Court case times

Narco

I believe there should be an OOC rule on how long a court case can go on for, I understand that there is a lack of judges that cannot be tentative towards every court case although I do not believe it's fair to make a player wait an entire real life month for an ingame court case in which they would have technically served more time than they were supposed to by the time the court case gets addressed. 

There's been many similar cases to mine and others ie: 

I think that if a court case isn't handled by x amount of time / a sentence isn't given that the case should ultimately just be dropped as it's unfair for players to have to wait over 30 real life days for a charge on a game, just my opinion though. 

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It's important to understand that judges are RP'd by people who have other IRL commitments to tend to. Court cases could drag on for too long as different opinions and evidences get thrown back and forth and analyzing each situation and piece of evidence could be a time consuming process. It's impossible to put a cap on how long court cases take as new evidence comes to light and that evidence then gets evaluated and the sentencing could vary depending on that evidence.

However; to counter this issue, if I could remember correctly, judges issued out a statement that players couldn't plea "not guilty" if their arrest period didn't exceed a week or maybe two, I honestly can't remember precisely, this is because bail takes around 48 hours and then the whole court proceedings could take up some time. No contest is another plea that you could enter that would allow you to serve the sentence and fight the charges in court. If you were found to be incorrectly charged, the charges would get removed from your record.

Putting a time cap on the time that courts could take to read through the case and bring back a verdict could lead to things being rushed heavily, as sometimes, they may require to bring in witnesses, review new evidence, review new evidence, talk to officers who were on scene etc. and this could be a very time consuming process as people are sometimes at different timezones and it could take them awhile to get in touch with one another.

• Upvote 1

I can't talk about anyone else but I know I'm sometimes guilty of stalling the case because I have to review evidence and I have work obligations as well, so I just go "Nah, not today. Tomorrow." And then same thing again. However, imposing any sort of OOC rule to limit the time I strongly disagree with. I'm not a stranger to dismissing the case because it took a lot of time and person suffered because of it - it's only reasonable.

Stay IC. Go OOC if it was ridiculously severe.

You are guaranteed right to speedy trial, however, that means you or your attorney on have to push the court to keep moving too. Sitting and doing nothing doesn't help your case nor does it score you any points. If you believe this right was violated, you can always do something about it and/or hire an attorney. Keep the roleplay going! See where and how far you can take it.

Edited by Satnik
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I disagree with this.

no Contest plea is the way to go - or make it so players can no longer plea not guilty (courts did this a few months ago).

as people have stated above, putting a time limit makes people rush. Perhaps introduce a rule about Not Guilty.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Connor said:

I disagree with this.

no Contest plea is the way to go - or make it so players can no longer plea not guilty (courts did this a few months ago).

as people have stated above, putting a time limit makes people rush. Perhaps introduce a rule about Not Guilty.

What Connor said, I also think there should be a rule about pleading Not Guilty.

And also another thing for the topic, perhaps come up with some incentives or some sort of a system where it would motivate more people to become a judge on the server and for the actual judges to do the job, give them more motivation somehow. Personally I don't have any ideas because I've never participated in JSA roleplay but I'm sure something could work out.