomization feature that changes the text, for example if the person is behind a wall, send "Hell woh ae you?" instead of "hello how are you?", to simulate the difficulty of understanding if ever heard while being on the other side of the object the person is talking behind. 

Yeah this would be another awesome layer for this, hope it's possible (the object thing)

I need this /low range decrease yesterday though, to decrease chat spam in crowded interiors, with bunch of irrelevant speech you would not be able to hear anyway.

21 minutes ago, Lena said:

This could be an amazing feature to add. I'd love if it was a thing. But yeah we need the /low listening field reduced by 50% at least.

What I'd like is a /whispergroup /wg, which only can be heard from the same radius you're able to whisper to people in

Nothing worse than doing /whisper John Doe bla-bla-bla-bla and /whisper Jane Doe bla-bla-bla and having to keep a conversation that way

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, SilentOG said:

What I'd like is a /whispergroup /wg, which only can be heard from the same radius you're able to whisper to people in

Nothing worse than doing /whisper John Doe bla-bla-bla-bla and /whisper Jane Doe bla-bla-bla and having to keep a conversation that way

This would also be super welcome for the really close convos and I can't believe we don't have this yet.

Not convinced:

Chat ranges are imho a typical case of "Don't fix what isn't broken".

We had a few experiments on red dead this winter with chat ranges being altered up and down, and one of the test results was that a too low /low range can make it pointless to even adress nearby friends with it unless theyre hugging you, not to mention the ability for others to listen in.

In comparison to this gtaw's /low range is fairly generous indeed, but I'd strongly recommend against shortening it much- while at the same time I'd argue the few inches we could talk about will barely be noticable ingame.