Lap timing system for motorsports businesses

How do you racers feel about a checkpoint system instead? Where one would set up the race track by driving around and setting up checkpoints where needed beforehand.

Is it worse or better than the proposed solution?  

GTA is so centered around vehicles, I really like this suggestion! Even though I haven't ever raced before.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 1:27 PM, FatCatTuxedo said:

RageMP needs to fix colshapes first. You can't have a finish line with a sphere colshape.

As far as the colshape size can be set to fit the road width, I don't see an issue as it'll trigger a lap count/time in the same way? The mapped timing line can be shifted according to the position where the colshape triggers?

29 minutes ago, AlfaCorse said:

As far as the colshape size can be set to fit the road width, I don't see an issue as it'll trigger a lap count/time in the same way? The mapped timing line can be shifted according to the position where the colshape triggers?

Look up what a sphere is. It's not a straight line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:04 PM, AlfaCorse said:

Detailed Description

After recently opening a new kart track on the server and running multiple large hillclimb events in the past, I realized it is quite painful to keep score of positions and laps manually during an event. This is especially highlighted while some of the faster drivers start lapping the rest of the field. This can lead to mistakes, which are unfair on the participants who sacrifice a lot of time and effort to prepare and take part in such events. 

Pretty much all levels of motorsports in the real world utilize some sort of a transponder-based timing system, thus I think it’d be reasonable for the motor racing event organizers of GTAW to have a similar system in place.

My idea would be to implement a simple system, which can be utilized in the following way:

• Add drivers to a race heat
  • Specify the type of the race (lap race/point-to-point)
    • If a lap race, specify the number of laps.
  • Specify the width and position of the timing loop
    • If a point-to-point race, specify both start and finish.
  • Print-out after the race of the following:
    • Finishing standings
    • Gaps between drivers finishing in seconds
    • Fastest lap times per driver

A system like this could be utilized for all types of motorsports (Road Racing, Hillclimb, Rally, Time Attack).

How will it benefit the server?

A proper lap timing script would be a more efficient way of running any sort of a motoring event in-game. It reduces human error, speeds up roleplay and considerably shortens event times (biggest issue with motorsport events is their long duration).

Alongside helping businesses and motorsport governing bodies in running their events, such system could be utilized by official SAMRA teams in private testing/practice as well, further providing better tools for proper motorsports RP. I think the system would benefit a lot of factions/businesses/individuals who are in touch with this sub-genre of RP. Here’s a list that includes most of the current stakeholders on the server:

• San Andreas Motorsport Association (official faction)
  • Autosport Club of San Andreas (business)
  • Aurum ProKart (business)
  • K1 GoKart (business)
  • Speedzone (business)
  • Midtown Madness Race track (business)
  • Canonball Raceway (business)
  • Pacific Aurum Racing (SAMRA team)
  • WE Motorsports (SAMRA team)
  • Blacklisted Motorsports (SAMRA team)
  • Auto Exotic-BTR Motorsports (business/ SAMRA team)
  • Crowex Motorsports (SAMRA team)
  • Syndicate Motorsports (SAMRA team)
  • IMEX Motorsports (official faction/business/SAMRA team)
  • Nusantara Atomic Racing Club (business/SAMRA team)

Such system has been suggested in early 2022 as well by a fellow enthusiast: https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/69887-go-karting-business-script/#comment-744004

Considering that airsoft already has a dedicated gameplay system, and motorsport RP as a sub-genre has gained some considerable traction lately with SAMRA, ASCOSA and multiple kart tracks, I think it’d be reasonable addition to the server.

Another addition to this that would be amazing, is the ability to visibly map out tracks away. Giving you the ablity to not only see the road ( it could be flagged and checkpoint with tires and checkered flags), but you can stop and start races.

I know it was possible on fivem, not too sure on rage but being able to experience it was so bloody fun.